FM3 Firmware Version 5.00 beta 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
My FM3 freezes a lot of times in presets around 87 per cent in CPU when you want to change something. But in my case in firmware 4.01 too.
Since 4.01 and actual 5Beta1 I never got freezes anymore if CPU exceeds - only Audio mute and a bit laggy, but changing to lower CPU usage (eg CAB Ultrares to standard or Reverb to Eco) working.
FM3-Edit connected ? May check if disconnecting USB will work to prevent freeze in such cases ?

Since 4.01 and actual 5Beta1 I never got freezes anymore if CPU exceeds - only Audio mute and a bit laggy, but changing to lower CPU usage (eg CAB Ultrares to standard or Reverb to Eco) working.
FM3-Edit connected ? May check if disconnecting USB will work to prevent freeze in such cases ?
My Fm3 freezes more with every upgrade, and in my case a bit laggy too with high CPU. But I tried that with my computer conected only. I'll try without the computer and the edit program and if the Fm3 freezes again I'll write here in the forum

My Fm3 freezes more with every upgrade, and in my case a bit laggy too with high CPU. But I tried that with my computer conected only. I'll try without the computer and the edit program and if the Fm3 freezes again I'll write here in the forum
Did you try to reset system parameters?

Possible bug in Pitch Block using Virtual Capo

I know, I know. "Here he goes, whining about the VC again..." But to that I say, "Oh nay, nay!" I think I've actually found a bug.

Upon loading 5.0b, I went to my Downtuned preset (attached). The shift parameter is tied to an external controller tied to a MIDI CC. So, without that MIDI command, the pitch block is on but shift set to 0. Mix is at 100%. This yields me a sound like a slapback delay. I hear the original note after a bit of latency (~25ms, measured) followed by the same note repeated back at about 215ms delay. Now, when I go in and remove the modifier from the Shift parameter, the slapback sound goes away and I'm only hearing the one expected note at an improved latency, even when I shift the pitch.

I can then leave the preset and come back; even though the modifier has returned, since that's how it's saved, the preset works as expected; no slapback, no dual notes, etc.

Attachments

• Downtuned.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 7
@Ugly Bunny I had something weird like that happen the 1st time I used the VC in 5b. There was a huge latency with 0 semitone shift. I went down step and the latency went back to normal. then back to 0 and it was normal there too. I dint think soo much other than, hmm that was weird.

What the ... i can't count how many people waited for an updated pitch.
This is really really disappointing. For me, the virtual capo is almost unusable.
Wobbly and laggy - this is all the FM3 can handle? There has to be a solution - an option to sacrifice something else to push the pitch for example.
Welcome to the land of constantly being dissatisfied with the FM3 due to CPU constraints. I had to bite the bullet and get the III because the CPU issues with the FM3 drove me insane. I assume the CPU for the III can't fit into the FM3 but even if it did, Fractal wouldn't do it because they wouldn't sell as many IIIs.

I know, I know. "Here he goes, whining about the VC again..." But to that I say, "Oh nay, nay!" I think I've actually found a bug.

Upon loading 5.0b, I went to my Downtuned preset (attached). The shift parameter is tied to an external controller tied to a MIDI CC. So, without that MIDI command, the pitch block is on but shift set to 0. Mix is at 100%. This yields me a sound like a slapback delay. I hear the original note after a bit of latency (~25ms, measured) followed by the same note repeated back at about 215ms delay. Now, when I go in and remove the modifier from the Shift parameter, the slapback sound goes away and I'm only hearing the one expected note at an improved latency, even when I shift the pitch.

I can then leave the preset and come back; even though the modifier has returned, since that's how it's saved, the preset works as expected; no slapback, no dual notes, etc.
I could be wrong, but I remember Cliff or someone at Fractal stating about a "0 shift": Don't do that.

Pretty sure this is a documented case of "don't do that".

Don't set your shift to 0.

Try instead bypassing the block or set Mix to 0%.

Edit:

@jclemensfl posted while I was typing :)

I could be wrong, but I remember Cliff or someone at Fractal stating about a "0 shift": Don't do that.
Pretty sure this is a documented case of "don't do that".

Don't set your shift to 0.

Try instead bypassing the block or set Mix to 0%.

Edit:

@jclemensfl posted while I was typing :)
Gotcha; yeah, I get all that, but when it's attached to a modifier and the modifier is attached to a MIDI CC and changing into that preset manually doesn't send the MIDI command, there's really nothing I can do. In any case, if this is a known issue (feature, not a bug, like a Bethesda game lol) then it's all good. Just weird that it only happens the one time after loading the FW. Of course, I didn't try turning it off and back on and seeing if it reverted to the wonkiness. We'll see.

Gotcha; yeah, I get all that, but when it's attached to a modifier and the modifier is attached to a MIDI CC and changing into that preset manually doesn't send the MIDI command, there's really nothing I can do. In any case, if this is a known issue (feature, not a bug, like a Bethesda game lol) then it's all good. Just weird that it only happens the one time after loading the FW. Of course, I didn't try turning it off and back on and seeing if it reverted to the wonkiness. We'll see.
You might want to check out External Controller Initial Value settings...

Welcome to the land of constantly being dissatisfied with the FM3 due to CPU constraints. I had to bite the bullet and get the III because the CPU issues with the FM3 drove me insane. I assume the CPU for the III can't fit into the FM3 but even if it did, Fractal wouldn't do it because they wouldn't sell as many IIIs.
I’m perfectly happy with the cpu on the fm3. I assume you have some inside knowledge to make that insinuation about fractals intentions to keep iii sales high by artificially limiting other products. No, of course you don’t. Such a shame when people come on to a community forum to slag off the vendor without foundation. I ignore most of it, then get frustrated and bite sometimes.

I’m perfectly happy with the cpu on the fm3. I assume you have some inside knowledge to make that insinuation about fractals intentions to keep iii sales high by artificially limiting other products. No, of course you don’t. Such a shame when people come on to a community forum to slag off the vendor without foundation. I ignore most of it, then get frustrated and bite sometimes.

Yeah I don't get why people have to pitch a fit with stuff like this. Just get the product that fits your needs. The vendor has provided a good range of products, choose wisely.

It's not "inside knowledge" it's common business sense. You never make two products in your line with the exact same specs. You make a flagship product and make cheaper versions with some of the features of the most expensive unit. Look at cars, you can either buy a V6 Camaro RS or an Camaro SS with a V8. The car has the same name, and they both may have leather seats, but the engine is different which makes a huge difference. It makes no business sense to put the III CPU into the FM3 or FM9 because way less people would buy the III and the III is their big money maker. And the FM3 CPU may work for you, but it has aggravated a ton of people like myself who had to buy the III so I wouldn't pull any more of my hair out. And both units are fantastic or I wouldn't own one. I just think the FM3 CPU doesn't cut it for my needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom