Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 20.00 Public Beta (Beta 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome - I only just updated to 19.08 this Saturday :)

I am very curious about the new speaker drive algo. I always thought this was a somewhat under-developed piece of the puzzle (although Fractal was always ahead of the competition - also in this area). I will see, if I can squeeze in an update and some experimentation tonight.

Yes, so if you want the (new) default value, turn that parameter to 2.0. There's no need / reason to reset the entire channel.
Which is what I thought too - just change that parameter to 2 - but the release notes say otherwise. I wonder why?

Loving this. Sooo cool. And wow, speaker drive is a whole new world I'm just now getting into. TYVM.

Some bugs I've found, hope this helps this beta out:
  • Effect selections in AE/FC are off by 2 effect types (see example in first screenshot), most likely due to the newly added blocks. Example, in my screenshot this should be Filter 1 for TAP and Filter 1 +1 for hold. Probably AE bug.
  • Reverb channel selections in AE are only A & B (second screenshot). Probably an AE bug.
  • ^Ditto for Multidelay, but only A shows up in AE.
  • Toggling (A, B, C & D) through a bypassed drive block now gives an audible dropout of a couple milliseconds, don't remember it being like that before but I could be wrong!
Super grateful for all the new goodies though.

Stomps.jpg

Channels.jpg

Last edited:
Now I’m confused. Does your copy of the release notes not include this: “The default value (upon resetting the block) is 2.0 which gives roughly 1 dB of compression”?

Yes. So what it says is: when you reset the block, the value defaults to 2.0. It doesn't say that you should reset the block.

Your question was: "Do we do an amp block reset with this firmware? I’m guessing yes, but someone else said that he was told that we don’t."

The answer to that question is (IMHO): no, there's no need to reset the amp block. If you want the new default value, just turn the control to 2.0. Because if you do reset the block, you'll change other values too.

Hi,
does the speaker drive parameter heavily depend on the MV? I can barely see/hear anything with high gain patches with a low MV/lots of headroom, f.ex. the Cameron CCV (with the SAT switch enabled) or the Diezel Herbert (naturally not that much PA dist going on).
Does that mean that in an analog environment speaker drive wouldn't (or barely) occur in those instances as well?

That's an awesome feature!
It’s very powerful. But like they say, “with great power comes great responsibility”.

Things I learned using the tool:
  • Do a backup first.
  • Think about what you are changing and the potential to inadvertently screw-up the setting in presets where you don’t want them changed. Finding and fixing mistakes can be a long process so restoring might be the fastest path. See the first point.
  • Identify the presets you want to adjust.
  • Try the proposed change on one or two of those presets, before committing to a mass change.
The backup is the safety net. Always have one.

I won’t say how I learned this, but let’s just say computers are really fast and can do unexpected things if we don’t pay attention to the very small details, like an extra *, and thoroughly test our proposed actions. And that journaling in an OS and a smart sysadmin are good to have.

Question:

If I'm not mistaken, prior to this release it was said that speaker distortion, ie nonlinear behavior of the speaker itself, was generally minimal, and also ratty and undesirable. Does anyone else remember that?

Clearly this new feature is something different.

Is it improved modeling of that same component of speaker behavior? Some new aspect of it? Something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom