Sigh - Still On The Fence

Rolf1

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on the FX3 and then I ran across Rhett Shull's review (link below). Now, let me first say that my intentions/application for the unit will be strictly home studio recording.
I've haven't really delved too deeply into modeling since all of my recording experience has been by using a real guitar amp running through my pedalboard into an OX Box then through an interface and finally into Logic Pro.

I'm tired of doing all that crap and naturally am leaning towards getting into a modeler/processor unit.
Here's my concern:
Is this going to be way too complicated for me? I really like all of the benefits and capabilities of the FX but if I'm going to spend 90% of my time trying to "figure it out", then it'll be a waste.

Here's Rhett's review:

[YouTube]

Having owned a Helix LT and HX Stomp for years, I put off buying a FAS modeller because of people like Rhett saying that the UI wasn't as easy to use; and I have to admit that whilst I am a tech nerd, I remained mildly intimidated by the idea of how complex I imagined the Fractal UI was going to be.

Well, I've got to tell you that having finally taken the plunge with an FM3 earlier this year, I really don't know what all the fuss was about.

I'm totally comfortable with the UI on the device - I often make tweaks to patches on the fly and it's easy. I did take the time to read the manual though, which helped a great deal.

I also decided when buying the FM3 that I was only going to stick to the "authentic" tab of real amp controls and keep it simple. That personal decision lasted all of 20 minutes! - It's great being able to drill down to tweak details, but only if you really want to. You get to decide how deep (or not) you want to go with FAS gear.

I don't regret my purchase at all, and I prefer the FAS device to the other modellers that I've owned and it sounds excellent.

Last edited:
Oh boy... This video again... Honestly, if you're using it at home and use Axe Edit 3, then it's the easiest modeler to work with. I wouldn't buy into the word of a guy that received a top-of-the-line piece of equipment and let it sit for years before quickly starting to use it to make money off a click-bait video all while making slight tweaks to factory presets and selling them.

I'll just say that you can make awesome sounds with a lot of pieces of gear on the market today, but the Axe FX III is by far my favorite musical purchase and the best money I've spent. If you don't want to buy it, then that's your decision. No skin off our teeth.

In case you're interested, here is the link to the previous discussion on this forum.

I literally know 100s of guitar players, and a high percentage of them wouldn't care to put in the time to effectively use this in the studio. I have used my AXE3 exclusively in the studio for a few years and I recommend it. But I spent a lot of time and I'm still learning. It's the wrong question to ask on this forum though, you will hear "it's not that hard" over and over, and no one is going to steer you towards another solution like plug-ins, for example.

I appreciate the positive reinforcement.
I didn't know Rhett's video had been so widely circulated. I do watch his videos and reviews as I think of him on the same level as Pete Thorn and Rick Beato in terms of credibility.

Thanks again.
I think I'm going to take the plunge.

MAJOR PROBLEM: YOU GOTTA LEARN A BIT

YouTubers get money from clicks and views. Lambastic titles get the clicks and views.

The title influences how you receive the info they say in the video.

If my channel made a video called “YOU CANT SOUND GOOD WITHOUT THIS SETTING” and I show that you must use a delay block with an 8% mix only, unfortunately a lot of presets will have that for no good reason other than some guy on the internet said so. :)

I dunno man, when I was researching to buy, I looked at the what the actual people using the product were doing with it, not what an influencer review video for clicks thought about it, and there were lots in 2013 too.

I see you decided to buy, but if I can pass along any advice at all, imho, avoid the influencer reviews lol.

There are multiple resources like the Fractal Wiki, manuals and guides as well as this forum that will answer any question you have about using the Axe III. The UI is not as daunting as the video claims but since you're using it in a studio environment, the computer editor (Axe Edit III) would probably be the logical option for navigating the unit.

When it comes to tones and recording guitars, there's nothing that comes close to Fractal's modeling. It's simply the best on the market. As with any gear, there is a learning process but it's as simple or complex as you choose to make it. If you want videos to use as resources, I suggest Rosh Roslin, Leon Todd and Cooper Carter as the 3 that have the most concise content covering most anything you'll need.

Thanks.
Sounds like my kind of gang!
No offense to Rhett - however many of his videos are somewhat not a complete story, tube shortage, string gauge, etc. He is an ok guy, but he is young and really hasn't spent a whole lot of time in the trenches. The AF3 is pretty amazing for what you pay. Fm9 as well. Sometimes Yters can be irresponsible - I have ok sized channel and I try to be honest with folks vs just getting clicks.

I literally know 100s of guitar players, and a high percentage of them wouldn't care to put in the time to effectively use this in the studio. I have used my AXE3 exclusively in the studio for a few years and I recommend it. But I spent a lot of time and I'm still learning. It's the wrong question to ask on this forum though, you will hear "it's not that hard" over and over, and no one is going to steer you towards another solution like plug-ins, for example.
I have guitar players come into my studio and I set up a simple patch : in -> amp -> cab -> out. I show them the amp / cab picker and tell them to find the amp they wish they had, then a cab that matches. Takes less than 10 min and they have smiles wide and we get to recording.

I have guitar players come into my studio and I set up a simple patch : in -> amp -> cab -> out. I show them the amp / cab picker and tell them to find the amp they wish they had, then a cab that matches. Takes less than 10 min and they have smiles wide and we get to recording.
Ha ha! I do that all the time, but definitely not the user story I was referring to. Those of us who took the plunge and learned how to do it are normally the ones who say "it's not that hard".

The UI is not hard to learn and use. I use it even more than the editor, and this is coming from a guy brand new to Fractal gear when I got my Axe III. Prior to that, the most complicated gear I had was a Tri Axis.

Back
Top Bottom