Why not much love for the EVM12L?

Had two EV's in a modified boogie'd SF Twin Reverb way back when, and I lived upstairs LOL.

I think that amp weighed more than I did at the time, though eventually I went back to Utah's and gave the EV's to my bass player, who still has them in an old BF Bassman cab, that stays put in the studio.

Great speaker, and lightweight as an IR LOL!

Last edited:
I have a Pearce G1 amp with has an EV-12S speaker, which I used back in the 80's. It is a very versatile speaker, which has the rare quality of being able to work well for both clean and high-gain tones. If it has any fault, it is that it is quite heavy.

Yes, the original 200w versions sounded better than the 300w, at least for guitar.
The 200W sounded good, but the old AlNiCo magnet SRO sounded best to me. Had one for a while until the cone surround died. Back in the early '90s, it was hard to find a good reconer, or a good enough paying job to afford to get it reconed, for that matter....

That was the original stock speaker that cab was designed for? In past I have seen them loaded with a 90w Celestions and Altecs, but I was never sure exactly which speaker the 1x12 Thiele cabinet was designed for.

Yup. I had one in the late '80s. Got it to go under the 60W Mk IIC I had at the time. Heavy little cab, but sounded great. Zero flub in the lows no matter how hard you drove it with the 60W that Boogie put out....

The 200W sounded good, but the old AlNiCo magnet SRO sounded best to me. Had one for a while until the cone surround died. Back in the early '90s, it was hard to find a good reconer, or a good enough paying job to afford to get it reconed, for that matter....

Yup. I had one in the late '80s. Got it to go under the 60W Mk IIC I had at the time. Heavy little cab, but sounded great. Zero flub in the lows no matter how hard you drove it with the 60W that Boogie put out....
The SRO’s are my tech’s favorite speaker of all time for fidelity and volume. I’ve never had a chance to hear them…

Not to mansplain, but re: “Thiele” cabinets — let us be clear. It’s not a single cabinet design — it’s a cabinet design theory that uses raw speaker performance parameters as developed by two über-nerds named (you guessed it) Thiele and Small. Once the Thiele-Small parameters of a particular speaker (like an EVM-12L) were known — either by your own stringent testing or (more usually) as provided by the manufacturer — you could design a speaker cabinet and “tune” certain cab measurements (interior cubic volume, width/height/depth ratios, port type/dimensions/depth) to obtain a desired sound result (efficiency, frequency response/limits, mechanical transducer damping/limiting, etc) without going through the trial-and-error method. It was a Godsend for those who built their own speaker systems, especially the nascent touring industry.

FWIW: Electro-Voice was one of the first to publish full and accurate T/S parameters for their raw-frame components, which helped them gain brand acceptance in the beginnings of the Pro Audio biz. It also helped minimize the destruction of untold woofers.

My 12” SRO is mounted in a T/S cabinet I paid to have built with the correct specs to maximize both cone damping and LF response accuracy from 62Hz on up.

Not to mansplain, but re: “Thiele” cabinets — let us be clear. It’s not a single cabinet design — it’s a cabinet design theory that uses raw speaker performance parameters as developed by two über-nerds named (you guessed it) Thiele and Small. Once the Thiele-Small parameters of a particular speaker (like an EVM-12L) were known — either by your own stringent testing or (more usually) as provided by the manufacturer — you could design a speaker cabinet and “tune” certain cab measurements (interior cubic volume, width/height/depth ratios, port type/dimensions/depth) to obtain a desired sound result (efficiency, frequency response/limits, mechanical transducer damping/limiting, etc) without going through the trial-and-error method. It was a Godsend for those who built their own speaker systems, especially the nascent touring industry.

FWIW: Electro-Voice was one of the first to publish full and accurate T/S parameters for their raw-frame components, which helped them gain brand acceptance in the beginnings of the Pro Audio biz. It also helped minimize the destruction of untold woofers.

My 12” SRO is mounted in a T/S cabinet I paid to have built with the correct specs to maximize both cone damping and LF response accuracy from 62Hz on up.
Thanks for the explanation of the name being after the Thiele/Small parameters design principle. I had forgotten the origin of the cabinet name.

Interesting how EV was one of the first to publish their Thiele/Small specs and how that made it easier for people to build their own enclosures. Sound reinforcement was more art than science in those days. Now those proportions have been reversed.

@touch33, do you have a favorite 3rd party IR pack for SRO speakers?

Now that was wrong. I just hijacked a "Why not much love for the EVM12L?" thread to ask about SRO IR's.

I was so deeply imprinted with the early pulsonic-coned Celestions, that I never really grew out of it.
My only interest in clean speakers was to add definition to the old Celestions. Even when I couldn't afford the old Celestions.
So, in answer to the OP's question -- probably a lack of maturity, musical and otherwise, on my part

However, the 12L's would come up from time to time. Always well-spoken off by the ones who owned them.
And, I respected the people who liked them. So, I was always curious about what it was.

Even now, the only reason I have much personal sense of the 12L's is because of the FM3 and a thousand IR's.
And, for me the 12L's don't quite mesh with the old celestion/pulsonic sound -- not like the JBL E130's did.
And, the only reason I had the E130's is because, back in the day, I couldn't buy the Dual Showman head without buying the cab, too.

But, back to the 12L's.
I have come to like and enjoy the IR's that used the EV 12L's. But, as soon as I warmed up to the 12L's
I found out I liked the EV SRO's more. Another surprise, because it took me a while to warm up to Alnico speakers over the years, too.
I'm not proud of my slow to change ways.

Even though the 12L's really bring out the beautiful details in a good amp's sound.
I have always been biased toward -- not dirty speakers but -- reactive, expressive speakers.
Dirt was just something I put up with for the expressiveness of it all.

There may be something of a gulf between the two ways of thinking.
For all I know, whatever I find to be expressive in the SRO might be more about the imperfect cone material.

In many ways, harmony is a close failure to getting the imitation perfectly right.
There is a real beauty, even bravery, in the things that are perfect.
But, I have been more drawn to people and things that were flawed, imperfect and complex -- even tragic.
Not because of the ways in which they failed.
But, because of the way those failures made them more expressive.

I'm pretty sure he said in his interview on Joe Bonamassa's show that there were 900's. He mentioned how rare they were and he bought every one he could find.
I had a JCM800 2x12 combo, they were great, I’m pretty sure I saw NG playing them in videos. Always liked his tone, that’s why I noticed it was the same amp I had…

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom