FM3 Why... Did I Mess Up?!

PRSfreak4

Power User
Have you ever made such a subtle, yet pronounced guitar solo mistake that you just sit around and ponder why... for a long time?

Well that happened to me this weekend playing Passion's version of "How He Loves" at church on my FM3. We had the room volume cranked, everything felt great, I was in the groove. All of a sudden, I looked down at my fretboard and my brain told my finger to do something that I knew was wrong, and the dang thing did it anyway... Fortunately I recovered, but man, it just is like an itch that you cannot scratch now. Really all I can do is laugh it off as a 'worship fail' (if you don't know, youtube it) and own it.

Have you ever experienced something like that where you brain/finger communication is misaligned and the inner perfectionist is screaming so loudly that you can't get away? :tonguewink:

Enjoy:

Preset attached for the Hook 34-2B that's absolutely amazing in the Fractal lineup.

Attachments

• Hook Ambient 513.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 14
I've heard (and done) worse than that! I do know what you mean though. I sometimes think my brain is out to sabotage me when I'm performing! One instant of lost focus and Bam! Instant clams! :eek:

Man, I have done it more times than I can count. You did exactly the right thing playing through it. Just say you were doing a bit of jazzy “outside” playing there. Or just say “I did that section in the key of Fd… that’s F Demented!

Man, I have done it more times than I can count. You did exactly the right thing playing through it. Just say you were doing a bit of jazzy “outside” playing there. Or just say “I did that section in the key of Fd… that’s F Demented!

Yes, I felt effed and demented simultaneously so there's that lol. I'm learning a lot through this though on how I really have to balance my desire for a 'perfect solo' and allowing grace with the limited amount of practice for that solo I really had. It changed from what I did Saturday night to Sunday morning and should've mentally been a hint more prepared.

Glad I am not alone though ;) Great to have an FM3 again and I'm going super minimalist for most of my gigs with the rig and a single expression pedal.

Rock on crew 🤘

Been there, done that....I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Band sounds good btw!
Thanks @Stratman68! Great band this weekend, loved the dynamics we had together!

Even John Petrooch messes up…it’s all about how well you bounce back and land on your feet what matters. I say you did a solid job of reeling it back in. Your tone sounds great by the way.

I am more the opposite... I may at times hit a correct note :p

I like to state that I have the talent to sound like a world class player to a complete n00b within the space of just a few measures.

With some luck, I can get a solo right, but how some people play through whole songs w/o mistakes beats me... :D

This makes I can only gig simple stuff or as a second guitar player, preferably reading the chords.

I've only recently watched a reunion concert of The Police and I can not imagine the pressure if I had to be Andy Summers... (or any guitar player in a trio)

-
I was live in direct on radio once and thought I would be scared sh*tless... Unexpectedly, once it was our turn, I was calm and only missed one note early on.
-
I've seen several misses from Steve Lukather, but only cos I've watched him a lot. In a gig here during Rosanna, he even used the mic to say, "Sorry! My mistake!"

Last edited:
Have you ever made such a subtle, yet pronounced guitar solo mistake that you just sit around and ponder why... for a long time?

Well that happened to me this weekend playing Passion's version of "How He Loves" at church on my FM3. We had the room volume cranked, everything felt great, I was in the groove. All of a sudden, I looked down at my fretboard and my brain told my finger to do something that I knew was wrong, and the dang thing did it anyway... Fortunately I recovered, but man, it just is like an itch that you cannot scratch now. Really all I can do is laugh it off as a 'worship fail' (if you don't know, youtube it) and own it.

Have you ever experienced something like that where you brain/finger communication is misaligned and the inner perfectionist is screaming so loudly that you can't get away? :tonguewink:

Enjoy:

Preset attached for the Hook 34-2B that's absolutely amazing in the Fractal lineup.

Been there, done that more than I like to admit. Nice recovery on your part. BTW, nice tone and playing helped minimize the damage!

HE knows and appreciates your efforts! 😉

Nice recovery. And great tone. Don’t think I have ever played a gig where I didn’t mess up at least one solo. Luckily/sadly the punters in the pubs we play don’t care/notice. I tend to blame my personal failures on our drummer for playing too fast. I would post them on Youtube under “Indie Cover Band Fail“ but they probably would be taken down and/or trolled mercilessly

At least 90% of the people there didn't even notice. If you start strong and - more importantly - finish strong, a couple of clams in the middle will rarely be remembered. Had you reacted to the 'mistake', that percentage would be lower. Way to continue through it.

At least 90% of the people there didn't even notice. If you start strong and - more importantly - finish strong, a couple of clams in the middle will rarely be remembered. Had you reacted to the 'mistake', that percentage would be lower. Way to continue through it.
Nice recovery. And great tone. Don’t think I have ever played a gig where I didn’t mess up at least one solo. Luckily/sadly the punters in the pubs we play don’t care/notice. I tend to blame my personal failures on our drummer for playing too fast. I would post them on Youtube under “Indie Cover Band Fail“ but they probably would be taken down and/or trolled mercilessly
Thanks for the confidence boost, and that is really where my mind fortunately went was "what if I stayed in my mistake" or acknowledged in a more pronounced way, it had the potential to get really bad. My approach to these has always been that it is better to completely stop and reorient yourself to the fretboard then continue, and that's the fascination with it. I knew where I needed to be, but my hand or my brain did not agree for 2.2 seconds.

Just fascinating how the brain works where I literally had a freak out moment because of how loud I was amplified, it just felt like more pressure in a way. But my reaction to it was, "wow, did my finger really just do that?" :tearsofjoy:

Overall just a lesson learned that it's normal, practice more, and routinely laugh it off sharing it with other amazing guitarist that 'get it'.

🤘 y'all rock!

I just listened again because I’m back here. The shitty part about biffing is that you’re never more than a semitone away from loveliness….and that my friends is a minor 2nd and it’s such a happy little interval. 😁. Sunshine and lollipops all day with the m2….as the Jaws theme is happily meandering through my noggin.

I bet that almost nobody heard that. And it doesn’t help your own self because you had a proper mix and a good stratty lead that was EQ’d just right to stand out front. I think there was only one note that was out of key, followed by a not the best note, but it’s not wrong, followed by a backflip bounce that must of felt like Nick Jonas himself was showing you how it’s done.

That was more of a Bob Ross moment with a happy little accident. I wish that my old church had Pink Floyd guitar tones. All we had was stale bread and shit wine that they fed me when I was 14. I bet it’s not like that anymore. At least with the wine. I’m sure the stale bread and lack of Gilmoury tones is as strong as ever.

I stopped going there when I realized that sleep was more important on Sunday morning, and a cap of Franzia box wine is not nearly worth getting up for. And because my mom decided that I didn’t have to anymore.

On a side note, we used to have a Megadeth & Metallica heavy thrash band when I was about 21, and we would practice twice a week in the bass player and drummer’s church, and even got to use their PA and stage alter.

The pastor liked that we played nice religious songs called Holy Wars & Holier Than Though. We didn’t tell him the names of the other ones (Creeping Death, Blackened, Harvester of Sorrow, Damage Inc, Symphony of Destruction, Raining Blood, Dead Skin Mask, and what surely would have been his personal favorite Expendable Youth…because he was the YOUTH PASTOR!!!! )

Good times at the local fellowship

Another reason for me would be when you noodle too much in just two keys, like Am or Em.

Your muscle memory then tends to go to those notes, esp. if you are not a real musician and you don't hear all the notes in your head so much — if you are more someone who keeps their fingers on a scale, so to speak (which I think is the majority — after decades I still only know how certain notes are gonna sound, others I'm almost clueless)

That's easier to get away with when improvising on just a few chords.

In a prepared solo to more chords, repeating the mistake may result in a correct note... You don't want that ;)

Also, most people in the public won't notice, but most musicians are on to this by now and will see right through you ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom