Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 19.02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty impressive 19.02 is. Only had one preset get hosed by the update, pulled it off of the 19.01 B3 backup and and away we go. Minor amp adjustments due to Transformer Match control. Other than that haven't had to touch much of anything else. Yet to explore new features but will in the coming days ahead. Thank you Cliff and team!

You do realize that FAS modelers have even less 'latency' than their real world analog counterparts right?

Yes, analog components do also collectively introduce latency
I don’t feel latency while playing with the axe only . I was talking “in general”. When I plugged it in the soundcard or whatever there is a very very small delay . But I never complained about the “internal latency”. Don’t feel it .

As I do not have any gigs and new to axe fx 3 (turbo) since januari 2022 I follow all iterations of Firmwares I always always start from scratch.

Lately after checking some IR's for marshalls this FIRMWARE is such that I really everything on the authentic tab.
No indepth tweaking anymore. And it feels and sound amazing!!

You do realize that FAS modelers have even less 'latency' than their real world analog counterparts right?

Yes, analog components do also collectively introduce latency
Do you have any figures for latency induced by analog components in a “typical” guitar amp? Or are you factoring the speed of sound and standing x feet away from a source into your comparison?

Legitimately curious. This is the first assertion I’ve seen that a modeler is “faster” than an all analog amp.

Factory preset number 16 (Euro) sounds very sharp with the new firmware and no longer harmonious. What do you all mean?

Factory preset number 16 (Euro) sounds very sharp with the new firmware and no longer harmonious. What do you all mean?
I think enough firmware updates have passed that it’s “normal” for the Factory presets to need updating and for some to not sound great.

What happens if you build your own “Euro” preset with the same settings and IRs?

So the Drive Block adds to the latency (Based on Cliffs earlier comment in this thread).
it seems like we are better off setting up patches without drive blocks and just using the boost type in the amp block (if you are latency sensitive)

I start feeling (but still not hearing it) around 12ms

A completely unscientific, but practical, latency test I once performed consisted of a 25' guitar cord and a 4x12 in a large, open studio.

I'd stand a couple of feet facing the front of the 4x12, play, and walk backwards until I could feel the latency starting to throw me off.

I found that starting around 14 feet is where I'd start to notice a 'disconnect' which is ~12mS.

It was also interesting to note how much a 4x12 'throws' it sound via the same experiment; you start to walk back and at about 7'+ you can really hear the cab open up...any closer then that and the sound was noticeably less 'weighty' and toppy. Gotta get away from the cab to hear those long wavelengths I guess. Similarly, I did the same thing with an Ampeg SVT/8x10 cab; moving closer/away from the cab was very revealing of how huge the perceived changes in sound/tone were in a fairly small overall physical range.

A completely unscientific, but practical, latency test I once performed consisted of a 25' guitar cord and a 4x12 in a large, open studio.

I'd stand a couple of feet facing the front of the 4x12, play, and walk backwards until I could feel the latency starting to throw me off.

I found that starting around 14 feet is where I'd start to notice a 'disconnect' which is ~12mS.

It was also interesting to note how much a 4x12 'throws' it sound via the same experiment; you start to walk back and at about 7'+ you can really hear the cab open up...any closer then that and the sound was noticeably less 'weighty' and toppy. Gotta get away from the cab to hear those long wavelengths I guess. Similarly, I did the same thing with an Ampeg SVT/8x10 cab; moving closer/away from the cab was very revealing of how huge the perceived changes in sound/tone were in a fairly small overall physical range.
🤣🤣Reminds me of an experience I had in my early days.....(pre wireless). I made a 50' guitar cord so I could zoom out into the crowd. We were playing highway star and when I got out there, I was really hearing things after the fact....talk beyond latency and into the delay realm😂😂😂. Needless to say, I went scurrying back to the stage. Lesson learned.

🤣🤣Reminds me of an experience I had in my early days.....(pre wireless). I made a 50' guitar cord so I could zoom out into the crowd. We were playing highway star and when I got out there, I was really hearing things after the fact....talk beyond latency and into the delay realm😂😂😂. Needless to say, I went scurrying back to the stage. Lesson learned.
imagine an orchestra spread across 50+ft.! Dunno but I guess the conductor's gestures which arrive to the musician at the speed of light helps with otherwise maybe getting thrown off by the sonic latency of other instruments getting heard x ms later.

Or huge venue PAs where ancillary speakers in the audience must be delayed to match the main PA speakers depending on the distance between them.

Interesting stuff.

Small request: Can we get Maxoff 808 drive added to the amp block?

Also +1 for renaming the new oversampling option to Best Quality, Highest Quality, Higher Accuracy or something less ambiguous.

19.02 sounded and felt glorious this morning. Played 2 services with it and loved the new FC changes (inverted mini display, show current name, smart bypass, etc). Was a real treat to navigate my swiss army knife layouts that are all even more usable, and the ear candy. What a treat. TY FAS.

imagine an orchestra spread across 50+ft.! Dunno but I guess the conductor's gestures which arrive to the musician at the speed of light helps with otherwise maybe getting thrown off by the sonic latency of other instruments getting heard x ms later.

Or huge venue PAs where ancillary speakers in the audience must be delayed to match the main PA speakers depending on the distance between them.

Interesting stuff.
That's the one of the reasons an orchestra has a conductor; to "kill" the latency between musicians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom