AFIII Apologies to Vernon Reid

Dr. Faustus

Inspired
I am getting more at home with the Axe and to keep me engaged with it I bought a bunch of cheesy backing tracks and it sure is lot of fun trying to pull them off.

These are just scratch takes that I threw down last night for fun and when I listened back to them I was wondering if it was all a dream.

Just gonna share these without comment for now because I need to woodshed a few chords before I record the guitars correctly and record the vocals. Gonna do Mary Had A Little Lamb for my Dad for Christmas. He'll get it.

I fixed a lot of the errors in the songs I posted before and added the vocals and other parts. And good Lord this AxeFX is insanely life-changing and good. All the good, in one place. By my desk.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just a regional thing, but I'm getting "Oops, we couldn't find that track" messages for both soundclouds.

[edit] Update - the soundclounds are now showing!

Last edited:
I am getting more at home with the Axe and to keep me engaged with it I bought a bunch of cheesy backing tracks and it sure is lot of fun trying to pull them off.

These are just scratch takes that I threw down last night for fun and when I listened back to them I was wondering if it was all a dream.

Just gonna share these without comment for now because I need to woodshed a few chords before I record the guitars correctly and record the vocals. Gonna do Mary Had A Little Lamb for my Dad for Christmas. He'll get it.

Sorry to post such sloppiness, but good Lord this AxeFX is insanely life-changing and good. All the good, in one place. By my desk.

Good job, d00D!

Loved their stuff in the day. Wondered what happened when they disappeared....

Good job, d00D!

Loved their stuff in the day. Wondered what happened when they disappeared....
They had a period where they all went off and did their own thing, but they reformed, and have been touring pretty consistently for several years. I've seen them on a couple tours since moving down to Australia, in '16.

Boy after the mess I made out of that STP song I had to redeem myself at least a little. I did some homework, broke out a condenser mic and an acoustic, and took a slide to the neck '59 in my FF338. And I sang my little heart out (don't expect much!)

This is getting more fun by the day. I am relearning a lot of stuff about my DAW and hooking lots of things up to it. The new G7 laptop is holding up well, I think. The Axe could not be better.

EDIT TO ADD: Dad got my Christmas gift and Mom says that since he opened the e-mail he's practically played it on a loop, so I guess he likes it! That's very cool because you can't buy anything for the man.
O and I wanted to tell you guys about the preset. I made it out of the two modded JCM800s in a full stereo rig. I used an assortment of very cool cabs from the Axe, from YA, and from Redwirez. I set the drive low, and then after hearing the amps together, lowered it again. The thing is barking. And since it's two 800s it's called 1600. I am certain I am the first to think of this. :yum: Best Christmas. I am taking the Fractal up to Dad on Sunday. I'm going to let him compare his home-built 5F8 and his home-built bassman and his home-built deluxe (he's a madman with a lot of free time) to the BEVY of amps in the Turbo.

Haven't seen him since December 2019!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-25 002813.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-12-25 002813.jpg
    601.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Sorry to post such sloppiness, but good Lord this AxeFX is insanely life-changing and good. All the good, in one place. By my desk.

Love Vernon's Tone in the song Leave it alone. I think it's his best tone ever.

Love Vernon's Tone in the song Leave it alone. I think it's his best tone ever.

I was used to seeing him with the white Strat-stye for a long time. Then I think he went a little steampunk for a bit. But when I checked out the vid for Love Rears Up he was playing a semi-hollow with two humbuckers. I almost grabbed my FF338 but went with the FFLP instead, as the 338 has good SDs in it, but the FFLP has some really interesting Pure PAFs in it.

Here is the updated Love Rears Its Ugly Head! Now with vocals and more vocals.

Boy after the mess I made out of that STP song I had to redeem myself at least a little. I did some homework, broke out a condenser mic and an acoustic, and took a slide to the neck '59 in my FF338. And I sang my little heart out (don't expect much!)

This is getting more fun by the day. I am relearning a lot of stuff about my DAW and hooking lots of things up to it. The new G7 laptop is holding up well, I think. The Axe could not be better.

EDIT TO ADD: Dad got my Christmas gift and Mom says that since he opened the e-mail he's practically played it on a loop, so I guess he likes it! That's very cool because you can't buy anything for the man.
O and I wanted to tell you guys about the preset. I made it out of the two modded JCM800s in a full stereo rig. I used an assortment of very cool cabs from the Axe, from YA, and from Redwirez. I set the drive low, and then after hearing the amps together, lowered it again. The thing is barking. And since it's two 800s it's called 1600. I am certain I am the first to think of this. :yum: Best Christmas. I am taking the Fractal up to Dad on Sunday. I'm going to let him compare his home-built 5F8 and his home-built bassman and his home-built deluxe (he's a madman with a lot of free time) to the BEVY of amps in the Turbo.

Haven't seen him since December 2019!

Great job that really sounds awesome

Hi guys! Thanks, @Freds55!

I am posting first to say thank you for indulging me as I try to relearn my craft and improve it, but I have bigger news:

I am with my parents for the first time since 2019. Dad just heard my gift through big speakers finally and he's pumped. I am super happy to finally be with him today. Please be well and I hope everyone had a Christmas as awesome as mine!

I very much am thrilled that this community is so awesome. I'll be back with more, I will take any and all mixing/mastering/EQ advice so do not hold back! Bless you all.

I can't stop until I run out of tunes I can't even attempt to sing. This one means a lot to me, as I am in recovery from ethanol abuse (almost 12 months dry.)

I'm having a real 80's/90's revival in here, with lots of radio rock. Weird.

The Strat on the left is guitar for the clean tones, and the Red RG770DX with the JB/'59 combo is for all the heavy stuff.

...and I updated Basket Case with lots and lots more guitar:

I can't stop until I run out of tunes I can't even attempt to sing. This one means a lot to me, as I am in recovery from ethanol abuse (almost 12 months dry.)

I'm having a real 80's/90's revival in here, with lots of radio rock. Weird.

The Strat on the left is guitar for the clean tones, and the Red RG770DX with the JB/'59 combo is for all the heavy stuff.

...and I updated Basket Case with lots and lots more guitar:

Congratulations on the 12 months that is awesome you got it man.

I was used to seeing him with the white Strat-stye for a long time. Then I think he went a little steampunk for a bit. But when I checked out the vid for Love Rears Up he was playing a semi-hollow with two humbuckers. I almost grabbed my FF338 but went with the FFLP instead, as the 338 has good SDs in it, but the FFLP has some really interesting Pure PAFs in it.

Here is the updated Love Rears Its Ugly Head! Now with vocals and more vocals.

this one sounded dead nuts. good job

Congratulations on the 12 months that is awesome you got it man.
Gonna be a couple weeks, can't count the chickens yet; but thanks very much! It is rarely as difficult as it was in January, but you could be right... maybe I've got this. Of course, I must never allow myself to think that way. Bless you, sir.
this one sounded dead nuts. good job
That Firefly FFLP really really shocked me on this one. Thank you!

Apologies to Eddie. I've stepped in it now!

Turns out hot hot tea and honey really works, not that you'll be able to tell. But I can. :p

Little Dreamer! My first EVH recording foray on the Axe3. I did the practical and excellent route of borrowing one of @Burgs presets, the Shades of Brown. Grabbed the 50W 6CA7 and just tweaked it. Gain about 6.75. Bass rolled back to maybe 3 o'clock. Other than that it's that amp. No idea what that IR block does except I know I like it better with it engaged.

I was expecting to play a Seymour Duncan on this. My Custom Custom is already in Drop D because I want to finish learning all the little bits of Drop Dead Legs, Unchained, and 5150 that I may not know yet. So I grabbed the RG1070 instead. It's the yoosh combination of a ToneZone, and JEM Single, and a neck pickup I don't really enjoy that much. But that ToneZone with the 6CA7 was the ticket, at least in my headphones it was. Just perfectly brown and with just the right punchy sizzle. Well, I mean, you be the judge. I've not played this much since I had gigs riding on it.
I honestly expected the TZ to have too much gain, but I kept the drive on the amp back a bit and that seemed to make it talk just right. Also I kept the volume rolled back for all the browner stuff.

Apologies to Eddie. I've stepped in it now!

Turns out hot hot tea and honey really works, not that you'll be able to tell. But I can. :p

Little Dreamer! My first EVH recording foray on the Axe3. I did the practical and excellent route of borrowing one of @Burgs presets, the Shades of Brown. Grabbed the 50W 6CA7 and just tweaked it. Gain about 6.75. Bass rolled back to maybe 3 o'clock. Other than that it's that amp. No idea what that IR block does except I know I like it better with it engaged.

I was expecting to play a Seymour Duncan on this. My Custom Custom is already in Drop D because I want to finish learning all the little bits of Drop Dead Legs, Unchained, and 5150 that I may not know yet. So I grabbed the RG1070 instead. It's the yoosh combination of a ToneZone, and JEM Single, and a neck pickup I don't really enjoy that much. But that ToneZone with the 6CA7 was the ticket, at least in my headphones it was. Just perfectly brown and with just the right punchy sizzle. Well, I mean, you be the judge. I've not played this much since I had gigs riding on it.
I honestly expected the TZ to have too much gain, but I kept the drive on the amp back a bit and that seemed to make it talk just right. Also I kept the volume rolled back for all the browner stuff.

Man that sounds great good job Keep on Rocking

I'm not really good at compliments which makes it all the more awkward since I feel I am fishing for them.Honestly and sincerely thank you very very much.
Dad has requested more SRV so I am considering the following two choices next:
Empty Arms (The Sky Is Crying up-tempo version) - consideration, it's way more up-tempo than I recall and I can't play it up to speed just yet, gonna need to woodshed some.
The other is going all-in on Couldn't Stand the Weather. I started on this one and am really encouraged. But I am trying to figure the best way to simulate Jimmy Vaughan's part. Right now I'm just relying on a Strat and a rotary to simulate the Fender 'Verb cab. It's not close enough so I am wondering if I should try doing something with a pitch block or different pickups.
Stevie's part is something I've been thinking about and visiting since I was fourteen, I know what I want to do there. ;)

If anyone has any ideas towards faking the Jimmy Vaughan instrumentation on that song/album, I'm really curious to know them.

E: After some experimentation I found on the 2017 v4 noiseless harness, middle position switch with vol knob button depressed is neck + mid in series. It's sounding good for the Jimmy Vaughan part, just needed some extra depth on that Leslie, too!

(Don't you hate when that happens?)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom