Why are all the factory presets so bass heavy??

This is not a bash just a simple question? I’ve used my Musicman Axis, Pete Thorn Suhr, Les Paul and my American Strat. No matter what guitar I use its as if there’s a blanket over the speakers. Do I need to reset all the amp blocks??
I’m playing at pretty loud volumes through a pair of Yamaha HS7’s

20.04 firmware

if everything sounds muddy, then there's likely to be another cause. like greg says, check your speaker placement. another user had exactly the same problem a few months ago and once he changed his speaker position, everything improved dramatically for him.

if everything sounds muddy, then there's likely to be another cause. like greg says, check your speaker placement. another user had exactly the same problem a few months ago and once he changed his speaker position, everything improved dramatically for him.
My speakers are at face/ear level angled right at me less than 4’ away

I suppose that’s the case. I gravitate towards the plexis and like a cutting tone that’s not too hairy. The factory presets sound like a woolly mammoth
I suppose you've already experimented with the bass and treble controls on the back of the hs7's? That helped me to get the cut through tones I wanted

I have Yamaha HS8's and the matching sub.
I like them, but not sure if they are flat EQ in my room even though I have basic sound treatment for bass and reflections.
Overall seem pretty neutral. You can play around with the adjustments on back of the HS7 speakers and also I would stuff the back ports with a sock or foam to see if that helps. Also, pull them away from wall.

In general- I find the Fender amps to be bass heavy with a Les Paul, but overall the factory presets are pretty good.
Different amps sound ....well, different.
I also have Austin Buddy preset packs which are more complex and some would say better overall.

Of course, as noted use low cut as needed.

Also remember that you are listening to the recorded sound of speakers (IRs), being played back through other speakers (your HS7s).
It'll never sound like playing through a cab in the room.
I also have HS7s, the documentation they come with says to place them a good metre or so away from the walls. They are really boomy otherwise. I don't have a room big enough yet to do that (The Sadness), however I get by fine by running an EQ cut at the troubling frequencies, and rolling off a little bass with a high pass filter.

To my taste they are too bassy as well. I auditioned the factory presets when i got my new FM9 and thought exactly that. I would definitely low cut them if i would ever use any of them. But I would never use factory presets anyways, i prefer to tweak my own sounds.

FWIW- This past year I bought a used Matrix GT1000FX 2U power amp and pulled out an old 1 X12 CAB with Celestion G12 V30 in it.
Absolutely the best sound I have ever had with the AXE FX3 or the previous Fractal modelers I have had the past several years.

I hate to say it- but it is better than my Yamahas by a fair margin. I play all of the presets with the CABs off, of course.
In general more amp/cab in the room or real, more clarity, and I do very little tweaking of any preset.

I am surprised that everyone is clambering about where to cut the bass before figuring out what the problem is. Listen to some trusted reference material against other environments your are familiar with. There are lots of great Axe Fx gurus with YouTube material (Leon Todd et al) - if those sounds are too bass-heavy in your studio, you need to make adjustments downstream of the Axe first.

I am surprised that everyone is clambering about where to cut the bass before figuring out what the problem is. Listen to some trusted reference material against other environments your are familiar with. There are lots of great Axe Fx gurus with YouTube material (Leon Todd et al) - if those sounds are too bass-heavy in your studio, you need to make adjustments downstream of the Axe first.
Agreed. I find the factory sound to be very natural sounding, and even the defaults sound good and translate well to my FRFR cabs without any real problems.

Back
Top Bottom