Poll - What cabs do you want?

@York Audio I've actually tried both versions, too, and I agree they're pretty different. The reissue G12-65 is something I would really LIKE to see more options for in cabs. For that Dumble thing with a little midrange snarl to it, it's hard to beat. The originals I had were way brighter, and not in a good way for that particular sound. They also didn't have as much low mid punch as the reissues.

So, as I've requested before, I would LOVE it if the Reissue G12-65s could get the York treatment!
I'm officially re-asking for this.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

Hey Justin, hope all is well. Any chance we will be seeing a fresh new YA cab pack release soon to help spread some holiday cheer! 👍

Last edited:
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

Hey Justin, hope all is well. Any chance we will be seeing a fresh new YA cab pack release soon to help spread some holiday cheer! 👍
I should have something out this month. It’s probably going to be an open back 2x12. I’ve got two combos that have had a lot of requests, but I know as soon as I mention what the second one is, I’m going to get a bunch of requests for a dual speaker 4x12, so that one will probably be released in January or February depending on how long the next couple of cabs take to finish.

Curious if you tried those Mesa Filmore's in your custom cabinets yet? Did you buy 4 of them or 2?
I haven’t tried the Fillmore in my custom cabs yet, but I need to. I bought four, but unfortunately I had them sitting on my floor and dropped a screwdriver that went right through one of the cones, so I’m down to three at the moment. Take a tip from uncle Justin and make sure you put loose speakers in boxes to avoid stupid accidents like mine.

Oh my! How do you fix that and can you? Do you have to send them back to Mesa to re-cone? Or do you have to replace the speaker entirely?
I’m not a fan of re-cones, so I’d either buy another one or put a Mesa V30 in its place if I put them in a 4x12.

I will likely be alone, and very dated, in this request. But,

2x15 Dual Showman cab with JBL E130's

There are probably better cabs. My underlying desire is for a smoother, more rounded
-- but punchy (105spl) JBL sound to add more Treble definition and solid Bass
to the very vocal, but easily-buried, G12H and G12M 55 HZ pulsonic-coned greenbacks.

I know the world has moved on. And, this is truly a quixotic request.

The big ported cab, ceramic instead of alnico, 15's instead of 12's
-- are all about rounding out and smoothing the JBL sound.
A Theile cab may make more sense.

I simply had an amazing sound, once, with a 2x12 Celestions in a Bassman cab
and 2x15 JBL E130's in a showman cab.

It could simply be a faulty sentimental memory.

I remember these two cabs together
as a very vocal, expressive and intensely present tone -- unusually so
when used with my Marshall.
Obviously, 2 together in the same amp
is not the same as each one done individually
and then added together.

The merged impedance curve may have been as important
as anything else.

I know this is dated and personal.
But, those are the specifics and that is the underlying concept.
It is very much a 60's thing -- ancient history.

But, 2x15 JBL E130's in a showman cab
might add some unique tone and dynamics to another more expressive speaker.

I play pedal steel guitar. A Dual Showman would be awesome. I hope its in the FM9 by the time my name comes up to buy one.

Sounds different from a Twin though, I've had both. And a tweed Twin, which is a whole different thing.
Did you play them through each-others' speakers? 2x12" open-backed speakers sound a lot different from 2x15" closed-back speakers. The DS Reverb is a Twin Reverb in a head cab. Just the face plates were changed. The earlier non- reverb ones lacked the reverb tubes and the one gain stage it added in the Vibrato channel. The "Double Verb Normal" channel will get you 90% of the way there, and even closer with just a touch of input pad to simulate the load of the tremolo's Intensity pot knocking off just a bit of gain....

Try a Twin wih L031 DOUBLESHOW (RW) ....

Did you play them through each-others' speakers? 2x12" open-backed speakers sound a lot different from 2x15" closed-back speakers. The DS Reverb is a Twin Reverb in a head cab. Just the face plates were changed. The earlier non- reverb ones lacked the reverb tubes and the one gain stage it added in the Vibrato channel. The "Double Verb Normal" channel will get you 90% of the way there, and even closer with just a touch of input pad to simulate the load of the tremolo's Intensity pot knocking off just a bit of gain....

Try a Twin wih L031 DOUBLESHOW (RW) ....
Yeah I wasn't saying the amps themselves were different, just the net effect of the whole rig. Didn't have them at the same time, so no, I never switched up the amp and speaker combinations.

Those big Dual Showman cabs were awesome though.

Yeah I wasn't saying the amps themselves were different, just the net effect of the whole rig. Didn't have them at the same time, so no, I never switched up the amp and speaker combinations.

Those big Dual Showman cabs were awesome though.
Yup. Terry Kath liked 'em....

I would love a cab IR with Eminence CV-75s. Either 212 or 412 would work. Maybe take the same cab you used for the $1 Mesa V30 212 and shoot it with the CV-75s, that would be great!

Back
Top Bottom