Heavy cleans

Mooncaster

Hey everyone. So I've made my general go to patch for my cover gigs using a marshall. The one thing I'm struggling is making a really "heavy" clean sounds. A clean tone with a lot of weight behind it. Most of the time the fundamental tone is ok but can't get the vibe of a high Watt amp turned up where you almost wince everytime the initial not is hit. Mine sounds quiet even with dB matched between patches. So I can attach my patch but i would also like some input for getting those heavy cleans..

Thanks

P.s-rate my patch

Attachments

• Dang Youre Good!!.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Use Compression. Clean tones are much more dynamic, so matching the attack level will often leave them sounding wimpy during the decay unless there is sufficient compression to bring it up compared to dirty tones. Compression on clean tones levels the playing field a lot in terms of dynamics between clean and dirty tones.

Volume. What you are experiencing is Fletcher-Munson. If you add EQ as recommended above it will sound better at low volumes but as soon as you turn the volume up it will become boomy.

All my experience with my preset at gig volume. They just sounded quieter and weaker even though they were the same dB on the preset leveler tool. I was also looking for advice because I was looking for stiffer, bouncier cleans. But I really appreciate all the info about FM. It really helped me when I first started making my patches that working in a live environment.

I know what you mean, I like thick ‘jazzy’ cleans. I use a compressor into a fender like a bandmaster, with the gain up - edge of edge of breakup.

Another thing to keep in mind is dirty tones often have a lot more going on in terms of harmonic content. Even if they are the same level on the meter, the dirty sound is harmonically more stimulating.

It's sort of like trying to compare a color version and a black and white version of the same photograph side by side. They can be balanced to have the same relative brightness, but the color one is still going to be more visually stimulating because there's more information to take in and process.

Hey everyone. So I've made my general go to patch for my cover gigs using a marshall. The one thing I'm struggling is making a really "heavy" clean sounds. A clean tone with a lot of weight behind it. Most of the time the fundamental tone is ok but can't get the vibe of a high Watt amp turned up where you almost wince everytime the initial not is hit. Mine sounds quiet even with dB matched between patches. So I can attach my patch but i would also like some input for getting those heavy cleans..

Thanks

P.s-rate my patch

how does 20dB of 40Hz on the input do for you, just added a PEQ

Attachments

• dang yooz iz good!!.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 12
+1 for using compression. Play around with a compressor before or after the amp, as well as the amp block's output compression (if you haven't, check out the gain enhancer type!). Cabinet selection also helps; I usually use different cabs (or at least different mic/speaker combinations) for my clean and dirty tones.

Any starting points for compressor types and settings before clean amps?

I usually use a little breakup even in the clean parts. But I’d love som tips for more squeaky cleans

Back
Top Bottom