Possible help with tinnitus?

Mine is funny, I have days I can't barely hear it, and other days is so loud can't watch TV, aways in line with my neck pain, I have some problems from C6 to C4 and tinnitus and neck pain came together, I suspect it has to do with tension accumulated in the SCM out of the neck problems.

So what it helps for me is to move my head for one side to the other, like saying "no", a bit fast, and my T almost goes away, I guess some nerves get unlocked, or vessels unobstructed, who knows, I can't do it former the 20 seconds as it hurts. I have been so far unable to find a doctor that can help me, I'd rather get rid of the pain than the T, though, T has not gone worse for two years, pain yes.

Mine is funny, I have days I can't barely hear it, and other days is so loud can't watch TV, aways in line with my neck pain, I have some problems from C6 to C4 and tinnitus and neck pain came together, I suspect it has to do with tension accumulated in the SCM out of the neck problems.

So what it helps for me is to move my head for one side to the other, like saying "no", a bit fast, and my T almost goes away, I guess some nerves get unlocked, or vessels unobstructed, who knows, I can't do it former the 20 seconds as it hurts. I have been so far unable to find a doctor that can help me, I'd rather get rid of the pain than the T, though, T has not gone worse for two years, pain yes.
Sorry to hear about neck pain. Have you ever had a doppler ultrasound to check for your blood circulation? Mine came back clean (as did 2 MRIs and a Cat scan) though Tinnitus is still very much there. But the doppler scan may(?) show anything happening on the vessels (at least, I would think).

(Of course, don't take medical advice from a guitar modeling OEM forum).

Hi, I got 2 MRIs actually, all of them showing problems in my neck but doctors where unable to find a treatment yet, now I am trying PRP and if it does not go well, probably surgery to fix the vertebrae. But that doppler thing did not try, maybe it is helpful, thanks for the tip.

So really what is killing me is the neck trouble, sometimes I just innocently turn my head and the neck cracks like it is broken, a person at two meters can here it cracking. And also is affecting me in work as I can´t sit most of the time, actually if I am more than 15minutes sitting in front of the computer, the pain and noise sky rocket, it is a bit disturbing.

But getting back to the T, yes it is a bith, when it hits hard on me, I even hear some frequencies distorted, when it is mild everything is ok. I also can trigger it hard by all sorts of neck movements and even not moving: just clenching my SCMs and atlas makes it spark like blowing to the fire. I also hear arguably worse the days of bad T, like all that tension in my neck is doing something to my auditory system. I have been for two years like this and fear this will have already done some permanent damage.

But I am learning a lot of history, since cannot be in silence, I listen to a lot of podcasts :)

I had seveire neck problem form c4-c7 (and t1). I went to see a Gonstead chiropractor for three years!! I had constant pain with electric shocks going down to my arms. I could barely grip. I almost had surgery, which the surgent wanted to do. My chiropractic said don't do it, he can help, but if I do the surgery, he will no longer be able to help.
After several sessions, it has gotten better but not entirely solved; I still had pain.

What solved it for me was swimming!!! I swam almost daily or at least every other day until the pandemic started. Swimming is so essential even these days that last year we bought a house that has a pool and finally a few weeks ago I was able to start swimming again.
When I went on a vacation before the pandemic, I had to look up a nearby swimming pool.

If you increase the force of the tapping shown in the OP video to a good old head slapping then mild concussion does seem to work.

I thought tinnitus was as much brain related as ear related? The frequencies unable to get heard any longer by the damaged ear bit are generated by the brain because it doesn't like that void in the auditory spectrum ... so the frequency is 'turned on' all the time.

I have it - the high frequency whine type ... thankfully not the rustling paper type.

I can ignore it .... it's just 'normal' for me now. My friend has it too and he is demented by it when trying to sleep - he finds opening a window to let in traffic noise helps distract him from it.

Well it can be a hearing problem, or it can be from for example even stress, I know people with a perfectly fine audiogram who got it after some stressful periods, and then there is the somatic one:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3129953/

Mine normally is pretty bad but thanks to the neck pain I am more worried about the later so the noise is not that important :)
I had seveire neck problem form c4-c7 (and t1). I went to see a Gonstead chiropractor for three years!! I had constant pain with electric shocks going down to my arms. I could barely grip. I almost had surgery, which the surgent wanted to do. My chiropractic said don't do it, he can help, but if I do the surgery, he will no longer be able to help.
After several sessions, it has gotten better but not entirely solved; I still had pain.

What solved it for me was swimming!!! I swam almost daily or at least every other day until the pandemic started. Swimming is so essential even these days that last year we bought a house that has a pool and finally a few weeks ago I was able to start swimming again.
When I went on a vacation before the pandemic, I had to look up a nearby swimming pool.
yeah I have been told that a couple of times, I have been training for my whole life, I just stopped doing Crossfit after 7 years, and now do only "machine lifting" (it kills me) because even jumping Double Unders is painful. I may try to find a pool nearby, I live in the Bavarian country side so it is not that easy but guess have to seek more. Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm no audiologist but I'm pretty sure ringing in the ear is mostly from nerve damage. I don't see how thumping your fingers on the back of your head is going to offer any relief. I've had a mild case for years but after my last go around with COVID I can be in a room that is dead quiet and a ringing in my left ear will just spontaneously happen to the point where it's wincingly painful.

It's a simple exercise, I'm going to give it a try for a week.
I believe mine is of the psychological variety in response to hearing loss stemming from too many too loud concerts and a penchant for loud music in headphones over many years - it's at least 2 (maybe 3) high frequency tones (like around 10khz) in both ears at roughly the same volume but can very somewhat, and often a feeling of blocked ears when there is no actual blockage. Been getting gradually worse over the last 10 years or so, to the point now where it's starting to affect me more in every day life - I've reached 100% on the tv's volume control lol! - but oddly, some louder sounds are less tolerable to me than they used to be - I play guitar at very low volume (80db) because it hurts at louder volume, but, at lower volume, I have trouble hearing some frequencies while playing - wish I'd been more careful with my hearing when younger - tried all the "tricks" - nothing has worked

I believe mine is of the psychological variety in response to hearing loss stemming from too many too loud concerts and a penchant for loud music in headphones over many years - it's at least 2 (maybe 3) high frequency tones (like around 10khz) in both ears at roughly the same volume but can very somewhat, and often a feeling of blocked ears when there is no actual blockage. Been getting gradually worse over the last 10 years or so, to the point now where it's starting to affect me more in every day life - I've reached 100% on the tv's volume control lol! - but oddly, some louder sounds are less tolerable to me than they used to be - I play guitar at very low volume (80db) because it hurts at louder volume, but, at lower volume, I have trouble hearing some frequencies while playing - wish I'd been more careful with my hearing when younger - tried all the "tricks" - nothing has worked
And didn't you consider using hearing aids? that TV experience sounds familiar to me, I read it from Steve Lukather, he said had that issue and eventually started using hearing aids.

I luckily still can watch TV and understand everything at even less than 48/50 db. I do have some hearing loss, like many people around my age (48) I still hear up to about 13KHz, though turning up the volume beyond 10KHz, anyway those are really nasty sounds :)

But I am now shit scared of high volumes so for me playing guitar ata home is 70 / 75 db max, which I guess can make my patches weird as normally people tune them a bit louder.

I hope some day research brings us relief, any company releasing any good treatment for this is going to make a ton of money so I cannot understand there is not yet anything even moderately effective.

And didn't you consider using hearing aids? that TV experience sounds familiar to me, I read it from Steve Lukather, he said had that issue and eventually started using hearing aids.

I luckily still can watch TV and understand everything at even less than 48/50 db. I do have some hearing loss, like many people around my age (48) I still hear up to about 13KHz, though turning up the volume beyond 10KHz, anyway those are really nasty sounds :)

But I am now shit scared of high volumes so for me playing guitar ata home is 70 / 75 db max, which I guess can make my patches weird as normally people tune them a bit louder.

I hope some day research brings us relief, any company releasing any good treatment for this is going to make a ton of money so I cannot understand there is not yet anything even moderately effective.
yes - been procrastinating but, def considering hearing aids now to try and mask the tinnitus sound.

Only thing that works for me as well.

When I was younger and had a tougher time falling asleep right away, I would fall asleep with a small transistor radio under my pillow, to distract my brain from hearing the ringing. Now that I'm in my late 50's, it's no longer an issue because I fall asleep sitting up on the couch! Once I wake up and figure out where the hell I am, up to bed and out like a light.
It's like at 50 you start going back to being like an infant who is talking one minute and asleep the next, even in public, you can just go out in a restaurant or movie, it's all good.

Acamprosate (Campral®) has been effective in one small study for treating noise-induced hearing loss (from loud amps), but its primary use is to treat alcoholics. Yes, my undergrad is pharmacy and I worked as a pharmacist for several years before switching to computer programming. It takes a while to work but in one small study, at 90 days 87% of patients in a trial showed improvement, with 3 losing the tinnitus completely. There are more, larger studies planned, so it may be a while before your doctor would prescribe it for that. However if you also think you drink a bit too much, you might ask your doctor about it now. There is a good pharamcological basis for it being effective in the chemicals that it blocks and enhances, which are stimulated and inhibited in noise related hearing loss. If you are on a benzodiazepine (Valium, Xanax, etc.) that can help. I would not recommend starting a drug in this class for tinnitus due to the addiction liability. In peer reviewed studies (studies that other medical professionals agree upon), acamprosate is the best bet, with no, or minimal side effects in most people. Some GI, sedaton, and reduction in libido can occur, so that can be a deal breaker, although those side effects can subside the longer you are taking the medication. So if you have a good doctor willing to try more cutting edge types of treatment, and it is really interfering with your quality of life, you might suggest it to your physician. It is contraindicated (don't take) if you have depression or suicidal tendencies, or kidney problems.

Mayo Clinic page on Acamprosate

There are some mental side effects listed, but consider this is used in alcoholics, and many of the more common side effects are already present in persons who drink regularly and/or heavily.

Interesting you mention April Wine. I attribute the beginnings of my tinnitus to a Van Halen Concert in the early 80s. It was extremely overthetop loud (and bad - no offence to EVH rip) - I had severe ringing after and literally could not hear people speaking (voices just sounded like buzzing) - took 3 days for my hearimg to return. I was quite worried at the time that I had permanent severe damage. In those days most people had no clue about (or were ignoring) the mechanics of hearing loss and how damage can't be undone/fixed.
Funny, my tinnitus started at the same time and from the same band - Van Halen circa 1981.

Funny, my tinnitus started at the same time and from the same band - Van Halen circa 1981.
they were over the top loud in the early days, to the point of being unbearable - I was young and stupid then, and would only later come to understand what a correct foh sound should be - it was not that. At some point I've heard of authorities with db meters at big shows measuring for safety - I'm sure the early VH shows I attended in the early 80s would've got shut down with any such scruitiny. But they were our heros and we loved it - most never gave a 2nd thought about hearing loss from music volume in those days.

Someone suggested I try Niacin which you can get at most stores. You need to start with a low dose and build up as it causes flushing. My tinnitus is pretty quiet to start with but this did help make it even quieter. Also, Niacin is similar to some cholesterol meds so talk to a doctor first.

Someone suggested I try Niacin which you can get at most stores. You need to start with a low dose and build up as it causes flushing. My tinnitus is pretty quiet to start with but this did help make it even quieter. Also, Niacin is similar to some cholesterol meds so talk to a doctor first.
You need to make sure you buy the one with a flush.

My wife got tinnitus from the COVID vaccine. Out of the blue last year she developed tinnitus. Went to see doctors, they couldn't figure out what caused it. They thought maybe an infection, etc. Gave her some steroids. Didn't help.

Then I got a news feed about "Vaccine induced tinnitus". I asked her when her tinnitus started and sure enough it was right after getting the vaccine.

Back
Top Bottom