Why not much love for the EVM12L?

What do those weigh, out of curiosity?
You know the famous meme with the various heavy items and their gravity wells, ordered left-to-right by mass, and normally ending with "neutron star" or "1970s Gibson Les Paul"?

A 2x12 with EVM12Ls would be to the right of "1970s Gibson Les Paul"....

Hey, here's one I haven't seen before:
FB_IMG_1599342344143.jpg
To the left of "Hammond B3 with two #122 Leslie speakers, but to the right of "1970s Gibson Les Paul"....

There's not much love because I stole most of it. Actually, I prefer the 12S. It's creamier.

I am also a fan of the EV12S! I still have three of them on the shelf I need to find a use for one of these days. I used to have two loaded in Thiele 1x12 cabs, and they thundered with the Soldano X99 based rig I had then. Seriously awesome guitar speakers, a version of the 12L that EV modded specifically for that purpose.

I have a Pearce G1 amp with has an EV-12S speaker, which I used back in the 80's. It is a very versatile speaker, which has the rare quality of being able to work well for both clean and high-gain tones. If it has any fault, it is that it is quite heavy.
I haven’t seen a G1 in ages! Phil Keaggy used to run his G1 into a Mesa Simul-Class 295 amp, then into a pair of M/B EV12L-loaded Thiele cabs. He sounded fabulous through them. It inspired me to build similar cabs for the EV12S speakers mentioned above.

I am also a fan of the EV12S! I still have three of them on the shelf I need to find a use for one of these days. I used to have two loaded in Thiele 1x12 cabs, and they thundered with the Soldano X99 based rig I had then. Seriously awesome guitar speakers, a version of the 12L that EV modded specifically for that purpose.

I haven’t seen a G1 in ages! Phil Keaggy used to run his G1 into a Mesa Simul-Class 295 amp, then into a pair of M/B EV12L-loaded Thiele cabs. He sounded fabulous through them. It inspired me to build similar cabs for the EV12S speakers mentioned above.
In addition to Phil Keaggy, it was used by Allan Holdsworth, Mike Stern, Andy Summers, and David Torn. At that time, there was no one amp that could provide me with so much versatility and great tones. And despite it, along with a few of my vintage Fender amps pretty much being relegated to imposed storage due to the convenience of my Axe-Fx, I could not bring myself to part with them.

In addition to Phil Keaggy, it was used by Allan Holdsworth, Mike Stern, Andy Summers, and David Torn. At that time, there was no one amp that could provide me with so much versatility and great tones. And despite it, along with a few of my vintage Fender amps pretty much being relegated to imposed storage due to the convenience of my Axe-Fx, I could not bring myself to part with them.
Totally understand. I still get a lot of use from my amps at home, but gigging has been covered almost 100% by FAS gear since 2011 for me. Love both.

They are great speakers for a certain style of music. They sound like trash for other styles.

The fact that Alexander Dumble called them the "best" should give us a hint about what
those styles are and are not. :)

I've read about Zakk Wylde's setup and tried to copy it in the Fractal several times. Every attempt with the 2203 into an EVM12L IR just comes out sounding utterly bizarre. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I've read about Zakk Wylde's setup and tried to copy it in the Fractal several times. Every attempt with the 2203 into an EVM12L IR just comes out sounding utterly bizarre. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Not correctly modeling Zakk’s incredible fingers, perhaps?

Kidding (sort of) aside, I think the EVM12L (and variants) have been most appreciated by players who seek accurate (and often LOUD) reproduction of what their signal chain/amp is doing. Unlike most “guitar” speakers, they contribute virtually zilch to the “breakup” characteristics of an amp, and (assuming a proper cabinet) are very linear in their overall frequency response right up to the point of smoking your eardrums. Wouldn’t be at all surprised if their “IR contribution” to a preset within an AFX might seem lacking.

Oops — almost forgot: do keep in mind that ANY IR is a “recording” of an amplifier driving a speaker (or speakers) mounted in a cabinet located in a room using one or more microphones placed God-only-knows where in the room and in relationship to the cabinet. Whether or not that particular combination of those things works with your preset are for you to decide. I wouldn’t be surprised if Zakk likes the way they sound on stage and VERY LOUD…

Prolly wouldn’t be my first choice for FRFR (by itself) — I’d want a HF component to cover the top end of FX, especially reverb — but a great LF driver for a 2 or 3way FRFR.

Was it the original FRFR speaker masquerading as a Guitar speaker??
It is literally a PA woofer*. The HF is a mess (HiFi wise) as you'd expect from any large woofer and that contributes the particular characteristics as a guitar speaker but you could build a perfectly decent FRFR out of it with a crossover.

* It's not alone in this, a few guitar speakers like the JBL D120F came out of PA boxes. They didn't really differentiate early on.

Not correctly modeling Zakk’s incredible fingers, perhaps?

Kidding (sort of) aside, I think the EVM12L (and variants) have been most appreciated by players who seek accurate (and often LOUD) reproduction of what their signal chain/amp is doing. Unlike most “guitar” speakers, they contribute virtually zilch to the “breakup” characteristics of an amp, and (assuming a proper cabinet) are very linear in their overall frequency response right up to the point of smoking your eardrums. Wouldn’t be at all surprised if their “IR contribution” to a preset within an AFX might seem lacking.
Oops — almost forgot: do keep in mind that ANY IR is a “recording” of an amplifier driving a speaker (or speakers) mounted in a cabinet located in a room using one or more microphones placed God-only-knows where in the room and in relationship to the cabinet. Whether or not that particular combination of those things works with your preset are for you to decide. I wouldn’t be surprised if Zakk likes the way they sound on stage and VERY LOUD…
Ohhhh. I need to go back, crank the master, and dial up my power amp settings (speaker drive and impedance curve especially) to even consider being in the ballpark. I've only learned to use those settings pretty recently (thanks Leon Todd! not tagging you tho) so maybe I'll take another shot at this soon.

Back
Top Bottom