How to best make Fractal sound like the real tube amp and AITR it is modeling?

Is there something that didn't work for you with those Celestions, @Manny Fufish?
Yeah, I ran a heavy testing period with a lot of options (many power amps as well) and @Justincase was very helpful with info on the Celestions (a cool guy to boot) and I just couldn’t get what I needed when comparing side by side with a cab.
It might be the microphone in the IR, it just didn’t get me there.

I will say I use 2 CLRs, Event Opal Monitors, even Line 6 Powercabs, and like them all for what they do, which is a loud perfect representation of a miked up cab. They’re just not the same as the Fryette LXII power into a standard guitar cab.(It’s worth mentioning that’s a real tube section into a real guitar cab so it sounds… real.)
It’s not that it’s doing any magic it’s just that it’s the real thing we try and emulate. I used to use real amps until I couldn’t tell the difference. Many of you must relate to that.

I should also mention that I used to run three different heads on top of each corresponding set of speakers running the AxeFX into the return of each. This allowed me to use the outputs of the AxeFX to choose 1)Fender amp with 2x12 fender cab, 2)Marshall amp with 4x12 Marshall cab, 3)Boogie amp (Simul-class) with a V-30 4x12 cab.
In other words I’m a bit bat-shit crazy 😜

I still use both stereo outputs of the AxeFX outputs 3 and 4 out to two stereo Fryette LXII amps so I can do real world blends using the output level and balance controls on the output blocks. There are 8 cabs in the room so a good amount of choices.
This is the same way you would blend IR’s, but in the real world it’s a treat!

I hope my crazy perspective helps.

Last edited:
@Manny Fufish Would the Fryette LXII be any different than using the Fryette PS2 as a power amp? Have you tried both?
There is a Great write up on this from Fryette on the gear page. I wish I still had it but I’m sure you can find it. I believe it was written by a guy in support, but he goes over in depth the differences between the LXII, the PS2, and the power section that he made for Synergy.
Someone had asked the same question. They are all quite different but I can’t remember the details. For what I was looking for, the LXII was perfect.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
There is a Great write up on this from Fryette on the gear page. I wish I still had it but I’m sure you can find it. I believe it was written by a guy in support, but he goes over in depth the differences between the LXII, the PS2, and the power section that he made for Synergy.
Someone had asked the same question. They are all quite different but I can’t remember the details. For what I was looking for, the LXII was perfect.

Hope it helps.
Is this it?
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...-5050-vs-fryette-ps-100.2246095/post-32365442

Just an update. I put some WGS speakers in my 1960 cab. Along with my Rocktron Velocity 300 and I can't tell the difference between my 2204 and the FM3. I'm just assuming all the rest of the FM3's amps that I love sounds just as accurate and I love them all.

I've had the Rocktron for several years and recently discovered that if you dime the Reactance knob.. It sounds just like a tube amp. That knob and the WGS speakers are what made my AITR come alive.

I've had the Rocktron for several years and recently discovered that if you dime the Reactance knob.. It sounds just like a tube amp.
Which makes sense, depending on exactly what that (I assume resonance) knob actually does.

It's kind of supposed to be like presence, so turning it up should high-pass the negative feedback circuit, at least in a tube amp. According to DSM Noisemaker, at least on the simplifier, turning it up also ends up decreasing the damping factor of the amplifier...which is one of the things that makes tube power amps different from solid state power amps....if it happens to work similarly on it.

Just an update. I put some WGS speakers in my 1960 cab. Along with my Rocktron Velocity 300 and I can't tell the difference between my 2204 and the FM3. I'm just assuming all the rest of the FM3's amps that I love sounds just as accurate and I love them all.

I've had the Rocktron for several years and recently discovered that if you dime the Reactance knob.. It sounds just like a tube amp. That knob and the WGS speakers are what made my AITR come alive.
So you didn't like the Celestions @Manny Fufish sent you?

Back
Top Bottom