FM3 Firmware Version 5.01

Status
Not open for further replies.

rglr

Fractal Audio Systems
Last edited:
Thank you, just loaded 5.0 but noticed some lower volume on some of my presets. I will fire this up later!

The distortion/ swooshing noise in the power amp modeling is still the same here. FYI
Have you established whether this is RFI/EMI related by moving your guitar to different positions and areas and listening if the noise changes? Is the noise audible when playing?

Hi,
5.01 load went well. Will Axe Edit get the auto update notification ? Oh...okay, 0505 is current , thanks.

I can't replicate this. Please provide a recording and your preset.
I’ll be able to post this tomorrow. It’s very obvious here with a palm muted low E on electric bass. A sine wave test oscillator should do it too. It’s only the amp block, and goes away when I disable the P.A. modeling.

Nice! I actually discovered 10 minutes ago that the my Herbie presets had a lower output.

Possible bug with the "Preset Leveling"-Dialog in FM3 Edit:
If I'll add a compressor block (In - Comp - Out is enough), the update rate of the displayed output is way lower than the update rate without the compressor block. This is independent from other DSP load - every preset without a compressor block has a higher refresh rate, actually. I assume this is a problem in the unit, and not in FM3 Edit.

I’ll be able to post this tomorrow. It’s very obvious here with a palm muted low E on electric bass. A sine wave test oscillator should do it too. It’s only the amp block, and goes away when I disable the P.A. modeling.
What I was getting at, could it be that the gate setting is acting different now and it’s something that was always there and it was just gated before? What type of pickups do have in your bass? Single coil, humbucking?

When I’m using one of my single coil guitars I have to sometimes move to a different position to minimize interference especially when sitting in front of a computer and monitor and the FM3 and all the electronic gizmos I have.

The distortion/ swooshing noise in the power amp modeling is still the same here. FYI
@FractalAudio, I have noticed that when I push the power amp to the edge of stability and oscillation (with extreme parameter tweaks) that it now reacts with a distortion swooshing sound. Before, I would be treated to squeals. And, the boundaries that define stable and unstable seemed to have morphed a little. In my case, it is no big deal. I just move my settings back to something more reasonable. And, restart the FM3. I can't say that @GK Breivik's situation is the same. But, I hope that is helpful.

I typically run the Variac at 130-150%, the power tube Grid Bias up to 1.0, the Xformer Drive down to .04-0, Supply Sag at 1.0-0, PI Bias Excursion down to 1-0%.

But, the parameters that usually cause problems are: Xformer Matching, Speaker Impedance, Negative Feedback, Screen Frequency, Screen Q, and Supply Sag. There may be others, like B+ Recovery Time. But the former are the ones I have run into most often.

Now!!! This upgrade is so amazing!!! I am able to use Ultra-high quality reverbs now - along with a High-Quality Tube/tape/xfrmr preamp - and two Ultra-res IR’s — and a few other blocks. This makes all the difference for me

What I was getting at, could it be that the gate setting is acting different now and it’s something that was always there and it was just gated before? What type of pickups do have in your bass? Single coil, humbucking?

When I’m using one of my single coil guitars I have to sometimes move to a different position to minimize interference especially when sitting in front of a computer and monitor and the FM3 and all the electronic gizmos I have.
It’s not a gate thing, and not an EMI thing either, I’m afraid.

Oh, and I’m using one of the bass cab impedance curves for all my presets. Off the top of my head it’s the Ampeg Portaflex one. I think I’m using the 4x10 curve on the SVt though. Same story. Dunno if this matters at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom