Wish View in full screen

+1, but not super important to me. If it takes major rework of the rendering engine, there are other things I'd rather see that effort go to.

I think a reasonable accommodation would be to reformat the editors around a 16:9 fixed aspect ratio. That's by far the most common screen aspect ratio in use these days. Almost nothing uses 4:3 anymore. Seems like that would be MUCH less work than completely reworking everything to support a variable aspect ratio.

@Michael Pickens, curious if there is any particular reason the editors are still using a 4:3 layout (close to it anyway)? Is this a legacy carryover thing from the OG Axe Edit back when 4:3 monitors were the norm?

Last edited:
Fractal has stated multiple times that this isn't possible. The editor requires a fixed geometry to maintain aspect ratio for proper display and alignment of elements within.

All the editors are like this.
Ah didn't think about that. Well, no probs. Thanks

I think a reasonable accommodation would be to reformat the editors around a 16:9 fixed aspect ratio. That's by far the most common screen aspect ratio in use these days. Almost nothing uses 4:3 anymore. Seems like that would be MUCH less work than completely reworking everything to support a variable aspect ratio.
That idea makes the most sense to me...

@Michael Pickens, curious if there is any particular reason the editors are still using a 4:3 layout (close to it anyway)? Is this a legacy carryover thing from the OG Axe Edit back when 4:3 monitors were the norm?

16:9 makes sooo much more sense.

Axe-Edit is scalable but remains proportional -- so it isn't "stretchy". The problem with this is that typical screen proportions have changed over the years. I recently designed a widescreen and even slightly stretchy version of Axe-Edit as a vehicle to explore some new GUI elements. It has some promise, I think, but whether or not we'll have time to build it depends on a lot of other things. Given that, I could possibly share it here and welcome your constructive feedback.

Last edited:
Awesome. Coding UI stuff is a pain. Just when you think you've got it, one thing gets messed up and throws off a bunch of alignments and spacing. I've coded up a few simple front ends for various corporate apps and it's often tedious at best. Fixed aspect is SO much easier.

Awesome. Coding UI stuff is a pain. Just when you think you've got it, one thing gets messed up and throws off a bunch of alignments and spacing. I've coded up a few simple front ends for various corporate apps and it's often tedious at best. Fixed aspect is SO much easier.
I agree. Something may seem simple to do. And as it turns out, it requires a huge amount of work. Especially with such a large number of interface elements.

Axe-Edit is scalable but remains proportional -- so it isn't "stretchy". The problem with this is that typical screen proportions have changed over the years. I recently designed a widescreen and even slightly stretchy version of Axe-Edit as a vehicle to explore some new GUI elements. It has some promise, I think, but whether or not we'll have time to build it depends on a lot of other things. Given that, I could possibly share it here and welcome your constructive feedback.
Thank you!
Bu what if the preset leveling tool will be added to the screen?
I always have that opened too, so it’s maybe possible to add this permanent to the screen.

Yes, one might ask one's self whether having up-to-the-minute versions of Axe-Edit, FM3-Edit, FM9-Edit, plus all their "Tools", plus all of the integrated "FC Edit" stuff isn't worth "compromising" stretchiness, full dark mode, etc. -- at least so far.
Ever since I got a 32" ultrawide monitor, I don't run anything besides games, video editors, and DAW in full screen mode. I can see why someone would want it on a smaller laptop, though. I'd rather have up-to-the-minute versions plus all the "tools," myself, if that's the tradeoff.

1643311604811.png

I would even take a blank fill of the gained space, when going fullscreen. Just to get more focus on the editor. That would be a short-term compromise that I would do.

A widescreen variant of *-Edit is surely a lot better and a truly responsive editor the best, obviously.

Last edited:
I’d be interested.

If this was brand new greenfield project sure, variable aspect ratio, or if not that, then a more modern ratio.

But it's not fresh start, it's functional as is, and there are a bunch of things I'd rather were higher priority than reworking this.

/$.000002.

If this was brand new greenfield project sure, variable aspect ratio, or if not that, then a more modern ratio.

But it's not fresh start, it's functional as is, and there are a bunch of things I'd rather were higher priority than reworking this.

/$.000002.
I’m no begging for it to be a “must have fix right now” type of thing, I’m just saying that it seemed kinda weird that you couldn’t open it full screen and it would be nice. That’s all!

Yes ok for me for my 34"

Back
Top Bottom