And you thought the Oscars were boring!!!

Makes me ponder what their home life is at Casa Smith. If he was that brazen in public
what is Will like in private?

I'd bet one of my nuts this was NOT an isolated incident and not out of character.
Place is probably so big they barely interact with each other. Lol

Yeah....we agree.

I think about basically everything at least in this post.

The really funny thing about biker bars....from a friend who used to bounce at them. He's watched fights happen that went on for a bit because his job was to stop things from getting out of hand, not to stop every "slap"...where every participant was armed...and no one went for a weapon. Because whatever words or actions started it, no one thought it was worth more than some punches.

It really is it's own culture. I don't want to be a part of it, but I find it fascinating.

Awards shows where the presenters are expected to act as comedians and roast the attendees...are also their own culture where none of the same things are acceptable.

In general, yeah....we treat celebrities with kid gloves. And, that's ridiculous. But, no, I don't think every cop in every situation would arrest any person for slapping somebody. Have a talk? Sure. Arrest them....that's where my initial "grow up" comment came from.

You (the general you) can say it's a slippery slope. You can take an absolute stance. But, the entire history of humanity is filled with examples of social violence that often serves a purpose. It's not always wrong, and it shouldn't always be illegal.

There's no way it was about that. I don't think we'll ever know all the details of what it was really about. But, I firmly believe that it wasn't just about the joke.

Maybe it was staged.
Maybe Smith finally snapped after years of stress from knowing he wasn't living as who he wanted to be.
Maybe she said something to prompt it.
Maybe Jada was lying about being okay with it in the media.
Maybe Will was lying about him being okay with his home life.

IDK.

But, there's no way it was just about the joke.
for the record... want to stop short of generalizing about all bikers - hope not to offend anyone. i went to sturgis a few times - they really run the gambit of dif types of ppul... but yeah, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't play the statistics in terms of what I'd expect from a bar if there were 30 bikes out front.

i appreciate your stance on write/wrong... I don't agree but i think it's a reasonable position. I just think it's either right or it's wrong. if it's wrong we try to discourage it. point well taken tho that it is not worth calling the cops.

lots of folks working the 'staged' angle but I just don't buy that. A) rock is not a good actor (exhibit A recent serial killer movie) and he was convincingly shocked and at a loss for words. B) You would have to know what a potential career bomb that would be for the fresh prince and as such -you would make it 'obviously' a joke. C ) jada is also not a great actor and I am absolutely convinced she was pissed.

afa 'about'... my take is: emotional instability due to clinging for dear life to a poisonous relationship and the stress that ensues. he knew he was gonna be in the dog house if the little puppet didn't dance the way the princess wanted him to dance. my twenty-x years of marital bliss has never been poisonous... but I'd be lying if I said I didn't know how to do that dance myself!

Dang! Rock might be looking to get slapped a few more times. This clip is from a story of his first comedy show in Boston since "the incident":

"Prices for his shows there — one at 7:30 p.m. and one at 10 p.m. on three consecutive nights — had skyrocketed to more than $1,000 apiece, after the Oscars incident."

Dang! Rock might be looking to get slapped a few more times. This clip is from a story of his first comedy show in Boston since "the incident":

"Prices for his shows there — one at 7:30 p.m. and one at 10 p.m. on three consecutive nights — had skyrocketed to more than $1,000 apiece, after the Oscars incident."

I am guessing he and his team are not seeing those prices----just the fortunate bastards who purchased tickets
for the show months ago. :)

afa 'about'... my take is: emotional instability due to clinging for dear life to a poisonous relationship and the stress that ensues.

Nailed it! Maybe a nasty prenup prevents him from parting.... or that "crazy little thing called love" .... or she has
told him what she would reveal if he did exit. Who knows?? I just know nothing about that "marriage" seems remotely
healthy.

"Hey, yeah, you can't just assault folks who say words you don't like at the show. You need to leave, now."

"Nuh-uh, I don't wanna."

"Oh. Well schucks. Okay then. Stick around, wink we just might have an award with your name on it wink."

Spineless maggots the lot of them.

'How was your weekend?' Chris joked at the beginning of his set, adding, 'I don’t have a bunch of s**t about what happened, so if you came to hear that, I have a whole show I wrote before this weekend. I’m still kind of processing what happened. So, at some point I’ll talk about that s**t. And it will be serious and funny.' He then said, 'I’m going to tell some jokes. It’s nice to just be out.'

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/chris-rock-responds-will-smith-oscars-slap-1235218763/

'How was your weekend?' Chris joked at the beginning of his set, adding, 'I don’t have a bunch of s**t about what happened, so if you came to hear that, I have a whole show I wrote before this weekend. I’m still kind of processing what happened. So, at some point I’ll talk about that s**t. And it will be serious and funny.' He then said, 'I’m going to tell some jokes. It’s nice to just be out.'

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/chris-rock-responds-will-smith-oscars-slap-1235218763/
I'm wondering if he just wants to get back to normal or wait a bit longer to see how he should respond publicly.

I could see it going either way.

I honestly don't think a lot of people care anymore. There are too many other forms of entertainment. People spend their time watching shitheads on YouTube. Even the last time I went to the movies in a theater, years ago, there were people in the audience watching stuff on their phones during the movie. I just think tastes have changed. People are happier binge watching a season of something on a streaming service than watching one movie.

I think back to the 80s, when there were some blockbuster movies that stayed in the theater for months. When is the last time that happened. Movies are in theaters for the blink of an eye now, because there is another crappy movie coming and the peak box office was a total of two weeks. They make so many movies now, but almost none of them have any lasting cultural significance. What movies made now do you think anyone will still be talking about 20 years from now. 50. Think to your own favorite movies. Any made this decade? Since 2000?

I think it's a chicken and egg thing, and I don't see anyone trying to make a quality movie when it'll be cast aside and released to streaming services two weeks after nobody shows up to watch it in a theater.
I started not caring much about any of the movies coming out of Hollywood quite a while ago. Documentaries and independent flicks are all I've seriously enjoyed in quite a long time. Even before the pandemic, I hadn't been going out as much and typical movie theaters play Hollywood movies. If you don't want to drink and over 40 it is easier to stay in overall. The last live music show that was arena type, or standing in a hall, was 2014. I want to sit in a theater, in a seat, standing for ovations, lol. As for the grammy antics, the super rich seem to have a different reality than regular working folks. As far as appropriate retaliation, I strive to do as I saw my grandfather do, and just ignore it, maybe laugh it off later. Even treating someone better than they deserve is the goal in any situation where it is in one's power to do so. Not trying to sound philosophical or whatever, but I remember more than few folks doing that for me in my life. Life's too short for unpleasantness, and has enough challenges without adding to the mix.

Back
Top Bottom