FM9 Firmware Version 2.0 public beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rolled back to the initial release firmware and the v1.0.1 FM9 editor. The lag I was getting between my computer, FM9, and the (beta 1.0.2) editor rendered the editor unusable for me. I also noticed (and confirmed) my CPU use via the v1.0.1 FM9 editor is roughly 2% lower across each of my user made presets compared to the v 2 beta. Which were all roughly 2% higher per preset. I don't know if this is useful info or not, but I'll be happy to give the next firmware a try. Beta or not.

I didn't get to spend near as much "quality" time with the beta because one of my presets that was borderline CPU wise, on the initial firmware was consistently over the CPU limit with the v2 beta. This was a replication of a preset that ran smoothly with CPU to spare on my AX8 FWIW.

As I mentioned lag was a significant problem while FM9 was connected to my computer via USB, but when I'd disconnect the USB cable from the FM9, the lag became noticeably reduced. But not to initial firmware release levels. From what I've read here, it seem to be a mixed bag with regard to who is having lag issues and who isn't. What I experienced was severe.

I'm not looking to make a fuss about any of this. Just reporting my experiences with the v2 beta. I'm back in business on v1, and I look forward to the next firmware candidate.

I rolled back to the initial release firmware and the v1.0.1 FM9 editor. The lag I was getting between my computer, FM9, and the (beta 1.0.2) editor rendered the editor unusable for me. I also noticed (and confirmed) my CPU use via the v1.0.1 FM9 editor is roughly 2% lower across each of my user made presets compared to the v 2 beta. Which were all roughly 2% higher per preset. I don't know if this is useful info or not, but I'll be happy to give the next firmware a try. Beta or not.

I didn't get to spend near as much "quality" time with the beta because one of my presets that was borderline CPU wise, on the initial firmware was consistently over the CPU limit with the v2 beta. This was a replication of a preset that ran smoothly with CPU to spare on my AX8 FWIW.

As I mentioned lag was a significant problem while FM9 was connected to my computer via USB, but when I'd disconnect the USB cable from the FM9, the lag became noticeably reduced. But not to initial firmware release levels. From what I've read here, it seem to be a mixed bag with regard to who is having lag issues and who isn't. What I experienced was severe.

I'm not looking to make a fuss about any of this. Just reporting my experiences with the v2 beta. I'm back in business on v1, and I look forward to the next firmware candidate.

This was basically my experience too.

Same for me too. And my two self made presets were averaging 72% on the newest editor, and about 69-70% on FM9 Edit 1.01.

Also, the unit hangs on bootup about once every 3 times. The fan turns on to self test, and all the switches light up, but no progress bar.

Last edited:
The powering-on and not getting output is still continuing. I’m up to 6x now and not getting anything.

Going to lug it into the studio to see if I can load the backup from my Imac instead of my macbook.

What about doing a reset from the utility menu option and then load in your old backup? Sounds like the OS is definitely hosed and could benefit from being completely reloaded followed by your previous version backup after the reset.
Sorry about that Rev. I meant to do a reset from the setup utility menu. I was not at my system when I typed that. I corrected my original post. See unix-guy’s instructions above.

Thanks for the clarification @unix-guy.

I've now experienced getting hung repeatedly on the boot screen. A slow editor I can live with, but I'm going to roll back to firmware V1 this evening. It was fun and does sound great, let me know when she's stable.

The powering-on and not getting output is still continuing. I’m up to 6x now and not getting anything.

Going to lug it into the studio to see if I can load the backup from my Imac instead of my macbook.
You are not alone. Im in the same boat. Which sucks. Mine always start with the volume dropping halfway and then when I switch a preset a loud pop happens, and the no sound. But I really like the verbs I had set.

Have either of you contacted Fractal support in the event that you may have a hardware issue? Some of your reported issues do not sound similar to what most others are reporting as their experience with the upgrade. Just saying.

Have either of you contacted Fractal support in the event that you may have a hardware issue? Some of your reported issues do not sound similar to what most others are reporting as their experience with the upgrade. Just saying.
I’ve had that issue happen a few times to me, too. Power cycling solved the issue for me.

I’ve had that issue happen a few times to me, too. Power cycling solved the issue for me.
The only reason I ask the question is that as I understand it, power recycling does not help @RevDrucifer and he can’t roll back to the previous version. Have not seen that with most reports here. Most people are going back to Ver 1.0.0 with no issues. Right?

The only reason I ask the question is that as I understand it, power recycling does not help @RevDrucifer and he can’t roll back to the previous version. Have not seen that with most reports here. Most people are going back to Ver 1.0.0 with no issues. Right?
Yes! When i go back to Version 1.0 its all fine. Only when I update to the beta. Ive updated twice just to double check it and it keeps happening. When i power cycle on 2.0 it fixes it for a time but then for me the problem acures again. I pray its not a hardware issues as i just got it back from them not to long ago for a scrceen repair.

The v1 firmware (as well as FM9 Edit v 1.0.1) are on the FM9 downloads page. I just used Fractalbot to roll back. It was easy and all went smoothly. My presets were fine and I didn't need to reload my backups or anything. YMMV

Last edited:
I’ve noticed another bug with the beta—at least one amp models produces a low frequency oscillation. I created a preset, which I’ve attached, that uses the Double Verb Vibrato model. A normalized recording of the oscillation is included in the attached zip file, and is pictured below. The oscillation occurs even if I remove the input block and every block prior to the amp block. Bypassing the amp block makes the oscillation stop. Has anyone else had this happen?

FM9 Oscillation.png

Attachments

• Hum.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 0
  • FM9 Oscillation.zip
    262.6 KB · Views: 0
I’ve noticed another bug with the beta—at least one amp models produces a low frequency oscillation. I created a preset, which I’ve attached, that uses the Double Verb Vibrato model. A normalized recording of the oscillation is included in the attached zip file, and is pictured below. The oscillation occurs even if I remove the input block and every block prior to the amp block. Bypassing the amp block makes the oscillation stop. Has anyone else had this happen?

View attachment 93497
Maybe this is the same:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/bug-some-impedance-curves-making-amp-block-oscillate.179842/

Question for Windows guys - are all aware there is a USB driver v 5.30 on the FM9 download page? Shows a Dec 10, 2021 date but I didn't catch a mention of it on the forum. Edit is still a bit sluggish to me but that seemed to help my machine communicate a little better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom