Mouse Review

2Cents, like so many of us I use a mousse for a living too, and have used all kinds of them since their inception, right now I like the Logitech b100 mouse, its cheap, its highly accurate, light and really reduces my motion stress/carpel...

I also work at IT and have issues wiht normal sized mouse because I have big hands and my hand cramps when using it all day long.
So I have for work Logitech Performance MX where the battery pack is replaceable and can be charged internal.
I got another one at home because it works good for me.
I think the Performance MX is discontinued now and the successor is Logitech MX Master, but don't know if it's okay.

Last edited:
OOOOOOHHHHH BOY. I'm not so sure I wanna jump on this, but let's just say I've been collecting mice and keyboards for almost as long as I've been playing guitar. I have probably 50+ gaming mice in a box in my closet.

I am a physicist and do a lot of programming for self-build measuring instruments.

Used a lot of mice over the years. When they are new almost every mouse is fine, but some degrade very fast, some seem to last forever. I have the best experience with Logitech MX models (not cheap, but worth the money). Mostly because they work on critical surfaces (they call it Darkfield Technology) and don't wear as much. My most often used mouse is an MX model which is 15 years old and still works perfectly.
Yes, they are wireless, but they have rechargable and replaceable AA batteries and you can also attach an USB cable and charge the battery during use.

However, I don't have experience with their latest incarnation "MX Master" yet.

Edit: Oh, it seem that their latest MX models have built in batteries.

Last edited:
After doing some research I came upon the Asus ROG Gordius III. It's a gaming mouse but features high quality switches and a nice, ergonomic design.
Another cool feature of that mouse is that the right and left mouse buttons have hot-swappable switches.

I'm very particular about mice for programming uses. I seem to wear them out pretty fast. My prior favorite was the Microsoft Intellimouse Optical but sadly these are no longer made and the new version feels really cheap and there are lots of reports of the switches and wheel failing in short time.

My second favorite is the old Lenovo optical mouse. These are no longer made either.

I don't like wireless mice because of the landfill implications of disposable batteries.

So it seems that the only high quality mice nowadays are all focused on gaming. After doing some research I came upon the Asus ROG Gordius III. It's a gaming mouse but features high quality switches and a nice, ergonomic design.

After using it for some time I really like it. Very high quality feel, great tactile response. Slides effortlessly on my mouse pad and isn't too heavy nor too light.

Will have to see how it holds up but so far I give it five stars and the CC "Highly Recommended" award.
As a fellow programmer, I may have to check it out! Honestly though, I rely on keyboard shortcuts so much that I rarely touch my mouse. I wear out my keyboard about once a year, so I get the wear issues.

I also get better results with a game mouse, even though I do not use all these extra buttons and wheels: Logitech MX master 2s

I work in IT and I'm super particular about ergonimics and anything I directly interface with as well. Keyboards too. I bought a keyboard with cherry brown switches and o-rings around the inside of the key mounts to dampen the presses and it's been fantastic.

I hate the "gaming" aesthetic and lights on peripherals as well, but yeah the gaming stuff seems to be the best for ergonomics and quality.

My latest favorite mouse is the Logitech G502 Hero. It looks like the kind of mouse you'd see in a dumb hollywood movie that's used by a hoodie wearing hacker in a dark basement with techno blaring in the background but it's a great mouse.

jTLtFSG.png

$50. It's wired, so no batteries, no worries about charging, and it feels great to use. I forget about it in my hand almost instantly. All the buttons are positioned so you don't feel like you have to reach for them, including the 3 thumb buttons. The mouse wheel feels great and can be unlocked for free spinning scrolling to let you whiz around long documents, but doesn't feel weird when it's set back to standard scrolling mode.

It does have a few LEDs on it but the free included software lets you turn them all off. Also, it's also entirely too sensitive out of the box with its kajillion DPI laser, but you can turn that down to reasonable levels as well. And you can customize all the buttons to do anything you want including macros.

Great mouse, the best I've used and I've gone through a lot of them.
I've been using 502's for a few years now. My only complaint are the teflon pads are too thin and wear out.

You forgot to mention you can also tweak the feel by adjusting the weight of the mouse.

You forgot to mention you can also tweak the feel by adjusting the weight of the mouse.
I was going to ask about this. I've got a Razer Death Adder here but hate how light it is. I like weight in my mouse. I'll have to check this one out.

I've been using 502's for a few years now. My only complaint are the teflon pads are too thin and wear out.

Ah, right, I did forget that feature! I like light mice though, so I've never used any of the weights. I suppose that's why I forgot.

I also was using a particular Microsoft mouse for quite a while. Going as far as to buy another on ebay when they were no longer made. I finally broke down and just bought a Logitech M705. It's what it is. Not in love with it, but works well enough.

I tried a handful of the gaming mice in a store, but hated the ones they had. There are probably 500 of them on the market now though, so I'm sure there is one that would be great. It's just a matter of finding it.

I'm also hanging on to my precious wired mouse which is no longer made - don't know why - are we wired mouse users not human!, do our lives not matter!

For my personal/studio computer I have the Logitech MX that I am happy with. On my work computer I have started using a vertical (cheap wired) mouse and really like the ergonomics of the Vertical design especially for prolonged use.

I love Razer mice. I still have one that works from almost 20 years ago. Comfortable and they last. They are a bit on the pricy side though.

I retired my last Microsoft Intellimouse Optical last month. I got a Logitech ergonomic mouse. It works wired as well or wirelessly via Bluetooth and the Logitech multi-device receiver. @FractalAudio I'm with you on the batteries - this is rechargeable.

I couldn't tell you how many mice I've tried over the years and I've always ended up sticking with a Microsoft mouse of some kind until now. This Logitech mouse is the best mouse I've ever used. Your hand position on this mouse makes for a really natural transition between the mouse and keyboard. I'm pretty tough on mice and keyboard - this Logitech seems pretty well made - time will tell.

I also work in IT

Code:
Write-Host 'Hello World'

I originally used a Kensington Orbit Trackball Mouse with Scroll Ring K72337US but when I started a new job about 4 years ago they wouldn't allow you to bring in any of your own devices, so they gave me a Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball Mouse. I replaced all my Kensington Orbit Trackball's with the Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball Mouse and haven't had any finger/thumb, hand or wrist pain since. The main issue I have with the Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball Mouse is that the left mouse button goes bad in less than a year and the price of them keeps going up. The current one I'm using for work will probably break soon, so I'll have to try some of the other suggestions like the Logitech ERGO M575 Wireless Trackball Mouse or MX Ergo Wireless Trackball Mouse.

Back
Top Bottom