Lowell George compressor tips please

Smellytele

Inspired
Been a Little Feat fan for a long while, but never explored trying to do the Lowell George dual compressor thing. I do play a ton of slide, but I've never gotten along with compressors. Well, actually, I do have a Keeley comp+ and I do like that one, but it's not been on any of my boards in a long time and I was using it mostly as a boost. Anyone have any tips or comp settings for me to try to get me in the ballpark of LG? It'd be fun to goof around with. Thanks!

He used a Dumble with two dynacomps in series. Not sure of the settings or which exact dumble, but id assume they both only compress a little bit each. There are some good threads on Google if you search Lowell George compression settings

He used a Dumble with two dynacomps in series. Not sure of the settings or which exact dumble, but id assume they both only compress a little bit each. There are some good threads on Google if you search Lowell George compression settings
The reason for 2 is to get a lot of compression... So I suspect each is probably not doing "a little bit".

@austinbuddy has commented before. Perhaps he'll share some info?

The reason for 2 is to get a lot of compression... So I suspect each is probably not doing "a little bit".

@austinbuddy has commented before. Perhaps he'll share some info?

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/lowell-george-little-feat-patch-for-slide-compression.27985/

What I mean is that putting two compressors on it and cranking the compression on both probably won't achieve the desired results, hence the reason LG used two with different compression settings.

Here is an Austin buddy thread about this tone. I've read he used one compressor with lower compression with the other doing the opposite.

Consider me "compressor ignorant" because, well, I am. I actually did do some searching before I made my post, but haven't found much beyond "this is what he used in the studio and this is what he used live." And also that a whole lot of people have bought an Origin Effects compressor to nail the sound. I just wanna get close and get a nice clean tone. I'm definitely more in the "Allman" camp when it comes to slide, and generally I'm getting that compression from driving an amp and also some good old fashioned "crank it up." Take away my natural compression and volume and suddenly playing slide is a lot more work. It'd be cool to have some of that compressor into clean amp thing.

I've got a pre-superbowl gig in a few hours, so I won't have time to goof around with my FM3 today, I'll see what I can come up with tomorrow. Thanks for any and all tips!

I have been a big fan of LG even before Little Feat , when he and Bassist Roy Estrada left the Mothers when Zappa unceremoniously broke up the “original “ lineup…..when he was the sole guitarist of Feat his tone was unprecedentedly awesome …saw them in my top three triple bills of all time…with Taj Mahal and Weather Report….(‘74, Cobo Hall Detroit)

Loved Lowell and Feat ever since I was exposed to them a long time ago.
In the mists of time I liked to think I got close with a Yamaha Rex50. It had a patch called "DX + Comp" I maxed the sustain and release on the ADSR of the compressor part and kept it clean.

About five years or thereabouts, I'd found out what LG was using and was sniffing around, and ran into the ad for the original big box Origin "Slide Rig" with two channels, and couldn't believe what I was hearing !
I've had one ever since. Along with the older, but smaller "Slide Rig" three control pedal as a spare.

Now I have my FM3 I'd like to work out something as good, but until then I'll use the "Rig" as a front end

Loved Lowell and Feat ever since I was exposed to them a long time ago.
In the mists of time I liked to think I got close with a Yamaha Rex50. It had a patch called "DX + Comp" I maxed the sustain and release on the ADSR of the compressor part and kept it clean.

About five years or thereabouts, I'd found out what LG was using and was sniffing around, and ran into the ad for the original big box Origin "Slide Rig" with two channels, and couldn't believe what I was hearing !
I've had one ever since. Along with the older, but smaller "Slide Rig" three control pedal as a spare.

Now I have my FM3 I'd like to work out something as good, but until then I'll use the "Rig" as a front end
There is ONE Slide rig left in Origin Store online right now….but not for me, I got more compression than I know what to do with….

Back
Top Bottom