And you thought the Oscars were boring!!!

Yeah the joke was in really bad taste. He is lucky Will just slapped him. Make fun of my wife's medical condition on live television and it would be much worse.
1. For a little guy Rock took that slap like a man. Never flinched. And handled by taking high road afterward.
2. I’m not surprised smith challenged him physically, but surprised he did it on air. I likely would have waited and handled back stage 1:1.
3. I’m a little concerned that it happened b/c after all, Rock is a comedian. Can you imagine Don Rickles doing his act these days. He’d be dead - except Sinatra had his back. Also see Ricky Gervais on golden globes. He was brutal. It’s comedy. It’s a joke. Yes sometimes it hurts. That said, I don’t think the GI Jane joke was that funny.
4. Shannon Sharp says it much better than I ever could. I agree with his take:

Great discussion so far. Hopefully it stays that way.

Here's an excellent opinion piece that was in the Toronto Star today. One can agree or disagree with what he wrote, but the part that stood out the most to me, was this...

"And maybe a reminder that he has previously waxed virtuously about the importance of being a good role model. I wish he could’ve seen my daughters’ faces when we all started to slowly realize this was real. He would’ve been disgusted by himself."

https://www.thestar.com/entertainme...and-ended-up-bruising-his-own-reputation.html

And what about the resulting bankruptcy claim, losing your home, et al, when the guy fills a lawsuit against you ?

Assault charge would be the least of your problems….

But hey, your wife’s honor before anything right ?

For that matter, how can you be so sure your just going to disfigure the guy ? How do you know he won’t fall back, crack his head on the floor and bleed out ?

Then what, you got 5-10 years for manslaughter easy. How you going to provide for your family while locked up ?

Sounds as stupid as when someone shoots and kills another person because they cut them off on traffic etc, “oh well I didn’t mean to kill him your honor”…..

Throwing away your life because someone disrespected you, scuffed your sneakers, spilled your drink, et al is just beyond dumb, no ?

Wonder how many of those guys sit in their cell thinking “ totally worth it” ?
Friend from high school one punched a guy. It killed him when his head hit the pavement. My buddy eventually got out of prison.

You sure can try, but you never know who the other guy is what he has on him. I've been in a situation like you describe, and if you initiate the physical assault, not only are you liable, but any retaliation by the party you are attacking is 100% justified. There will always be someone better than you. And if you meet that person in this situation, you lose 100% of the time. And can get seriously injured. You assume you will come out on top, physically. Those tend to be the guys who lose. Quickly.

I hope you carry really good insurance. Knock someone's teeth out and puncture his lip like that...you better have the bucks to pay for the medical bills. Tens of thousands of dollars. You ready to lose your house over that if you don't?
Too many guys out there doing mma as a workout. Never know who you might bump into and regret it.

I can definitely see multiple sides of this one.

I come down mostly on "sticks and stones..." combined with a measure of "it was a slap; grow up."

Which actually seems to be what Chris Rock is doing. They reportedly made up at an after party, Chris Rock isn't pressing charges, and he turned it into another joke (combined with what could be considered an apology) in the moment both to deescalate the situation and save face....absolutely brilliant. He essentially won that fight.

Would I have done it? No.

I've walked away from a lot of potential fights. I've also been in a couple I couldn't avoid and lived with the consequences, though the worst consequence was in-school suspension for a couple days....I took a couple hits, realized no one was coming to my aid, won the fight, and then got in trouble for not taking the full beating. Now....the stakes are a lot higher, and you can read into that what you will. So, if anything, I'm even more likely to let almost anything go short of a real, physical threat to me or my family....essentially, if law/morality doesn't allow lethal force, I'm not fighting. Just in case.

I'd like to think that I would have just taken her and left and let someone else accept the award for me if it came up.

Completely realistically, I wouldn't have been there in the first place. But, I have no respect left for the Academy. That all disappeared when a rape victim accepted an award on behalf of her abuser.

1. For a little guy Rock took that slap like a man. Never flinched. And handled by taking high road afterward.
2. I’m not surprised smith challenged him physically, but surprised he did it on air. I likely would have waited and handled back stage 1:1.
3. I’m a little concerned that it happened b/c after all, Rock is a comedian. Can you imagine Don Rickles doing his act these days. He’d be dead - except Sinatra had his back. Also see Ricky Gervais on golden globes. He was brutal. It’s comedy. It’s a joke. Yes sometimes it hurts. That said, I don’t think the GI Jane joke was that funny.
4. Shannon Sharp says it much better than I ever could. I agree with his take:

Yup. Good breakdown. When you live in the world those people live in you SHOULD be able to take a humble roasting
once a damn year. C'mon!!

Hell, it used to be considered an honor to get roasted and called out. To not be the butt of a joke was to not be noticed
and not be worthy of attention.

Oh, and I bet Chris took his share of blows growing up. :) His "Everybody Hates Chris" sitcom is kind of all about that when
he was young.

Yup. Good breakdown. When you live in the world those people live in you SHOULD be able to take a humble roasting
once a damn year. C'mon!!

Hell, it used to be considered an honor to get roasted and called out. To not be the butt of a joke was to not be noticed
and not be worthy of attention.

Oh, and I bet Chris took his share of blows growing up. :) His "Everybody Hates Chris" sitcom is kind of all about that when
he was young.
Well, if Rock knew about her alopecia, then both not funny and a cheap shot. However, rhere is a decent chance Rock knew nothing of her alopecia. In that case it still wasn’t funny, and that be the end of it. The reason I don’t honk he knew about it is his body language never changed as smith approached him. Of course I don’t keep up with this stuff so maybe he has said something about it. I just think he thought it was a gi Jane joke.

Will Smith irritares me. Acts like he farts rainbows.
If you can't handle snide remarks, your testosterone level is probably too high.
Then again, I don't relate too much to people who use words like pride and honour.

Bit off topic, but some earlier posts reminded me a bit of a hilarious training video by bas rutten with the quote "he's been telling me about my wife" 😂
But the whole vid is unintentionally hillarious

You sure can try, but you never know who the other guy is what he has on him. I've been in a situation like you describe, and if you initiate the physical assault, not only are you liable, but any retaliation by the party you are attacking is 100% justified. There will always be someone better than you. And if you meet that person in this situation, you lose 100% of the time. And can get seriously injured. You assume you will come out on top, physically. Those tend to be the guys who lose. Quickly.

I hope you carry really good insurance. Knock someone's teeth out and puncture his lip like that...you better have the bucks to pay for the medical bills. Tens of thousands of dollars. You ready to lose your house over that if you don't?
Has nobody ever been in a bar fight? Lol
9 times out of 10 if a guy is fool enough to insult your wife hes fool enough to throw the first punch. Glad I love in a state with a stand your ground law and a castle doctrine.

Last edited:
Will Smith irritares me. Acts like he farts rainbows.
If you can't handle snide remarks, your testosterone level is probably too high.
Or too low.

FWIW, he's taken a lot of ribbing over the years, especially about his marriage. I wonder if this wasn't "just" the proverbial straw. That kind of emotional reactivity does not come out of nowhere from someone who's hormonally balanced, well adjusted, and in control. But, everyone has a breaking point, and the "last thing" doesn't always make sense. I kinda wonder which this was.

Maybe all you < oh gosh violence crybabies should do a deep dive on Chris Rocks racists, disgusting talk for the last 20 years. I would have shot him. Ok maybe in the knee, but seriously, NO FOUL on Wills part. Chris is a piece of garbage that blames everything except his ($$$$$) on anyone not black. I applaud will Smith!

Has nobody ever been in a bar fight? Lol
9 times out of 10 if a guy is fool enough to insult your wife hes fool enough to throw the first punch. Glad I love in a state with a stand your ground law and a castle doctrine.
Old saying I picked up from a special forces buddy of mine. Q: In that situation, when is “go time”? A: right now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom