Randy Rhoads got it done live with this rig. An FM3 and two pedals does this and more.

FPFL

Experienced
1664370819323.png

I just like historical gear for my original heroes, and Randy was one.
Looking at this and thinking about how much "RR: Tribute" means to me is one way to avoid option fatigue and the stress related to it.
One of the greatest live rock and roll albums was recorded with this as the floorboard. Two foot pedals and an FM3's 3 buttons can do this!

So much of the magic was in his hands and the choices he made on the guitar. When people ask me if the FM3 is enough, of course it depends on what you are trying to do...looping especially, that needs more buttons! In the back of my mind in most other cases, I am often thinking that if it isn't 'enough' are you worried enough about your songs - versus just your tones?

Just a cool pic and my thoughts. You do you, but hopefully this reminds you that YOU are enough with whatever you have... if you've been practicing! : ) Randy was a stickler for that and it shows in his work. That is why he is a legend.

Great question. A lot of his tone changes were volume knob rolling so its hard to know as he, and/or the soundman at the board, did the work to avoid obvious jumps in volume that might bring jankiness to the overall song - other than for bridge changes.

I tend to suspect that he used the EQ for a solo boost and mid push, but left the + on most of the time, given how dirty his core tone was for someone using 70s Marshalls.

Back
Top Bottom