Talk me off the ledge

Jdzialak

Long time helix user as my main FX board and amp switcher with tube amps for live gigs. No amp models.
Wanted to slim down so I got the FM9.
UI is deep. 4CM is a nightmare. Hum busters aren’t helping. 😔
And the scenes don’t work like helix snapshots. I can’t save different delay values in each scene without using ABCD. 
The 4CM template with hum busters is a noisy mess.
I’m gonna try an EBtech dual hum eliminator next.

Direct sounds are great, but that’s 10% of my needs.

Your mileage may vary, but in the padt I bought an EBtecha and it actually added a whole lot of noise that wasn't there before. Try to buy from a source that has hassle-free returns. I can't comment on 4cm (don't use it) but if you can work out your issues, fractal units can sound really good (though, admittedly, the UI is nowhere near as user-friendly as some competitors... until you get used to it)

The 4cm is particularly noisy with the Fm9 it seems. It was basically my main setup. It does vary with amp and room etc. the Ebtech worked best for me. Cut most of the nasty out. The downside is what to isolate changes because every room is different. The pad function didn’t work for me, but slightly turning O3 down to about 2 O’clock even though it is recommended at full. It can sound killer and I love it, mostly. But for whatever ever technical reasons the A3 just worked better but then I find that to be a big under use of it. All in all I went with some different setups for different instances using either direct, FRFR or 4cm. I also do not use the same modeler for each instance. A nice middle ground sometimes is to use a SS power amp with a speaker cab. Maybe try that and see how your ears like it.

“The 4cm is particularly noisy with the Fm9”

That’s disconcerting. Haven’t hooked it up yet, but that was my plan for it.

Humbuster cables can help a lot sometimes but sometimes not. I have an Ebtech Hum eliminator I got when Humbuster cables weren't always solving the issue (I had an FM3 at the time). The Ebtech definitely solved the ground hum even using just one of its two paths.

At some point after that I started using XLR to TS cables (I got them on Amazon) and I haven't needed to use the hum eliminator since then with 4CM (I sure feel like a broken record on this recommendation, but hey...it seems to work).

Long time helix user as my main FX board and amp switcher with tube amps for live gigs. No amp models.
Wanted to slim down so I got the FM9.
UI is deep. 4CM is a nightmare. Hum busters aren’t helping. 😔
And the scenes don’t work like helix snapshots. I can’t save different delay values in each scene without using ABCD. 
The 4CM template with hum busters is a noisy mess.
I’m gonna try an EBtech dual hum eliminator next.

Direct sounds are great, but that’s 10% of my needs.
We’re sorry you’re having problems, and do our best to help, but we’re going to need a LOT more concise information. What steps have you taken to debug/diagnose the problems?
  • Have you confirmed your connections based on section 4 in the manual?
  • Describe how you are connecting your FM9 using 4CM. Is the FM9 and your amp on the same power strip or outlet? What sort of cables? You mentioned humbuster cables? Have you confirmed they’re made correctly per the documentation in the manual and is the TRS end plugged into the FM9?
  • No, the scenes don’t work like Helix. Fractal uses 8 scenes per preset, and each block has multiple channels which the scene remembers, allowing a lot of flexibility.

Many of us came from Helix, and quite a few use multiple brands of modelers, so you will find a lot of available help, but the first step is to describe the situation clearly and in enough detail that we can help you.

So I’ve rechecked my connections several times and I’m confident they are correct.
No matter what I do I cannot use 4CM even with the humbuster cables and the hum eliminator box.
So I went back to basics and just plugged the guitar into the FM9 and output 3 into the loop Return of my amp. Total noise. Used a hum buster cable. Double volume now, but still noise. Hum buster into hum eliminator box solves that problem. Seems like a couple of hoops just to use the power section of my tube amp.
Next I tried just putting the FM9 in the amp loop, and plugging into the front of my amp. Just wanted to see if I could use it for delay, reverb, etc. not 4CM.
That only works using the humBuster cables, and the hum eliminator on both connections.

I might also add that a friend of mine has the FM3, doesn’t need hum buster cables, and just goes quarter inch out right into a power amp and has zero issues.

• Describe how you are connecting your FM9 using 4CM. Is the FM9 and your amp on the same power strip or outlet? What sort of cables? You mentioned humbuster cables? Have you confirmed they’re made correctly per the documentation in the manual and is the TRS end plugged into the FM9?
Everything is powered by a Furman P 1800 PFR.
Guitar goes into input one.
Output three goes to the front of my amplifier.
Loop send from the amplifier Goes to input three.
Out one goes to loop Return of my amp.

I did not build my own cables, I have a custom-made snake I’ve been using for years, so I purchased Hosa jumpers. TRS male plugs into the FM9…the other side is a TS female that would connect to my snake.

I might also add that a friend of mine has the FM3, doesn’t need hum buster cables, and just goes quarter inch out right into a power amp and has zero issues.
Try his fm3 with your setup and if you don’t get any issues with that option, then your unit might need to be looked at by fractal

I tried my new FM9 Turbo in 4cm with my Mesa Electra Dyne yesterday and there is a huge amount of ground hum. I’m using Fractal Humbuster cables. The hum is so strong and loud it’s basically unusable.

It’s way louder hum than the FM3 with the same setup, and that was without Humbuster cables.

I have a Morley Hum X on the way, but I’m not getting my hopes up.

I tried my new FM9 Turbo in 4cm with my Mesa Electra Dyne yesterday and there is a huge amount of ground hum. I’m using Fractal Humbuster cables. The hum is so strong and loud it’s basically unusable.

It’s way louder hum than the FM3 with the same setup, and that was without Humbuster cables.

I have a Morley Hum X on the way, but I’m not getting my hopes up.
I honestly don’t think it’s just an issue with my particular unit. I would like to hear from anyone who is successfully running 4CM

I honestly don’t think it’s just an issue with my particular unit. I would like to hear from anyone who is successfully running 4CM

Because I keep hearing these issues I went ahead and connected my FM9 Turbo in 4CM with my 5153 50w Stealth (I've done this with the FM3 and the FM9 but hadn't with the Turbo).

I used all regular TS cables (Mogami Silver).

Guitar > input 1
Output 3L > amp input
Amp send > input 3L
Output 1L > amp return

Grid is:
In 1 > out 3
In 3 > delay > out 1

Zero ground hum. Zero weird noises.

I did not build my own cables, I have a custom-made snake I’ve been using for years, so I purchased Hosa jumpers. TRS male plugs into the FM9…the other side is a TS female that would connect to my snake.
Wait...Hosa jumpers? Is that what you're calling Humbuster cables?

After reading that I really think it's gotta be your cabling causing your noise issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rex
“Wait...Hosa jumpers? Is that what you're calling Humbuster cables?”

I’m not an electrical engineer, but if you have TRS on one end, and TS on the other with no ring. That is exactly the same as a Hum Buster.

Back
Top Bottom