Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 19.00

What I found is that lowering the Transformer LF works with the Rumble 4x12, but with the Dirty Shirley, 1x12 USA and HiWatt, you need to raise it.
Amazing: works as designed, or as configured by selecting those SICs.

Would be interesting if anyone has experienced that kind of oscillation in a real amp accidentally or otherwise.

What an update, yet again!

Things that might help to hear a difference when changing between different power tubes:
  • Preferably use an amp you have experience with, so you are used to how it sounds.
  • Play a riff or a lick you really know well. Easier to hear subtle differences that way. If you keep hitting just one note or a chord and keep switching back and forth the differences might not be that audible.
  • Sometimes the differences just are not that audible. Can be also a feel thing. That’s why hitting a chord and switching back and forth doesn’t work that well. Playing different stuff with variable dynamics might help you to spot the differences.
  • You can use a looper so you can focus more on the sound, but I personally think it’s also important to hear how the different tube types react on your playing while your at it.
If you can’t hear a difference, just leave it be 🙂

The subject has been discussed for years and someone posted a link earlier of a heavy discussion here.

Very informative!

I’m still of the opinion that when changing tubes on a real amp the impact on the response and sound can be very dramatic.

I posted before that with my Mesa Mark III & 2x12 cab with EVs the outer tubes are interchangeable between 6L6 or EL34.

Mesa described it as the “American Rock” flavor with 6L6 and the “British Rock” flavor with the EL34.

Both sounds were awesome with the 6L6 sounding more smooth and warm and the EL34 setup sounding more open, harsh and not as smooth.

The difference was dramatic.

I stayed with the 6L6. I prefer smoother leads.

This is probably why we lay techs are still discussing.

Again this was discussed heavily and still being discussed.

Maybe it’s something that needs to addressed in future advancement.

Then again ....maybe not.

I’m content with Fractal progressing as they see fit!

A herd of elephants cannot ever get me away from my Axe!!

The FOH sound is all that really matters for me at this point. (& a decent monitor)

When I play real amps I often notice how loud the SC hum is there, often way more prominent than in my presets. Could be that my presets are still too dark sounding, I don't know. However that hum from the guitar or noise from my wireless is what real amps amplify too besides the wanted signal. And if I want a perfect copy of the real sound, might be I also get exactly the same hum and noise.
So rise the threshold of the noisegate and see hum as something that belongs there, ok?

A few years back when I owned a Diezel Einstein 100w head, I experimented a lot with different tubes.
I could clearly hear the difference between different 12ax7 brands (EV vs JJ vs Sovtek,...)
Changing power tubes between 6l6, 6550, KT77, 6ca7 also made a noticeable difference.
In the Axe, I can't tell the difference. I wonder if this is a volume thing ?
The Diezel was usually set very loud.​

A few years back when I owned a Diezel Einstein 100w head, I experimented a lot with different tubes.
I could clearly hear the difference between different 12ax7 brands (EV vs JJ vs Sovtek,...)
Changing power tubes between 6l6, 6550, KT77, 6ca7 also made a noticeable difference.
I had VH4, VH2 and Herbert.
I also could hear clear difference when changing tubes in those amps.
Diezels are known for their sensitivity and quite a big change in sound/feel when you retube them.
On diezel forum it is explained that this is because of it´s unique circut design, IDK.
With fractal, I just laugh how small the difference is when changing preamp/power amp glass ... :D
I embrace fractal for what it does, read all the tech notes..but then, again, you pull out your amp, change tubes and there is pronounced change, even at low volume.

Last edited:
If you up the master volume, you may hear more of a difference.

I had VH4, VH2 and Herbert.
I also could hear clear difference when changing tubes in those amps.
Diezels are known for their sensitivity and quite a big change in sound/feel when you retube them.
On diezel forum it is explained that this is because of it´s unique circut design, IDK.
With fractal, I just laugh how small the difference is when changing preamp/power amp glass ... :D
I embrace fractal for what it does, read all the tech notes..but then, again, you pull out your amp, change tubes and there is pronounced change, even at low volume.
It's also possible that there's more random production variation in real-world tubes than in the carefully controlled models of them in the Axe. Some of the differences you heard may be down to that, not characteristics of specific tube types or brands.

It's also possible that there's more random production variation in real-world tubes than in the carefully controlled models of them in the Axe. Some of the differences you heard may be down to that, not characteristics of specific tube types or brands.
could be.
OTOH, fractal modeling is evolving week by week.
We always have some measurements, where Cliff shows with his graphs, how things are accurate or there is next to no difference to the real counterparts, but then, later down the road we have updates with now things being even more accurate.
Don´t get me wrong, I love this progress :)
But maybe, just maybe, at this point, changing tubes in fractal may not give you the same results as in analog domain.

Last edited:
We don't have an Einstein model in the Axe so maybe the Einstein is an amp that's more sensitive to tubes than other amps. It's the only thing I can think of.

MEME2022-01-20-09-20-51.jpg
Ahh, yes. Good old Sigmoid Freud. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom