FM9 Firmware Version 3.00 public beta 1

question about loading the new SIC. curves in this Beta , will they automatically replaced the prior ones or do I have to do something like the AXE3 ?

This is kind of weird but repeatable: in preset 275 - Dual Clean or 118 Jim and Leo, the amp panned right is making a bunch of static-y, oscillating noise shortly after booting up the FM9. It doesn't matter if the preset is selected at boot or not, and it's only happening in the right channel. It's not my guitar or cable, it happens even with the instrument cable unplugged (no change in volume in the noise either). It also still happens if I bypass and even delete the input block.

Eventually it stops, and it doesn't happen again until a power cycle. If I change to some amps the noise gets louder like Dweezil Bassman (only in the right channel), other amps it goes away like Euro Blue. I can bypass and enable the block and it disappears completely on bypassing just the right amp but returns when enabled. Playing doesn't seem to make a difference and is unaffected. The headroom meter is jumping around -19db for the affected amp. On the "left" amp it stays at -20 db with no movement, no matter the amp. If I then switch to certain models (Double Verb Vibrato is consistent) it starts generating a dull "hum" and the headroom meter jumps all the way up to and bounces between -1.8/-1.9. Then if I switch to any other amp it's resolved and doesn't come back on any of the patches until I reboot.

This occurs whether I'm plugged into USB or not, but it's easier to trigger the precise issues described with different amps from FM9 edit (using the one for this beta). If I try to edit from the actual unit it seems impossible to jump to a specific amp model and the problem goes away a lot faster, so I suspect other amps "fix" the problem the way the Double Verb Vibrato model does.

perhaps if we sit in Beta a bit longer the final release will include the drive block update and Klone

I can't speak to FAS' development cycle, but very often there's a freeze on new features once software hits beta. A change in values/measurements might not make a difference, but updates to the code itself might mean having to take it back to private beta.

I think that might have been one of the challenges with 2.x for the FM9, and the sheer number of changes that had been made to the III. At some point you have freeze the addition of any new features, so that the ground isn't constantly moving while you're trying to test.

I can't speak to FAS' development cycle, but very often there's a freeze on new features once software hits beta. A change in values/measurements might not make a difference, but updates to the code itself might mean having to take it back to private beta.

I think that might have been one of the challenges with 2.x for the FM9, and the sheer number of changes that had been made to the III. At some point you have freeze the addition of any new features, so that the ground isn't constantly moving while you're trying to test.
Software developer approved!

Export bug found:

I own both the FM9 and the FM3.

I’m a worship leader and I keep the FM3 at church and the FM9 at home. I’ll use the FM9 for gigs and personal enjoyment at home.

One thing that I do is create/build my presets on the FM9 and export them to the FM3 every week for worship leading.

This has worked flawlessly as long as I have built the presets keeping CPU under 65% on the FM9.

This has even worked with different firmware versions installed between the two units.

However, this week I installed the beta 3.00 on the FM9. The presets that I exported from the FM9 to the FM3 didn’t produce any sound. Inputs read fine but I had no output.

I didn’t even build these presets on the FM9. I merely imported them from a file system library on my computer, checked levels with no changes for this week, and then exported them to the cloud for importing to the FM3.

Getting no sound out of the FM3, I was able to confirm that it was only with these exported presets.

After more experimentation, I discovered that the problem is in the amp block and it is caused by the FM9 export.

What is happening is that the amp block is reverting to the '59 Bright Bassman with all of the tone knobs zero'd out.

So basically the export loses the amp you had chosen AND zero's out the settings.

Also, it appears other blocks are initializing to default types and losing their settings too. For instance, with the experiments I'm doing, delay defaults back to digital mono and reverb to small room, which are not the settings I saved with the preset imported. Bottom line is that the export is broke with beta, at least going from FM9 to FM3.

I haven't done the tests, but I'm guessing that the export will be a problem even from one FM9 to another but I'll leave that to someone else to test.

Export bug found:

I’m a worship leader and I keep the FM3 at church and the FM9 at home. I’ll use the FM9 for gigs and personal enjoyment at home.

One thing that I do is create/build my presets on the FM9 and export them to the FM3 every week for worship leading.

This has worked flawlessly as long as I have built the presets keeping CPU under 65% on the FM9.

This has even worked with different firmware versions installed between the two units.

However, this week I installed the beta 3.00 on the FM9. The presets that I exported from the FM9 to the FM3 didn’t produce any sound. Inputs read fine but I had no output.

I didn’t even build these presets on the FM9. I merely imported them from a file system library on my computer, checked levels with no changes for this week, and then exported them to the cloud for importing to the FM3.

Getting no sound out of the FM3, I was able to confirm that it was only with these exported presets.

After more experimentation, I discovered that the problem is in the amp block and it is caused by the FM9 export.

What is happening is that the amp block is reverting to the '59 Bright Bassman with all of the tone knobs zero'd out.

So basically the export loses the amp you had chosen AND zero's out the settings.

Also, it appears other blocks are initializing to default types and losing their settings too. For instance, with the experiments I'm doing, delay defaults back to digital mono and reverb to small room, which are not the settings I saved with the preset imported. Bottom line is that the export is broke with beta, at least going from FM9 to FM3.

I haven't done the tests, but I'm guessing that the export will be a problem even from one FM9 to another but I'll leave that to someone else to test.
My guess is that the fm3 doesn't recognize a preset that's been created/saved with a newer firmware than that running on the fm3, if you think about it it contains info about parameters that are not on the fm3 currently (e.g. speaker thump)

Export bug found:

You need to run the current firmware that is up to date on both units. New algorithms or changes to any modeling will cause presets written on newer firmware to not be read by previous versions.

@DLC86 - JINX

Export bug found:

You’re asking the current firmware on the FM3 to read the future, and it can’t. This happens often when trying to move data between two versions of software, whether it’s a general computing system or something like a modeler, if you move from the more recent version to the older.

It should settle down once they’re out of beta.

Is there no one else experiencing a pop/clicking noise when connected with SPDIF? I posted about this in the last firmware, but I keep having issues with it. My FM9 is connected to a Scarlett 6i6 through SPDIF in both directions (FM9 SPDIF Out -> Scarlett SPDIF In, Scarlett SPDIF Out -> FM9 SPDIF In). The noise sounds as if the clock is not in sync but it is. Scarlett 6i6 is set as Master @ 48khz sample rate. FM9 Word Clock is set to SPDIF.

This only happens when I boot up my FM9. Any preset has a pop while playing. Its periodic every few seconds. The only way I can get it to stop is to change the Word Clock to Internal and then back to SPDIF. Any help would be appreciated.
I was able to reproduce this, I'm still on 2.02.

Is this what you're hearing (at 13 and 22 seconds)

Like your results, toggling wordclock back to internal, then back to s/pdif made it go away

I didn't know the FM9 supported not being the master clock, thanks for the tip(for when it works)

I always use axefx3 as the clock source into the Scarlett(don't normally hookup the fm9 to spdif)
I had already worked around it with some hacky code that talks to focusrite control and auto sets the clock source so I don't lose audio when my axe is off.

You’re asking the current firmware on the FM3 to read the future, and it can’t. This happens often when trying to move data between two versions of software, whether it’s a general computing system or something like a modeler, if you move from the more recent version to the older.

It should settle down once they’re out of beta.
I'm an IT guy. I don't think it's too much to ask the FM3 to ignore the new things in the latest firmware.

In fact, I've had success with such preset transfers in the past with the two units being on different firmware versions. And there's really no good reason that blocks should ever be reset on any import.

That means that you need to implement such a feature in FM3 Edit; on import it may change the preset, and then you‘ll get a whole bunch of support problems why something is not imported.

I also would suspect that the problems originate from the Beta.

Ooc: you ever have imported FM3 presets to the FM9 when the amp features in the firmware weren’t matching? Was the behavior similar?

I'm an IT guy. I don't think it's too much to ask the FM3 to ignore the new things in the latest firmware.

In fact, I've had success with such preset transfers in the past with the two units being on different firmware versions.
A large number of us are IT guys.

How do you propose that older software anticipate newer settings that were not in existence when it was written, or that were repurposed? That's a big rabbit hole to go down.

And there's really no good reason that blocks should ever be reset on any import.
"really no good reason"? In your opinion perhaps.

Last edited:

In fact, I've had success with such preset transfers in the past with the two units being on different firmware versions. And there's really no good reason that blocks should ever be reset on any import.
It's possible to load a preset to the FM9 with a newer FW version from the FM3 with an older version but not vice-versa.

OK - anybody experiencing increased audio dropout when switching on certain presets on 3p0b1? I don't have time to troubleshoot now (getting ready for gig tonight) but will be looking into this tomorrow. So I'm just asking if anyone has noticed... and this is no Axe Edit, USB not plugged in on FM9 but I did load the beta USB driver yesterday

Clean preset #2, around 75% CPU, Change to Drive preset #5, around 76% CPU... audio lag is maybe 1-1.5 seconds... very noticeable, and I don't remember that dropout being so noticeable before 3p0b1...

Change Preset #5 back to Preset #2, audio lag is maybe a third of that or less?
Clean Preset #2 to Crunch Preset #3, back and forth - also maybe a third of it

I also notice the extra dropout changing from Clean #2 to Clean #1 (with lots of delay and reverb) ... tomorrow I will check to see if any block in particular is adding time. BTW - using switch HOLD function to change, set to HOLD Function Mode SWITCH UP

Back
Top Bottom