Devin Townsend going over his main preset/GP-100 sound

That tone match IR - “The Sound” as it’s called, and as his GP patch was called. Interesting he mentioned it was made using a “preamp into an amp” if I recall correctly.

@Admin M@ any insight into that process (why not just tone match the GP, for example) would be a fun read.

And of course if you could get that IR released into the wild we’d be forever grateful!

Check out the toontrack mix a song in a few hours he did. Must watch....its pretty depressing actually just to see how efficient he is :tired:

Just goes to show all the gear he has used over the years he still sounds like Devin.
I have seen it. It's a great watch and insight into how he is able to be that efficient, especially through Protools which kept crashing.
And indeed! I think that he has had a vision of his tone from very early on, and everything since then is about refining that.

He mentioned on a stream with Garth last year that they were open to sharing it. Maybe he'll let Matt share it with us.

hey man - haven’t you done a few Devin patches ? I’m fairly sure I use one for one of our songs that you posted and it’s stellar..

hey man - haven’t you done a few Devin patches ? I’m fairly sure I use one for one of our songs that you posted and it’s stellar..
I posted a few a while back that I thought were ok. Some were better than others haha. Glad you're getting use out of it :)

I stopped posting them out of courtesy when he shared with me some tips on his GP sound. But since he's openly shared those on Twitch since then I suppose I could post my updated version of it. It does use 3rd party YA IRs from the Blackjack pack tho to try and get closer to what hes using. (Yes, I am deep down the rabbit hole).

Let me see if I can cook up something with a factory IR. I know he used the Cali cab in the Artist Preset, but it's pretty boomy.

I posted a few a while back that I thought were ok. Some were better than others haha. Glad you're getting use out of it :)

I stopped posting them out of courtesy when he shared with me some tips on his GP sound. But since he's openly shared those on Twitch since then I suppose I could post my updated version of it. It does use 3rd party YA IRs from the Blackjack pack tho to try and get closer to what hes using. (Yes, I am deep down the rabbit hole).

Let me see if I can cook up something with a factory IR. I know he used the Cali cab in the Artist Preset, but it's pretty boomy.
I remember I tweaked one of yours (I’ll check later for details) with different IR’s and it’s great !

I remember I tweaked one of yours (I’ll check later for details) with different IR’s and it’s great !
Nice! Let me know what you switched them to.

Here's my current "Devin" preset. It's made up of stuff from his Artist Preset and what he's shared on Twitch. Has my Roland GP-100 tone match in the IR Player. I think the GP sound is much closer than my previous uploads. I am not 100% happy with the dry sound but it's a moving target really.

This one was done on FW19.

@Admin M@ If you got any tips on this that you're free to share please do so. Thanks!

Attachments

• DEVIN TOWNSEND TWITCH TIPS.fasBundle
    21.8 KB · Views: 48

Did he ever reveal his full GP settings? Wish he would sell the patch(es) :)

348601DA-9FE3-4448-B55E-093310FFB5EB.jpeg
E9790B7D-5C94-4032-BBDE-E6BE48087A09.jpeg
Looks like he uses a Marshall 4x12 with 25W Greenbacks with a 57/421 mix. I know York has a killer pack for a similar cab. I’d start there for the crunch tone.

I was talking about the actual Roland patch
Not publicly to my knowledge. There's a guy on IG who managed to get them through the Creative Academy thing some years ago. He's posted demos of it but wont share so 🤷‍♂️

Devin's been asked about Roland specific settings quite a few times during his twitch streams. He always says he doesn't remember them. Make of that what you will lol.

I have 2 Roland GP-100’s. It was my gig rig for about ten years. I thought it was pretty decent at the time and I made it work for my needs in various bands.
Since FAS, and having the 3 generations of the rack units... I haven’t turned it on and used it since. Looking to sell one of them.. maybe both.

Just a note that his GP-100 "stuff" is already in the "Epic" scene of the "Hevy Dev" factory preset that Devin provided for the Axe-Fx III, FM9 and FM3, and based precisely on what he uses in his own rig. The first "Garth Pack" session resulted in one fantastic IR, which I will see about sharing.

@Morphine is of course correct that artists who are short of touring revenue during these hard years must seek monetary benefit in the form of partnership with software companies. We've seen that many times, even before the pandemic.
Hey, @Admin M@ - just wanted to check in on the potential IR sharing, here! Would be awesome to hear that one - thanks!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom