Best Live Album Of All Time

Live albums were really strong in the mid 70s. So many great ones released compared to other decades imo as an old bastard lol! - not sure why, or if some formula was being followed.

I'm a big fan of the 1st 4 Aerosmith albums but not a fan of much of that came after. Saw them in 77 - this live album from 78, though not very aclaimed, brings me back to that early Aerosmith sound.

Saw them on that tour at the Roseland NYC... Unbelievable show.

Absolutely! I was at both the Roseland shows, I think the first one was in January or February and then the LSFNY night in August (?) I skipped the first week of my senior year to be at that LSFNY show. Got there at around 9AM to get in line and met up with all the people I met at the previous Roseland show. Two of us actually walked into the venue and just walked around before the band got there, we walked backstage, upstairs in the dressing rooms, no one said a word to us. Hung out for a bit to watch the techs setting up the gear then walked out like we owned the place.

DT were still using actual TV’s onstage for screens!

This is how you start a concert: with a Hammond in the evening under the Russian's moon, with the song slowly gaining moment as the night falls off.

Have a look at some details of the emotive public along all the song. It is priceless.

For my personal tastes(obsession), top three… Who Live at Leeds , Zappa.. Make a Jazz Noise Here(or The best BAnd You Never Heard)..same final tour).., Pat Metheny Group, The Road to You, honorable mention…
Warren Zevon, Stand In the Fire
Tom Waits , Nighthawks at the Diner
Live at the Fillmore, allmans.

Well my personal #1 is Allmans at Fillmore East, but there are other great ones that have not been mentioned yet.

Little Feat--Waiting For Columbus

Lou Reed--Rock & Roll Animal

Humble Pie--Performance-Rocking The Fillmore

Yes--Yessongs

Gov't Mule--Mulennium

Gov't Mule--The Deepest End

The Band--Last Waltz

King Crimson--Meltdown Live In Mexico

Paul McCartney--Tripping The Live Fantastic (Preferred over Wings Over America)

Well my personal #1 is Allmans at Fillmore East, but there are other great ones that have not been mentioned yet.

Little Feat--Waiting For Columbus

Lou Reed--Rock & Roll Animal

Humble Pie--Performance-Rocking The Fillmore

Yes--Yessongs

Gov't Mule--Mulennium

Gov't Mule--The Deepest End

The Band--Last Waltz

King Crimson--Meltdown Live In Mexico

Paul McCartney--Tripping The Live Fantastic (Preferred over Wings Over America)
I know there were several faves my increasingly feeble mind could not conjure…all of these , especially the top 4 , are aces. ..all of them contain special transcendent moments that are so rarely captured on live recording attempts..this here might possibly be the height of Western Civilization…..

Melanie At Carnegie Hall 1973. Just one girl, all alone, playing her guitar and singing the wonderful songs she wrote. I was crazy mad in love with her.

Top 5 that come to mind

Allman Brothers - Fillmore East
Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus
UFO - Strangers in the Night
Jethro Tull - Bursting Out
Concert for George

I'm sure I've missed some but those are top of mind!

MM

Pink Floy - Pulse

This was my "best concert ever."
And I’m partial to this one because I was there that night and it was at the height of my DT fandom.

And Idk how Rev beat me to Dream Theater LSFNY, since it was my 1st DT show (but down in DC @ 930 Club), but I always loved Once In A Live Time even more. Probably had something to do with Derek Sherinian being in it, and that I was new into discovering DT.

I LOVE how they stick part of Have A Cigar & Enter Sandman into Peruvian Skies. WAY too cool!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom