FM9 Firmware Version 2.0 public beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m hearing something similar in the current beta for the FM3 and the Double Verb Vibrato. It’s a low frequency oscillation, that seems tied to the AMP, OUT and a CS. I can remove the CS or disable/remove either block and it stops. I sent an email to Fractal about it.
I got a Spanish station when i went to a few certain presets. Reminded me of the old days with cheap amps and bad wiring. Only. It’s never happened in my fractal before the latest FM3 beta 😂

not sure if anyone else mentioned this problem, but when I switch to a preset I made on the original firmware that had high cpu usage, FM9 edit freezes in beta, and i can't even go back to other presets. The preset is playable on the floor unit, and I can switch back to another preset from the unit. I can also edit the preset from the unit to get the cpu back down, but the preset was completely fine in prior firmware

not sure if anyone else mentioned this problem, but when I switch to a preset I made on the original firmware that had high cpu usage, FM9 edit freezes in beta, and i can't even go back to other presets. The preset is playable on the floor unit, and I can switch back to another preset from the unit. I can also edit the preset from the unit to get the cpu back down, but the preset was completely fine in prior firmware
Is the CPU up around 83%+?

I think this is a pretty wide spread issue with everyone using the FM9 Edit on the beta. 80% CPU or higher seems to be when the issues start with the extreme lag on the editor. I find it odd that this didn’t present itself on the private beta testing and addressed prior to the public beta.

Idea: Just re-scale the DSP percentage to where 82% equals 100%. That would clear up a lot of issues haha

Might as well make an empty layout equal 0.0%, too.
It's not a simple scale... This has been talked about going back to (at least) the Axe Fx II.

It's not a simple scale... This has been talked about going back to (at least) the Axe Fx II.
Strange. I would think 5% - 82% could be scaled to 0% - 100% pretty easily. Obviously, I don’t know how Fractal works but I do a good bit of programming in the A/V world (QSYS, Biamp, some Crestron, etc.) and rescaling for the end user happens pretty often.

If you happen to have a link to any of that convo, I’m intrigued to read up a bit.

Strange. I would think 5% - 82% could be scaled to 0% - 100% pretty easily. Obviously, I don’t know how Fractal works but I do a good bit of programming in the A/V world (QSYS, Biamp, some Crestron, etc.) and rescaling for the end user happens pretty often.

If you happen to have a link to any of that convo, I’m intrigued to read up a bit.

I think it's more a matter that neither of those are absolutes. What if 82% isn't always 100%? As a programmer, I'm sure you realize the scaling isn't always linear or constant.

I think it's more a matter that neither of those are absolutes. What if 82% isn't always 100%? As a programmer, I'm sure you realize the scaling isn't always linear or constant.
Right. Totally understand that it’s not linear in the micro view of a programmer. But it’s common when designing a UI to make the user experience a bit more macro.

Right now, we have a false ceiling. We can’t get near 100% and if we have an issue, Fractal says “is your preset over 80%”? What’s 80%? For an average user, that’s arbitrary. If it won’t output sound by 85%, what’s that last 15% for haha.

It was just an idea.

Right. Totally understand that it’s not linear in the micro view of a programmer. But it’s common when designing a UI to make the user experience a bit more macro.

Right now, we have a false ceiling. We can’t get near 100% and if we have an issue, Fractal says “is your preset over 80%”? What’s 80%? For an average user, that’s arbitrary. If it won’t output sound by 85%, what’s that last 15% for haha.

It was just an idea.
I have no real idea....but my guess is that every patch is different. Some things work well together at a higher CPU, maybe others don't. There are huge variances in what each block can do and the load it bears. In guitar dude terms....maybe it is like a "compressor/limiter" with a "noise gate" that lets some things pass and not shutdown.

Since loading the beta I'm seeing more disconnects when the computer sits for a while and sleeps. Occasionally I have to restart the FM9, sometimes I can restart FM9-Edit and the connection will be reestablished.

This is on an iMac Pro that's been running with no problems for quite a while with all three devices connected.

The Energy Saver is not trying to put drives to sleep.
Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 1.59.26 PM.png

Since loading the beta I'm seeing more disconnects when the computer sits for a while and sleeps. Occasionally I have to restart the FM9, sometimes I can restart FM9-Edit and the connection will be reestablished.

This is on an iMac Pro that's been running with no problems for quite a while with all three devices connected.

The Energy Saver is not trying to put drives to sleep.
View attachment 94314
I see a lot of FM9Edit re-reading name lists when opening things like the cab selector and preset selector windows, and a whole lot of laggy behavior that seems to be related to FM9Edit and the FM9 having a slow or maybe narcoleptic comms connection....

Just as a data point, all my patches, other than factory ones, run below 70% except one which is at 73%.

According to the man, the USB connectivity is handled by a separate microcontroller just like the FX3, so it seems like it'd be immune to a high CPU load unless the pipe is getting starved for data. When the CPU load gets high the system is supposed to prioritize the sound quality, which, to me, implies the data flowing through USB would be impacted, but with my low CPU rates that doesn't seem right.

I'm hoping we'll see an update for the FM9 this week that we mistake for a unicorn covered with pink glitter.

Apparently I am not using enough CPU
.... I fired up the FM3 and the FM9 today
And Good lawd a merchy the nine sounds so great!! I'm gonna sell the 3. And it sounds amazing.

So I'm gonna put up some crappy videos with great audio. You have been warned 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom