Fripp interview

One of my top 5 influences. The Fripp has really opened up in the past few years. 40 years ago I would have never imagined he would be doing crazy videos on YouTube. I like the more relaxed and social Fripp. I use to read his diary entries back in the early 2000’s. He was sort of open in them, but often you had to follow his unique and winding way of communication. Thanks for the link!

One of my top 5 influences. The Fripp has really opened up in the past few years. 40 years ago I would have never imagined he would be doing crazy videos on YouTube. I like the more relaxed and social Fripp. I use to read his diary entries back in the early 2000’s. He was sort of open in them, but often you had to follow his unique and winding way of communication. Thanks for the link!
I was completely dumbfounded when I saw the first video of "Toyah and Robert's Sunday lunch". That is so different from his image as "Mr. Spock of Rock".

I was completely dumbfounded when I saw the first video of "Toyah and Robert's Sunday lunch". That is so different from his image as "Mr. Spock of Rock".
For sure. I remember at a KC show in the mid 80’s and some people who were near us were trying to record the show and I swear Fripp had some sort of internal radar and could tell they were recording and he kept giving these looks that could kill in the general direction. We had good seats and sound was blasting. I knew about his disdain for bootlegging and so I was trying to convey with my eyes I had nothing to do with it. It was a bizarre experience. It was a strange night in a couple ways. It was an excellent show, but there seemed to be some tension between him and Belew for a bit. It all subsided because the people trying to record got caught by security and lost the recorder. I could have imagined it all, but it seemed pretty damn real. Fripp was very sensitive to the energy of the audience. You’re right he was “The Mr. Spock of Rock”.😄

The Fripp has really opened up in the past few years. 40 years ago I would have never imagined he would be doing crazy videos on YouTube.
I don’t like those videos. His whole life he has been so serious and strict and now he tries to be funny? I don’t get it. I am a big Fripp and KC fan. The last line up didn’t do it for me though but everything else is great.

Says he has no interest in gear... uses two Axe-FX II, Helix, Roland VG-8, Roland GR-30, Roland GR-1, Roland GR-300, Roland GP-16, Roland GR-700, Roland G-808, two Eventide 8000, Eventide Eclipse, two TC-Electronics TC2290, Electro-Harmonix 16, Electro-Harmonix EH3003, Digi-Tech Whammy, MXR M102, Tech 21 SansAmp Classic, Boss SP-1, Boss CE-2, Boss DS-1, Guild Foxey Lady (V4), Xotic Effects Robotalk, Dunlop Cry Baby, A/DA Harmony Synthesizer, Pro Co Rat, Foxx Tone Machine, Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi V8, Robotalk, MXR Dynacomp, Univox U-915 Uni-Vibe, Baldwin Burns Buzzaround, Korg A1, Korg A2, Switchblade 16, two Pete-Cornish custom pedalboards... 😂

Last edited:
He says he uses a Helix just because Jakko uses a Helix. That is a brilliant excuse for the wife! Next time I buy another piece of gear I will tell her "Oh, I don't really need this, I am not interested in gear at all. But, you know, Bob is using it" :D

Last edited:
I don’t like those videos. His whole life he has been so serious and strict and now he tries to be funny? I don’t get it. I am a big Fripp and KC fan. The last line up didn’t do it for me though but everything else is great.
Well it all started during the shutdown and I think he may have had a bit of change of heart realizing the crummy world we are being forced to endure. A person gets a different perspective on life as their mortality really sinks in. Some get bitter and mean others get happy, joyful and grateful. I doubt he wanted to be remembered as a curmudgeon for all history. Plus he was softening a bit before that. Much of those years he was battling a very evil and artistically destructive music industry. After he won that huge battle more or less he became much happier. This is when all the bootleg stuff and rare gems started to appear. He along with some help embraced the internet and made it available for reasonable prices.

I do get your point to some extent. Sometimes Toyah gets a bit over the top, but hey it’s all to try to make us smile.

Well it all started during the shutdown and I think he may have had a bit of change of heart realizing the crummy world we are being forced to endure. A person gets a different perspective on life as their mortality really sinks in. Some get bitter and mean others get happy, joyful and grateful. I doubt he wanted to be remembered as a curmudgeon for all history. Plus he was softening a bit before that. Much of those years he was battling a very evil and artistically destructive music industry. After he won that huge battle more or less he became much happier. This is when all the bootleg stuff and rare gems started to appear. He along with some help embraced the internet and made it available for reasonable prices.

I do get your point to some extent. Sometimes Toyah gets a bit over the top, but hey it’s all to try to make us smile.

Good points. It’s good that he loosens up but those videos are a bit embarrassing I think and not really funny. But still love him!

I wish that instead of doing the KC tribute tour for some years they didn’t leave Belew out of the band and had focused on new material. That would have probably brought one or two albums with new songs. Curious what that would have been. I saw the latest line up tour once and I was disappointed. Also didn’t like the vocals. Levin said somewhere that KC did their very last live show. Hopefully they make a new album with new songs but I am afraid that won’t happen anymore.

Good points. It’s good that he loosens up but those videos are a bit embarrassing I think and not really funny. But still love him!

I wish that instead of doing the KC tribute tour for some years they didn’t leave Belew out of the band and had focused on new material. That would have probably brought one or two albums with new songs. Curious what that would have been. I saw the latest line up tour once and I was disappointed. Also didn’t like the vocals. Levin said somewhere that KC did their very last live show. Hopefully they make a new album with new songs but I am afraid that won’t happen anymore.
I agree with you about the latest line up. One thing is that I never will understand the idea of a band with more than 1 drummer. The other thing is that I can't stand the overdramatic vocals of Jakko Jakszyk. "Starless" is one of my favorite songs, but I can't listen a 2nd time to the version with him from the concert in Japan 2021.

I agree with you about the latest line up. One thing is that I never will understand the idea of a band with more than 1 drummer. The other thing is that I can't stand the overdramatic vocals of Jakko Jakszyk. "Starless" is one of my favorite songs, but I can't listen a 2nd time to the version with him from the concert in Japan 2021.

I have the same problem with vocals of Jakko. I don’t like the three drummer setup either. It is too much. I like the double trio with the two drummers of the Thrak era KC though.

I have the same problem with vocals of Jakko. I don’t like the three drummer setup either. It is too much. I like the double trio with the two drummers of the Thrak era KC though.
My favorite line up is Fripp, Bruford & Wetton (+David Cross). The intensity of that trio on "Red" is even 48 years later still amazing.
John Wetton is for me the best KC singer, followed by Adrian Belew.

very interesting article…and the one sentence where Axe is mentioned is certainly quote worthy to amend the Artist Page accordingly, eh?…
”With Crimson I use Axe-Fx, which is very good”

My favorite line up is Fripp, Bruford & Wetton (+David Cross). The intensity of that trio on "Red" is even 48 years later still amazing.
John Wetton is for me the best KC singer, followed by Adrian Belew.

I agree that’s my favorite line up too. And also the 80s line up. I like all line ups besides the latest one.

Interesting read...

I can say I've never really listened to Fripp or Crimson aside from a short clip here or there. I was not into prog at all during my formative years.

I've definitely been aware of him and remember reading a few articles and interviews back in the day.

One thing that really puts me off for some reason is a person that constantly refers to themselves in third person form... unix-guy doesn't like that! ;)

I have to add that I also like the music of the Thrak era a lot, but I still don't see the need for 2 bass players and 2 drums. Especially if you have Tony Levin and Bill Bruford on board.

I have to add that I also like the music of the Thrak era a lot, but I still don't see the need for 2 bass players and 2 drums. Especially if you have Tony Levin and Bill Bruford on board.

There is a special case where two good drummers are not redundant: the Phil Collins / Chester Thompson duets. When Collins abandons the microphone and sits on the stool, the band moves into epic territory

Last edited:
There is a special case where two good drummers are not redundant: the Phil Collins / Chester Thompson duets. When Collins abandons the microphone and sits on the drums, the band moves into epic territory

I concede that in a concert it can set a special accent like Collins and Thompson did, but is that enough for the basic concept of a band?

Back
Top Bottom