Budda

Axe-Master
You know when you have an itch (tobacco/kindred burst) and you just need to scratch it? And you have a lovely guitar that just isn't getting much use that covers the cost of that itch? Me too!

2008 R0 "G0" Guitar Center run in Darkburst. Modded with BKP abraxas/emerald set and sprague vitamin Q caps, 85-95 neck and 9.35lbs. There's a quick clip at the bottom.

Pics! lawd they might need resizing.
0c96ae12-264c-47bb-9d14-8325083ce9c8-jpeg.431221

44dfbf65-5b13-4d4c-8356-0ec7766f5d1d-jpeg.431222

7d06c9da-9613-45a6-81fe-09120ae5aaba-jpeg.431223

3fcc1897-daf0-4cda-b615-de14d23607cf-jpeg.431224

Have you tried Throwbak 101s? if you haven't and like totally AB authentic PAF tone you should try a set before they go crazy price.
Not the BKs aren't great. Tim is a really on it guy.

Have you tried Throwbak 101s? if you haven't and like totally AB authentic PAF tone you should try a set before they go crazy price.
Not the BKs aren't great. Tim is a really on it guy.
I havent had experience with throbak but see them mentioned often. What does “AB” stand for?

I also see rewind and Monty mentioned as well. I actually passed on an 06 R0 with Montys because the finish was one I still dont like (i did turn the corner on dirty lemon and tobacco burst haha).

I will keep these in for a bit and see how I like it compared to the low output A3 in the R9 and the t-tops in the lpc. Variety is fun.

There is a Canadian winder Mike Turk who recently started again, and the guys i know with $$$$$ collections love his stuff (over throbak and rewind no less).

Dang Budda, another nice one……love them Pauls!

Regarding pickups, my absolute favorite hot pickup in a Les Paul are the Hot Heads from Motor City….Wade does em right!

Dang Budda, another nice one……love them Pauls!

Regarding pickups, my absolute favorite hot pickup in a Les Paul are the Hot Heads from Motor City….Wade does em right!
I think we are spoiled for options hehe. I have been happy with Vineham so far. May experiment a little later. P

Allman Brothers

If you thought BKPs were expensive get ready to choke on Throbak prices. They start at $620/set and go up from there. Crazy.
Oh I know about the priced haha. Set of unused somethings for $600-$1k on guitarscanada. Turk set $350. Vinehams $240.

I havent had experience with throbak but see them mentioned often. What does “AB” stand for?

I also see rewind and Monty mentioned as well. I actually passed on an 06 R0 with Montys because the finish was one I still dont like (i did turn the corner on dirty lemon and tobacco burst haha).

I will keep these in for a bit and see how I like it compared to the low output A3 in the R9 and the t-tops in the lpc. Variety is fun.

There is a Canadian winder Mike Turk who recently started again, and the guys i know with $$$$$ collections love his stuff (over throbak and rewind no less).
I just mean back to back blind test with real PAFs. I don't rate Monty and I put 101s over Mike is terms of accurate sound.

Last edited:
Allman Brothers

If you thought BKPs were expensive get ready to choke on Throbak prices. They start at $620/set and go up from there. Crazy.

Tell it brother ..., I just bought a set w/ the 50's wiring harness for my historic !

And FWIW I'm pulling a set of Wolfetones because the Throbaks sounded better ( more authentic ) in a test LP that I had a chance to play.

And FWIW I'm pulling a set of Wolfetones because the Throbaks sounded better ( more authentic ) in a test LP that I had a chance to play.
I have a hard time settling on pickups. Because of the time it takes me to change them out and the inconsistencies in my playing, I can't really say if a set is better or worse than the other. Or even really that different.

I have a hard time settling on pickups. Because of the time it takes me to change them out and the inconsistencies in my playing, I can't really say if a set is better or worse than the other. Or even really that different.
I hear ya ....

I can be a total crap shoot ..., but I did have my guitar side by side w/ the guitar loaded with the Throbaks .... So, we'll see ....

Im recording before and afters any time something gets swapped. Helps me see if its just a new tone or a better tone. Great example is the R9 - sounded great stock, but I knew it normally has custombuckers and decided to try stuff out. It may end up back to stock or a different set of pickups lol.

In not looking to go down the pickup rabbit hole if I can help it.

Gonna build a separate preset first, but I have a hunch I will be pulling the bkp’s for something more regular PAF style. Time will tell! Its hotter than my 96 standard with 498/490 set lol

Back in about 1974 I bought a Dan Armstrong Plexiglass guitar for $300, because they were being discontinued. They had pickups with two prongs that simply plugged into place and a variety of pickups to choose from, but they went out of stock quicker than the guitars. I thought every guitar made after this should have this feature. Btw, years later I gave the guitar to my son, who had it stolen from his car shorty after. When I showed him what they go for now, he turned green. Also, it was maybe my favorite shape for a guitar ever, and look better in other colors than the clear.

I think the burstbuckers out of the R9 will get an attempt in this one. Considering the tonepros AVR2 as well.

I think the burstbuckers out of the R9 will get an attempt in this one. Considering the tonepros AVR2 as well.
The newest unpotted pickups that ship in the R9 are very good. I wouldn't add the AVR2 personally, It sound worse than the stock bridge if you lock it down.

Back
Top Bottom