Suggestion : Why not load an empty preset automatically when sending a firmware ?

I have wondered about the same thing. I do find myself still noodling most of the time while new firmware loads, you just get a sad, abrupt cutoff once it finishes loading. Personally, I'm not sure which one I would prefer. Also, I am not sure if the system would know which preset to switch to, since any preset could be empty or filled. I guess they could have a hidden empty preset that is not accessible to the user.

I admit, I don’t understand the correlation between loading new firmware and an empty preset. I’m sure there is some great benefit involved, but I’m not grasping it. And being a buffoon when it comes to things like this doesn’t help either.

Could somebody explain this to me (in layman’s terms)…..?

I've measured the time:
2 min 15 seconds with a loaded preset
3 min 13 seconds with an empty preset
The empty preset theory doesn't work
View attachment 107883
View attachment 107882
Anyway, still not enough time to mess with The Dude's Rug, with o without an empty preset :D
Try backing up presets and cabs for the test. Pretty sure it will go faster with the empty preset than a loaded one. It seems like it re-loads the current preset in between backing each one up....

I admit, I don’t understand the correlation between loading new firmware and an empty preset. I’m sure there is some great benefit involved, but I’m not grasping it. And being a buffoon when it comes to things like this doesn’t help either.

Could somebody explain this to me (in layman’s terms)…..?
Oh wait, it’s a time thing. Loading new firmware on an empty preset goes faster, is that it?

Try backing up presets and cabs for the test. Pretty sure it will go faster with the empty preset than a loaded one. It seems like it re-loads the current preset in between backing each one up....

Not exactly. I've measured 2 min 15 sec with a loaded preset, 3 min 13 sec with an empty preset.

But that is what it says at the Fractal-Bot interface
1662447887594.png
OK, then that tip should be at the Receive Mode tab, not at the Send Mode tab

This wish is to improve time when Sending Firmware, though 🤓

Last edited:
Backing up and restoring is when it makes a difference. We’re not privy to the actions occurring inside the backup, but from observing there appears to be some preset copying, perhaps similar to the Preset Manager when we swap two presets and they exchange slots, then when saving them the empty ones are written faster.

The firmware is one long write without a need to swap anything. Once it’s finished it has to be written into Flash or NVRAM or wherever it’s stored, which annoys me more than the difference in time between backing up with or without an empty slot being pre-selected, because invariably I expect the FM9 to be finished well before it is and then stand staring at it waiting for it to finish.

Good idea. Firmware process could do it all behind the scenes : switch to empty preset, upload firmware, restore previous preset. Viola.
No switching needed... It would send an empty preset into the current slot (without saving) before starting the load (or backup).

Back
Top Bottom