Guitar Goals for the Year 2022

Megadebt

Experienced
The goals for this year are to get all of my guitars that have been in storage up and running in playing condition. Also, work on some song projects.

The guitars to be fixed are:

Jackson Pro Series King V
Jackson PC-1
Jackson USA King V

A couple songs to work on this year are as follows (this includes starting on the recordings for these songs – work on finding good tones that fit the songs):

Dio - Don't Talk To Strangers
Judas Priest - Beyond The Realms Of Death

I have good backing tracks for them.

Last edited:
At the start of the pandemic lockdown in 2020 I finally started to learn, after wanting to for decades, The Scorpions "Sails Of Charon". I've picked up the intro lead, note and phrasing wise, but, after two years of messing with it on and off, I still cannot do some of it at tempo. There are a couple of phrases/parts where he does descending and ascending riffs that have a lot of string skipping which cause my fingers to fumble; am having a hard time getting on top of them.

So, I'm going to try and do the intro several times everyday, or at least every other day....it's starting to bug me now heh.

At the start of the pandemic lockdown in 2020 I finally started to learn, after wanting to for decades, The Scorpions "Sails Of Charon". I've picked up the intro lead, note and phrasing wise, but, after two years of messing with it on and off, I still cannot do some of it at tempo. There are a couple of phrases/parts where he does descending and ascending riffs that have a lot of string skipping which cause my fingers to fumble; am having a hard time getting on top of them.

So, I'm going to try and do the intro several times everyday, or at least every other day....it's starting to bug me now heh.
I'm sure you've seen this already, but just in case.... the man himself explaining his picking pattern:

(Still way beyond my technique.)

My goals are to improve my ear and to improvise more freely.

I'm sure you've seen this already, but just in case.... the man himself explaining his picking pattern:

(Still way beyond my technique.)

My goals are to improve my ear and to improvise more freely.

Thanks Renderman...yes I've seen that video and it was indeed the inspiration to finally get around to learning it. His explanation of the picking patterns (all triplets and accenting like a "clock pendulum" as he puts it) was immensely instructive and saved me a huge head-cramp if I tried to figure out the patterns myself. I'd likely not have 'discovered' the triplet patterns on my own.

He has slightly modified the solo in the video vs how he actually plays it on the record, but the changes are minor and in only a couple of parts.
Now, I just have to try and get it up to tempo....he makes it look so easy heh.

Thanks again for taking the time to post that vid.

Some Goals working toward this year:
1. Need to fix my 12-string
2. Get better at economy picking (watching Rick Graham mainly)
3. Hybrid picking

Probably have as much luck as a mis-identified fart but heck...gonna give it hell.

Some of mine:

Focus more on rhythm playing and learn more songs, rather than just jamming along a glass of wine like, everyday.

Find some pickups for my Charvel 750 XL that actually work.

Not to buy guitars by impulse, just when really need them :p

Fix my posture playing, not hunching so much. I am getting old.

Busy year for work lined up but complete the work/woodshop that I started 5 years ago. Then, build some guitars!!! Several experimental and useful things to try that's been in my head for years are not being done by other luthiers.

Going to attempt to slow down the tempo when learning new music instead of rushing to the finish line all the time 🥴

I need to unlearn years of bad practicing and bad habits.. Mostly though I'd like to be able to focus on one song, style, technique, theory approach instead of every time I pick up the guitar a smart tv or computer is nearby and I go down the rabbit hole of youtube algorithm suggested videos never really absorbing anything useful and just learning flashy licks I'll forget 2 days later.. I've approached guitar the wrong way over the years just wanting the tasty licks I've heard here and there.. That instant gratification.. You know like if you're at a guitar store (what's one of those??!) and you hear some random person pull off a sweet, tasty lick or chord phrase passage.. I've just wanted to be that guy who can draw instant attention and have everyone think "fuck man, that guy is good.. I need to go home and practice.." BUT, in the long run that approach has been awful.. JUST AWFUL I said! :)

I'm working on getting a good few tones set up in my Fractal, purely for my own enjoyment.
I'm tempted at the moment to wipe clean all of the patch presets in my AX8 (backed up of course), and starting from scratch. Again. LOL
I'd say that I'm spoilt for choice with the massive selection of options available, but all I need is probably half a dozen patches that fit the bill.

And then just play guitar as much as I can!

Finally learn proper music theory and make it a natural part of my playing and songwriting.

I’ve been putting this off for 15 years or so. The older I get, the more value I see in it and the more I realise how much I’ve been missing out on.

To stop myself from buying any more damn guitars! I have 20 and there's an AXE FX IV somewhere in the future I need to save up for.
It's my big 4-0 this year and despite my wife insisting, I bought so much stuff during lockdown (+house last year), I decided I'm not buying any new guitars this year.

I'm gonna focus entirely on tunes. Need to finish learning Fuzz Universe and Argument About Pie (both by Paul Gilbert). I also want to learn more Jazz standards. I've gotten really comfy playing and improvising over Autumn Leaves and Fly Me to the Moon, but those are the only 2 I know.

Also, I don't post enough on these forums. I want to start contributing more.

Back
Top Bottom