They All Sound the Same Part Deux

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/5150-iii-50w-vs-kemper-vs-fm3.163684/#post-1962333

Besides me using a Captor here you said that the Pots, etc. would cause a variance, and I believe you, I’ve seen the differences in Pots pulled from the same bin. I’m not trying to be a jerk, I just always hear the same old “All amps are different.” statement being referenced when these types of comparisons are done.

Profiles still seem to sound more like the amp Profiled than any model in any modeler I’ve ever used (Helix, AX8, FM3, AXE III) when all the controls are set equal.
If one of the modelers Cliff used was a Kemper, then differences in component tolerances would be irrelevant with regard to that unit. And if the amp was "captured" using the QC, the same would apply to that unit.

Last edited:
I'm terrible at these things but whichever is which, #1 is glorious, #2 is very nice, and the others are too different for me to fairly assess.

only 3 and 4 clean up. I believe 3 is the Axe Fx and 4 is the amp. this is super useful and how I like to play much of the time. although, with a lower gain amp.

Last edited:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/5150-iii-50w-vs-kemper-vs-fm3.163684/#post-1962333

Besides me using a Captor here you said that the Pots, etc. would cause a variance, and I believe you, I’ve seen the differences in Pots pulled from the same bin. I’m not trying to be a jerk, I just always hear the same old “All amps are different.” statement being referenced when these types of comparisons are done.

Profiles still seem to sound more like the amp Profiled than any model in any modeler I’ve ever used (Helix, AX8, FM3, AXE III) when all the controls are set equal.

So, do you capture a separate profile with your guitar volume set differently for every authentic sounding position? I don't have a kemper but I've read many opinions that disagree with your statement.

With my guitar and these settings, it sounds closest to #2. Although just a notch more on the volume knob puts me in #1 territory. #5 has a weird fizz to it. #3 and #4 what the hell?

1- Amp;

2- Fractal;

3- Very, very bad...

4- Very bad...

5- Not bad! But less defined than 1 and 2.

----
EDIT: I forget to consider the most important: guitar volume is rolled back about halfway. So my above assumptions are worthless...

In fact what i considered bad, could be even the right ones...

Last edited:
1. Good definition, good presence, bright, good gain. Would guess this is the FAS
2. Again a close 2nd. Slightly more lower/mids (heard addt'l lower end compared to #1). Very similar to #1. Sounds like fat switch engaged.
3. Slightly cleaner tone with less presence/gain. Would guess that with guitar volume rolled halfway, this or #4 might be the amp.
4. Very similar behavior compared to #3. Cleaner tone w/ less presence/gain. Not east to differentiate between this and #3. Seemed a little quieter.
5. This take seemed fizzier than the previous 4. Not sure what this one was.

Just back from rehearsal. You turn us on on this ! Tomorrow morning with fresh ears I'll try to dig this to the bottom....(not sure that will be enough).

@FractalAudio
Understood however we know that other modelers are not modeling the hardware components to that degree so maybe the Axe can be set that way (to match the amps controls) but the others probably don’t and should be set by sound rather than knob position.

Wow that is a long sentence 😝

Because some members said 3 and 4 I went back and I am confused. 3 and 4 seem to have a lower volume to me. The gain seems to be different for those as well. If those are the ream amp and axe-fx I would be surprised. There are some sizzle on the top there that I am not a big fan of and the deep bottom seem "crowded", but if the amp sounds like that, than the emulation is close.

Couldn't say what is what ..... however 1 and 2 were quite similar ..... 3 was very different and 4 was very different again .... 5 was very similar to 1 and 2.

Ben

Last edited:
Because some members said 3 and 4 I went back and I am confused. 3 and 4 seem to have a lower volume to me. The gain seems to be different for those as well. If those are the ream amp and axe-fx I would be surprised. There are some sizzle on the top there that I am not a big fan of and the deep bottom seem "crowded", but if the amp sounds like that, than the emulation is close.
You didn't miss the part about the guitar volume being rolled off, did you?

But then they are not accurate, which seems to be the intent of these threads ;)
Yep and I totally get that. I am from the school of “if it sounds good it is good” regardless of how you get there. That said, I appreciate the Fractal paradigm of modeling all components with amazing detail and accuracy and therefore I appreciate Cliff’s intention for the post. I am coming around to the Fractal way and learning more about how tube amps actually work from this modeler which is an amazing thing. But I digress...

Back
Top Bottom