AX8 patches to FM9?

Larry Largen

Inspired
I am having to manually copy each preset from the AX8 to the new FM9. I tried Fractool but the presets came out wrong. Is there an easier way?

I am having to manually copy each preset from the AX8 to the new FM9. I tried Fractool but the presets came out wrong. Is there an easier way?
Ya man, thats the only way to do it, manually. I did a bunch of screen shots. Turned on Ax8- edit on another machine and just got them in the ball park and then tweaked them. One thing i did find is, the FM-9 does sound killer, better than my Ax8. It does take time but ya you learn your presets and the way FM9 and FM-9 edit works, etc...

I was able to convert them to AX3 with Fractool, then import the Ax3 file into FM9. It isn’t perfect and requires some tweaking, but it does work and is better than starting from scratch IMO.

Total pain in the butt but I started from scratch when I went from my AX8 to Axe III when it first came out. Going from Axe III to FM3 and now FM3 to FM9 hasn’t been too bad.

Last edited:
Convert your ax8 presets to axefx3 format using FracTool then import them with FM9edit, it's the best option
Yes, best way. I did this process when converting from my AX8 to my FM3. Then converted direct from my FM3 to FM9. One thing I noticed was I still needed to tweak them at gig volume. First gig I was comparing my FM9 presets against our other guitarist and I preferred my AX8 patches. Fired up my Atomic CLR at gig volumes and made a few adjustments and my live tone was back and better than ever.

Last edited:
I tried the AX8 to AxeFX3 then to FM9 formula. It worked better. It's not perfect so I am still making some of the presets manually. I really enjoying the new FM9 a lot though.

I ended up replicating a few of my AX8 presets using loads of screen shots and building up a block library. One of the things I'm finding is that when you use modifiers those don't seem to get saved into the block library. Which I guess makes some sense, but is sort of a pain too as I have to remake those assignments & connections etc.

I had no idea there was a way to import from AX8 to FM9. LOL, for me that ship has sailed.

Back
Top Bottom