Dr Bonkers' Guide to Using Fractal Axe-FX 3 for Bass

Im just an at home player so its an untreated room with some A7Xs

Dingwall NG3 pickups are pretty hot.
Does the Dingwall have any sort of bass boost engaged?

That much roll off seems highly unusual to need with those IR files.

Does anyone basically go direct? I was experimenting with different amps and ended up with a direct tone into a cab block and using the pre on the block. It sounds punchy and bright at home. I have to hear how it sounds at church. I have to get over my paradigm that since I have 256 amps I have to use 256 amps.

Does anyone basically go direct? I was experimenting with different amps and ended up with a direct tone into a cab block and using the pre on the block. It sounds punchy and bright at home. I have to hear how it sounds at church. I have to get over my paradigm that since I have 256 amps I have to use 256 amps.
There are lots of ways to get good bass tones. The one you mentioned sounds like what I posted very early in this thread:

Another way: use the "flat" IR in conjunction with the Preamp page in the Cab block.

Hope you don't mind me adding a tip? I'm not a bassist but I play one on TV ;)

I did actually help my bassist / stickist (is that a thing?) dial in some great tones on his Axe Fx III.

thanks for this very helpful thread and spreadsheet. I’m wondering if there is a similar resource for the drive block. I realize it’s possible to just blend sounds, but my favourite bass distortions — Xotic BB bass and Idiotbox Blower Box — do not have a “blend.” Could I achieve similar results with the EQs in the pedal blocks? Are the EQs pre or post?

thanks for this very helpful thread and spreadsheet. I’m wondering if there is a similar resource for the drive block. I realize it’s possible to just blend sounds, but my favourite bass distortions — Xotic BB bass and Idiotbox Blower Box — do not have a “blend.” Could I achieve similar results with the EQs in the pedal blocks? Are the EQs pre or post?
That's not really my bag of tricks.

Personally I've always preferred a miked cab mixed with direct versus drive block direct with eq.

I would suggest you read the Fractal Audio Blocks Guide which provides details on each block and their controls.

The EQ in the Drive can be pre or post...

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/fas-guides/Fractal-Audio-Blocks-Guide.pdf

That's not really my bag of tricks.

Personally I've always preferred a miked cab mixed with direct versus drive block direct with eq.
Have you experienced any comb filtering/phase issues when combining a direct signal with a cab/ir? On other modelers, I've had issues getting them to line up, and have used a sub 1ms delay to help line up the two signals (usually around 0.18ms or so). I'm not an axefx user yet... but I'm incredibly tempted.

Have you experienced any comb filtering/phase issues when combining a direct signal with a cab/ir? On other modelers, I've had issues getting them to line up, and have used a sub 1ms delay to help line up the two signals (usually around 0.18ms or so). I'm not an axefx user yet... but I'm incredibly tempted.
No issues, but it also depends on what your signal chain consist of. If you insert delay or reverb on one chain, but not on the other(s), then you may need to use a delay on the other path to correct.

Back
Top Bottom