I Found A Marshall I'm Really Enjoying...

yes, you’re right, but you have that amp inside fractal, so who cares ? 😁
My memory isn’t what it was. I’d hate to sully someone’s good name, but considering this wasn’t a good name I feel relieved. And yes the Cameron models in the Fractal are typically stellar. As far as physical amps go, I’ve never had the privilege of playing one but own 3 Friedmans, 4 Marshalls and one Metropolous Metro-Plex which cover my Marshally stuff in triplicate. As far as the Marshalls go, I have an original 2555, a JCM900 HGDR, A MKIII and a DSL 100W. I seriously like the 2555 the least and its worth at least 3x the money of the other amps.

I’m a Marshall guy. I own two Marshall jackets which are my favourite. JCM 800, JMP 2204 and JTM45 (with Plexi 100W tone stack) all the way.

Today I however noodled with preset 000 (Fender Bassman 59) for over 6 hours. Not going to buy a Fender jacket, but oh man that was fun. I’ll maybe have to think about having one Fender amp in my default preset.
You may want to jacket shop…….I have a Reissue Fender Pro with a 15” speaker. Totally clean until you get to about 8 on the volume. The tone between 8 and 10 will change your life. Unfortunately, it’ll rattle windows, too.

My memory isn’t what it was. I’d hate to sully someone’s good name, but considering this wasn’t a good name I feel relieved. And yes the Cameron models in the Fractal are typically stellar. As far as physical amps go, I’ve never had the privilege of playing one but own 3 Friedmans, 4 Marshalls and one Metropolous Metro-Plex which cover my Marshally stuff in triplicate. As far as the Marshalls go, I have an original 2555, a JCM900 HGDR, A MKIII and a DSL 100W. I seriously like the 2555 the least and its worth at least 3x the money of the other amps.
2-3 years ago I had friedman be-50dlx, be-100dlx and JJ 100 at the same time. I thought it was the top of the cream.
As soon as I found ccv 2A/2C I fall in love with them. Of course, I AB’d those ccv models with all 3 friedmans and guess what ? now the friedmans are gone for quite some time and I am happier with my sound than ever 😊

Last edited:
I've been shocked to learn how much I love Plexis. By extension, in my book, this means I love Friedmans with a high MV too. It took owning the Axe-FX III for me to learn this.
The Plil X Friedman kind of picks up where my Metro Plex (by all accounts, identical to Plexi tone) leaves off in gain but it never quite knocks on the door of high gain. To me, its the perfect amount. It’s aggressive, nice and open and doesn’t compress too hard if at all. What a great amp.

The Plil X Friedman kind of picks up where my Metro Plex (by all accounts, identical to Plexi tone) leaves off in gain but it never quite knocks on the door of high gain. To me, its the perfect amount. It’s aggressive, nice and open and doesn’t compress too hard if at all. What a great amp.
phil x it’s like perfect 800 IMO and I think it’s the best one from friedman line-up, even if I like a bit more gain personally for stuff I like to play.

phil x it’s like perfect 800 IMO and I think it’s the best one from friedman line-up, even if I like a bit more gain personally for stuff I like to play.
I also have the BE100 and the SS100. They’re no question all great amps. I’ve never heard a Marshall do what they do, personally. I will say when I’m playing with rented back line, I’m relieved to see a DSL though. I know I can make things happen with that amp. I’ve never been an 800 fan, especially at asking prices. I just dont get it. Plexis too. It’s back to my model T argument. MVs on amps are what, 50 year old tech if not more? An amp that needs to be at screaming volume to get the cream out of it for me is a non starter. Yes there are attenuators, or I can just wait for the venues refrigeration to kick in, too. Point is, things got better over the years. In my opinion current offerings almost entirely beat vintage gear in this entire industry. That’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it!

I also have the BE100 and the SS100. They’re no question all great amps. I’ve never heard a Marshall do what they do, personally. I will say when I’m playing with rented back line, I’m relieved to see a DSL though. I know I can make things happen with that amp. I’ve never been an 800 fan, especially at asking prices. I just dont get it. Plexis too. It’s back to my model T argument. MVs on amps are what, 50 year old tech if not more? An amp that needs to be at screaming volume to get the cream out of it for me is a non starter. Yes there are attenuators, or I can just wait for the venues refrigeration to kick in, too. Point is, things got better over the years. In my opinion current offerings almost entirely beat vintage gear in this entire industry. That’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it!
yeah, totally !
the thing is : If you gave 50 years ago any player to choose between friedman or marshall, I would say the ratio would be something like friedman 95:5 marshall.
They are overhyped, because there was nothing better at that time.

yeah, totally !
the thing is : If you gave 50 years ago any player to choose between friedman or marshall, I would say the ratio would be something like friedman 95:5 marshall.
They are overhyped, because there was nothing better at that time.
No doubt they changed the landscape of music, much like the Les Paul did. Back to the trusty model T, they literally changed the landscape with paved roads and traffic lights. Still, I wouldn’t give back my heated steering wheel or ABS for 100 of them. Time marches on but guitar players dont?

No doubt they changed the landscape of music, much like the Les Paul did. Back to the trusty model T, they literally changed the landscape with paved roads and traffic lights. Still, I wouldn’t give back my heated steering wheel or ABS for 100 of them. Time marches on but guitar players dont?
most guitarist are stucked a few decades back in time, but I don’t judge them, as I would love to spend at least some time in that era. I am from ‘92 and anytime I listen to older music than me or watch some classic movies, I can totally feel different vibe from that time. It kinda feels like life back then was slower, had more sag and bounce to it. now it feels faster, stiffer and much more harsh 😀

Last edited:
most guitarist are stucked a few decades back in time, but I don’t judge them, as I would love to spend at least some time in that era. I am from ‘92 and anytime I listen to older music than me or watch some classic movies, I can totally feel different vibe from that time. It kinda feels like that that era had more sag and bounce to it. now the life feels kinda stiff and harsh 😀
Without derailing this thread any further, life before the www. Was EXTREMELY different. That’s all Ill say about that!

2-3 years ago I had friedman be-50dlx, be-100dlx and JJ 100 at the same time. I thought it was the top of the cream.
As soon as I found ccv 2A/2C I fall in love with them. Of course, I AB’d those ccv models with all 3 friedmans and guess what ? now the friedmans are gone for quite some time and I am happier with my sound than ever 😊

This has gotten me really intrigued to retry the CCV channels. I only recently discovered how I like Friedmans, so I'm very interested in anything along these lines.

This has gotten me really intrigued to retry the CCV channels. I only recently discovered how I like Friedmans, so I'm very interested in anything along these lines.
Ok, got some tips for ya :)
try ccv 2A, treble at 6, presence at 3 and tweak nothing else.
for ccv 2c, input gain at 3, input trim at 0.65, treble at 6, presence at 3, boost the output, because of addional diodes it’s bit lower in volume than CCV 2A and tweak nothing else.
compare with your favourite tweaked version of friedman and let me know the results ☺️

Ok, got some tips for ya :)
try ccv 2A, treble at 6, presence at 3 and tweak nothing else.
for ccv 2c, input gain at 3, input trim at 0.65, treble at 6, presence at 3, boost the output, because of addional diodes it’s bit lower in volume than CCV 2A and tweak nothing else.
compare with your favourite tweaked version of friedman and let me know the results ☺️
I'm a Marshall guy all day long.
I used to really dig the Friedmans because they were an excellent modernized Marshall.
Then I took Leon Todd's suggestion and tried the Camerons. CCV2A, CCV2B.....and my god, they are perfect.
Every time I venture away, I come back to the CCV's and think - yup, this feels like home.

I should also add, that when using CCV 2A or 2C with FRFR or at home, it’s good to set input EQ low cut from 10hz to at least 50-100hz to be a bit more clear. When using real cab, this is not needed IMO.

Back
Top Bottom