FM9 killed it this weekend!

WKSmith

Power User
D5AD2617-457A-48DC-9E73-6E97D2E8BC10.jpeg1E7E1873-B50E-407E-B7DC-EFE5857A47A8.jpeg

Had the best paying gig since before the plague over the weekend. The FM9 sounded stellar. This was its first gig.

In the FM9 I used dual DC30 and DC30 EF86 amps into G12H and greenback cabs.
...Even an acoustic IR and tube pre on one side for one acoustic ish patch. Crazy delays, HQ reverbs, Plex, pitch. Sounded ridonkulous! Don't be fooled by the capo , that was the strumming acoustic thing lol

I will add a link Christmas weekend, when they get finished in post. And y'all can hear and see the carnage haha.

View attachment 92781View attachment 92780

Had the best paying gig since before the plague over the weekend. The FM9 sounded stellar. This was its first gig.

...Even an acoustic IR and tube pre on one side for one acoustic ish patch. Crazy delays, HQ reverbs, Plex, pitch. Sounded ridonkulous! Don't be fooled by the capo , that was the strumming acoustic thing lol

I will add a link Christmas weekend, when they get finished in post. And y'all can hear and see the carnage haha.
Congrats on a great gig, or any gigs at all these days! It’s good to hear how well the FM9 is doing for you.

I had to brush up on reading charts and had to do some heavy sound design. I covered aux key parts and string lines, doubled piano and bass parts in a few places... while holding down a heavily guitar driven arrangement. It was great hearing delays bouncing around the room in stereo too!

Can't wait to hear the video👍

I had to brush up on reading charts and had to do some heavy sound design. I covered aux key parts and string lines, doubled piano and bass parts in a few places... while holding down a heavily guitar driven arrangement. It was great hearing delays bouncing around the room in stereo too!

Can't wait to hear the video👍

Wow! No wonder you were so tired. :)

View attachment 92781View attachment 92780

Very cool. Could you please elaborate on the signal chain and IR you used for the acoustic-ish patch. I have been trying to figure out a decent solution to this. Thanks!

I used the tube pre as the amp with 3sigma Martin 45 IRs ..using the neck pickup.
The other amp is the dc30ef86 with g12h and greenback cabs . Both share reverb and delay.

There is a gtr body IR floating around the forum I will try to find in a bit.

I used the tube pre as the amp with 3sigma Martin 45 IRs ..using the neck pickup.
The other amp is the dc30ef86 with g12h and greenback cabs . Both share reverb and delay.

There is a gtr body IR floating around the forum I will try to find in a bit.
I've seen several people mention the 3Sigma IRs. The thing is, on the 3Sigma website, they state:
"Instantly transform your acoustic instrument into a miked up masterpiece of the most sought after brands on top of the line gear"
These seem to be designed for use with an acoustic guitar, not an electric guitar. I guess there are many variables with electric guitars and depending on what sort of pups are used, one can potentially get away with it.

The best acoustic sound is an acoustic with the IRs. Iaresee did a great clip with the J45 IRs!!.
The 3sigma Martin 45 has a folder for magnetic pickups too.
here are the types the Martin 45 pack:

Anthem – IRs for Acoustic Guitars with an LR Baggs Anthem Pickup. They are identified by the ATM file tag.
Anthem SL – IRs for Acoustic Guitars with an LR Baggs Anthem SL Pickup. They are identified by the ATMSL file tag.
Dean – IRs for Acoustic Guitars with a Dean Markley DM3000 Pickup. They are identified by the DM file tag. The IRs are optimized for the industry standard placement of 1.5 inches behind the bridge and 1.5 inches below the high E string. A picture of this placement can be found on the pickup’s product box. We recommend starting here and adjusting to taste if needed.
Electric – IRs for Electric Guitars with magnetic pickups. They are identified by the EL file tag. We recommend using the neck or middle pickup position for best results.
ES2 – IRs for Acoustic Guitars with a Taylor ES2 Pickup System. They are identified by the ES2 file tag. The IRs are optimized for all onboard EQ controls set to flat. We recommend starting here and adjusting to taste if needed.
KK – IRs for Acoustic Guitars with the KK Pure Mini Pickup. There is a dramatic difference in frequency response depending on if this pickup is adhered to the guitar with Tape or Glue. Because of this, we provide versions for both. The versions for Tape installs can be found in the ‘Tape’ folder and are identified by the KKT file tag. The versions for Glue installs can be found in the ‘Glue’ folder and are identified by the KKG file tag.
Lyric – IRs for Acoustic Guitars with an LR Baggs Lyric Pickup. They are identified by the LYR file tag. The IRs are optimized for the presence trim control set to flat (noon). We recommend starting here and adjusting to taste if needed.
Piezo – IRs for Acoustic Guitars with a Standard Piezo Pickup. They are identified by the PZ file tag. The IRs are optimized for all onboard EQ controls set to flat. We recommend starting here and adjusting to taste if needed.
Powerbridge – IRs for Electric Guitars with a Fishman Powerbridge System. They are identified by the PWR file tag.
SBT – IRs for Acoustic Guitars with a Fishman SBT Pickup. They are identified by the SBT file tag. The IRs are optimized for the industry standard placement of 1.5 inches behind the bridge and 1.5 inches below the high E string. A picture of this placement can be found in the pickup’s manual. We recommend starting here and adjusting to taste if needed.
Silent Guitar – IRs for the Yamaha Silent Guitar. They are identified by the YSG file tag. The IRs are optimized for all onboard EQ controls set to flat. We recommend starting here and adjusting to taste if needed.
Kemper Profiling Amp – Versions of the IRs in the Kemper Profiling Amp file format. Please read above for loading and optimization information of your particular guitar/pickup. To load onto your Kemper unit, place them on a blank, reformatted flash drive and plug directly into your unit, or use the ‘Presets’ folder in Rig Manager. Once the IRs are loaded, adjust the Character knob in the Cabinet section to taste.
Soundhole – IRs for Acoustic Guitars with soundhole mounted pickups. IRs for specific soundhole pickups are provided within this folder and are listed in the next manual section.
Soundhole Directory
M1 – IRs for Acoustic Guitars with an LR Baggs M1 pickup. They are identified by the M1 file tag.
M80 – IRs for Acoustic Guitars with an LR Baggs M80 pickup. They are identified by the M80 file tag.
Mag Mic – IRs for Acoustic Guitars with a Seymour Duncan Mag Mic pickup. They are identified by the SDM file tag.
NeoD H – IRs for Acoustic Guitars with a Fishman NeoD Humbucking pickup. They are identified by the NDH file tag.
NeoD S – IRs for Acoustic Guitars with a Fishman NeoD Single Coil pickup. They are identified by the NDS file tag.
Rare H – IRs for Acoustic Guitars with a Fishman Rare Earth Humbucking pickup. They are identified by the REH file tag.
Rare S – IRs for Acoustic Guitars with a Fishman Rare Earth Single Coil pickup. They are identified by the RES file tag.
Rare M – IRs for Acoustic Guitars with a Fishman Rare Earth Mic Blend pickup. They are identified by the REM file tag.
Woody H – IRs for Acoustic Guitars with a Seymour Duncan Woody Humbucking pickup. They are identified by the SDH file tag. Though we offer support for this pickup, we do not recommend it. It is very noisy/dated and we highly recommend getting the Mag Mic should you wish to stick with Seymour Duncan.
Woody S – IRs for Acoustic Guitars with a Seymour Duncan Woody Single Coil pickup. They are identified by the SDS file tag. Though we offer support for this pickup, we do not recommend it. It is very noisy/dated and we highly recommend getting the Mag Mic should you wish to stick with Seymour Duncan.
Woody X – IRs for Acoustic Guitars with a Seymour Duncan Woody XL pickup. They are identified by the SDX file tag. Though we offer support for this pickup, we do not recommend it. It is very noisy/dated and we highly recommend getting the Mag Mic should you wish to stick with Seymour Duncan.
SAMPLE RATES
Inside the IR folders listed above, there are four folders corresponding to different sample rates (44.1, 48, 88.2, 96).
For digital IR loaders, use the IRs with the sample rate that matches your session – if you’re recording at 48 kHz, use IRs found in the ‘48’ folder, etc.
For hardware IR loaders, use the IRs that match your unit’s sample rate. We have some of the most popular units’ sample rates listed in the table below. If your unit does not appear in the table, check either the unit’s manual, or the manufacturer’s website for the sample rate.
Unit
Line 6 (Helix, HX Stomp, POD Go)
Mooer (Radar, GE300)
Fractal (Axe-Fx)
Two notes (Torpedo, C.A.B. M)
HeadRush (Pedalboard, Gigboard)
IR LENGTH
Sample Rate
48 kHz 44.1 kHz
48 kHz 96 kHz 96 kHz

All of our IRs are 150ms in length. For the most realistic acoustic tone, you’ll want to load the full length of the IR.
Many units truncate the length of IRs to save on DSP (Helix, Mooer, etc.). The truncated length is still enough to vastly improve your tone and is perfect for live settings, though we recommend using the full length for studio recording.

Wow... that was well done. Off topic, I played keyboards for a Living Nativity this past weekend. I'm looking forward to getting a FM9, and running my pedal steel, mandolin and acoustic / electric guitars through it.
I would love to hear it on steel and mandolin. Hope you post some clips !

The key point to these 'Acoustic IRs' is that you supposedly get the sound of a certain guitar being mic'd (but using a PU and the IR) without having to use a 'Live Mic' and the original guitar. Have not yet seen a demo where you can compare the two in a recording. Guitar + Mic vs Same Guitar + IR (using same mic). Maybe someone here could point one out.

Back
Top Bottom