Implemented A Klon-type Drive block

If it were that easy, aside from the other drama, I'm sure it would have been added a while ago. I'll bet it's that much different from normal drives it will take some re-work to get it in here.

If it were that easy, aside from the other drama, I'm sure it would have been added a while ago. I'll bet it's that much different from normal drives it will take some re-work to get it in here.
This... It's a weird pedal, because the drive knob isn't a drive modifier, it's a mixer. The circuit effectively has a TS style drive side, and a clean boost side. The guitar signal is split to go through both, and then summed back together again through the circuit controlled by the drive knob. Little bit of secret sauce in the clipping diodes, exceptionally high clean headroom in the boost circuit due to pedal running at double the rail voltage of most drive pedals and boosts. For anyone that's saying it's emperor's new clothes, it isn't. It was revolutionary when it came out because it has exceptionally good feel and transparency, and is an amazing clean boost. It also has failings in that it doesn't clean up that well when you roll the volume back, and could be seen as a bit of a 2-trick pony.

I'm not sure it would be all that straight forward for Cliff to model with existing Drive block architecture, but I'm pretty sure if it was available a lot of people would like it. FET Booster and TS in parallel could almost definitely achieve the same thing, but I think I'd be playing around for a long time figuring out where to set each of them to get the same approximate dynamics and tone.

Liam

Last edited:
Pretty interesting from the man himself:
And painfully honest as he always seems to be, Bill only showed one half of the circuit by playing bypassed or full dirt. There is plenty in between those that is genuinely amazing. I'll maybe buy a new model KTR if I can find one (the diodes don't bother me, I built enough clones over the years to figure out that diodes were key, but Bill F spent some time working round that, quite clearly). I'd love to have one in the Axe FX III, but I have a pretty good feel for how they work, so without cloning in the Axe FX III, my life will probably not change much. Awesome to hear from the horse's (centaur's? :) ) mouth, mind you. Thanks for sharing.

Liam

Last edited:
Wow. Please put this out for the FM3. Please include speaker thump too. This is awesome news. So who’s tried it and how’s it sound?

Just read the opinions on the Klone drive block. Shit. Wish I had a Axe3. Feeling pretty dang jealous. Congrats guys!!

Back
Top Bottom