Travel speaker for FM3?

A bluetooth stereo transmitter with a 1/4" male stereo in and a 1/4" to 1/8" stereo adapter to fit into your headphone jack. Then the best ear buds you're willing to pay for. That's the smallest and cheapest. You could put that rig in your pocket. lol Or has someone else mentioned this?
Bluetooth headphones add unacceptable latency...

A bluetooth stereo transmitter with a 1/4" male stereo in and a 1/4" to 1/8" stereo adapter to fit into your headphone jack. Then the best ear buds you're willing to pay for. That's the smallest and cheapest. You could put that rig in your pocket. lol Or has someone else mentioned this?
Nope. Bluetooth has too much latency for that to work.

I have been looking at the Roland mobile cube and the Blackstar Fly 3, both of which can be battery powered, stereo, and have aux-in to bypass guitar amp modeling.
I have the Fly 3 and it is super convenient for travel. Though sound is colored and I wouldn't use it for monitoring during recording.

Crap. Beat me to it. Stop that.
"small" and "sound quality is important to me" don't go together. Hence the tongue in cheek comment. What he's also saying, in my opinion, is: "cheap." Those 3 things really don't go together. But you can always try one of these: lol

I usually have some good Shure ear-phones that I can plug into my FM3.

I also have one of the Bose SoundLink Mini II that I've considered if I want to skip using the ear-phones. It's not perfect, but it's got the jack so the FM3 could be plugged into it. It's probably not the most accurate sounding thing but it's got some thump and nice mids and highs, plus it works well with Bluetooth when sitting on a porch listening to music and sipping something "libateous".

Last edited:
I use a set of Shure SE215 IEM headphones in the headphone jack with a 1/4" Stereo adapter... they're not Genelecs, but they work great for traveling...

I tried the JBL Flip 3 thing this morning. 1/4” to 1/8” into the aux port. It was very quiet with significant latency.

I picked up a Roland BTM-1 from Amazon recently and it's proven to be pretty cool. It's more than loud enough for its purpose and It's the only little portable speaker I found that had a BT connection and stereo analog input that could be run at the same time.

I've not dabbled in the guitar amp features of this unit but it works great with my AX-8 and my iPhone .:)

Attachments

• btm_01.jpg
    btm_01.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 27
  • btm_02.jpg
    btm_02.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 27
  • btm_03.jpg
    btm_03.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 27
FWIW I just grabbed a set of the IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitors and they sound seriously good for their size. Punch way above their weight...

I use a Vava Voom VA-SK002 Bluetooth speaker, but with a 2xXLR to 1/8" stereo adapter cable. Sounds great. They no longer make the speaker, but it was my selection after much research. The speaker is superb, fits in my inside coat pocket, and can even keep up with a conservative drummer. Great for listening to music, too, out on the boat or away from more substantial hardware. Also works as a power tank to charge phone. When choosing, I focused on the weight to volume ratio. Speakers need WEIGHT.

The bad thing about it is once the charge gets down to one dot of three, it makes a warning sound every few minutes. Sounds like a French police car. Contaminating the last third or so of battery life with such an abomination is one of the worst design errors ever I've known. It's not like it's a heart/lung machine; no need for all the drama. Too bad Fractal didn't design and build the bloody thing.

A slightly smaller JBL cylindrical piece, Flip something or other, is my backup. It's cool, but the VAVA beats it. So nice to be able to have gear at a remote fishing cabin without having to haul a bunch of bulky stuff.

Hey @yek , did you ever find something you liked? I'm headed to Paris for a few weeks next month and I'm looking for a desktop speaker I can fit in my suitcase along with my FM3 that will sound good for practicing and Zoom lessons.

Yup, JBL Flip Essential. Bought it because it has an AUX input port and is affordable, not for its sound.

Back
Top Bottom