They All Sound the Same Part Deux

from the first two, I thought "crap they sound really close" then I heard the last two :eyes:

edit: also agree with a lot of other people, since the post indicates the volume knob is turned halfway, the lower volume/gain ones might be the accurate ones / amp. I don't ever mess with my volume on my humbucker guitars so I honestly don't know how an amp like the 5150 should respond to half volume on the volume pot.

Last edited:
Hmm. My gut says the 3rd and 4th are the Amp and Axe FX because they cleaned up so much more with the volume rolled back. Many other modelers suck at that. 4th one is clearly much brighter. Does the guitar in question have a treble bypass cap?

Last edited:
Well, they definitely don't all sound the same.

Questions: If 1 and 2 are closest match, are they the Fractal and amp? If not, what accounts for the discrepancies? 1 and 2 are very different from 3 and 4, and even 3 and 4 differ form one another significantly. Only a subtle difference between 1 and 2 to my ears.

200.gif

Listening through a pair of computer speakers, not my monitors, but there are clear differences:
1 is sort of baseline by definition, because of order effects. So everything else ends up getting compared to that. If that's the sound you're after, it sounds fine.
2 is pretty good, but lacks some nice bottom compared to 1, or at least it's not as forward. It also rolls off the highs compared to 1, which might be fine in some mixes.
3 seems to have a very different level of gain on it. Feels harder to compare it for that reason.
4 is thin and reedy, not a very good sound at all.

My main point being that even through pretty small, cheap computer speakers, I'm hearing differences and similarities. This is NOT my preferred tone, so that may bias me.

1 and 2 are nice and beefy with good attack and a sweet ring at the end. Organic would describe them best.
3 sounds thin and neutered to my ears, maybe a touch abrasive
4 has those weird bass pollution in there, like inverted harmonics

What really stuck me in the first two were the harmonics that jump immediately after muting the strings.

Listening through a pair of computer speakers, not my monitors, but there are clear differences:
1 is sort of baseline by definition, because of order effects. So everything else ends up getting compared to that. If that's the sound you're after, it sounds fine.
2 is pretty good, but lacks some nice bottom compared to 1, or at least it's not as forward. It also rolls off the highs compared to 1, which might be fine in some mixes.
3 seems to have a very different level of gain on it. Feels harder to compare it for that reason.
4 is thin and reedy, not a very good sound at all.

My main point being that even through pretty small, cheap computer speakers, I'm hearing differences and similarities. This is NOT my preferred tone, so that may bias me.
Via iPhone… this ^^^^^

Last edited:
Since you noted the guitar volume was rolled back half way the output should be reflective of this.
1,2 and 5 are modelers that don't react properly to the volume knob.

3 is the Axe (I find adjusting the treble or presence a little more gets the top end difference between the tube amp a little closer. Did this on my 5150 3 50 watt Green channel and very pleased with the comparison.)

4 is the amp

Yeah l think 3 and 4 are the Axe FX and the Amp. Rolling your guitar volume back half way should clean most amps up quite a bit, although many high gain modern amps don't clean up particularly gracefully compared to say a Plexi.

Yeah l think 3 and 4 are the Axe FX and the Amp. Rolling your guitar volume back half way should clean most amps up quite a bit, although many high gain modern amps don't clean up particularly gracefully compared to say a Plexi.
This is my concern; I’ve never really cleaned up or rolled back a Vol pot on high gain. 3&4 don’t seem right from other amp types. Too old school I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom