FM9 Firmware Version 2.0 public beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
After losing a preset that I spent most of a day tweaking I am going to continue lugging my Axe-Fx III and FC6 to the gig. This thing is still very buggy and unreliable -- not at all suitable as a live sub for the III. "Loading an empty preset can improve the performance of Fractal-Bot?" I don't need to do that with the III, but the FM9 in its current state slows to a crawl as the CPU meter approaches 75%. Plus, the aforementioned wipeout of a day's painfully slow work on ONE PRESET... time to ask for a RA#.

"Loading an empty preset can improve the performance of Fractal-Bot?" I don't need to do that with the III
You don’t because the Axe3 is way more powerful with different processors. They are not the same product.

How did you lose a preset exactly?

hmmm... FM9-Edit froze for the umpteenth time. Quit and restart. While it was reading everything in memory again I switched to an empty preset, hoping to save 10 minutes of staring at tiny type at the bottom of the window. When it was done, the preset I switched out of was empty.

hmmm... FM9-Edit froze for the umpteenth time. Quit and restart. While it was reading everything in memory again I switched to an empty preset, hoping to save 10 minutes of staring at tiny type at the bottom of the window. When it was done, the preset I switched out of was empty.
You understand this is a beta release, right?

Did you SAVE before switching to an empty preset?

This thing is still very buggy and unreliable -- not at all suitable as a live sub for the III.
I've been using mine for several months and aside from me pushing the CPU well beyond expected, it's been totally reliable.

There are very few bugs I've seen and/or experienced and they are trivial ones. What have you seen?

The issue with the editor shouldn't impact performance as it's not intended for performance use.

After losing a preset that I spent most of a day tweaking I am going to continue lugging my Axe-Fx III and FC6 to the gig. This thing is still very buggy and unreliable -- not at all suitable as a live sub for the III. "Loading an empty preset can improve the performance of Fractal-Bot?" I don't need to do that with the III, but the FM9 in its current state slows to a crawl as the CPU meter approaches 75%. Plus, the aforementioned wipeout of a day's painfully slow work on ONE PRESET... time to ask for a RA#.
Just curious… How was your FM9 performing before you downloaded the beta FW release?

No lag in FM9 Edit on my recording desktop with Win11, current generation core i7, 64gb RAM, 4 very fast 2TB SSD"s.
So how feasible do you think it is for people to run server-spec machines just for what should be a lightweight editor. That PC's great & all but at that tier it's probably overkill + some people have narrowed it down to having the pitch block in their presets when the laggy behavior is observed.

Just curious… How was your FM9 performing before you downloaded the beta FW release?
It was better - not great but not horrible. However, when the front panel becomes extremely sluggish and Fractal-Bot repeatedly times out trying to back up a single preset, I call bullshit.

for me FM9 Edit, on windows 10, if the cpu is over 65-70% that makes a noticeable lag in the FM9 edit, while at 70% is not bad 80% really is unusable ime, i.e. click on something wait 15 to 30 seconds to see it change. Unfortunately I do not get on my hands and knees to use the units interface so I cant comment if the unit itself is slow.

It was better - not great but not horrible. However, when the front panel becomes extremely sluggish and Fractal-Bot repeatedly times out trying to back up a single preset, I call bullshit.
Have you reported this before? I haven't seen anyone else report issues with sluggish response with the hardware itself, although some cases of complete lockup (although I suspect at least some of those are due to overloading the CPU).

Again, this is a beta release - it's not guaranteed to be stable.

Not seeing any of these issues here. The FM9 and editor, although the editor has been a bit laggy, have been solid for me without any lockups.

Have you tried a different (shorter) USB cable? A different USB port on the computer? Perhaps the port on computer, or the FM9 itself is damaged and it is connecting intermittently? An email to support might be in order if you suspect the USB port on the FM9 is part of the problem.

This is beta software, so use at your own risk... What is the CPU usage on your preset? Perhaps there is a problem with the editor with high CPU presets (80% or so). Do you experience the same sluggish response when editing or saving a preset that has lower CPU usage? If the problem seems to be tied to your preset then posting it here so FAS can take a look at it would be helpful.

Part of the beta process is helping to identify problems, not just "calling BS". This does require some investigation on your part. Not everyone wants to do that so I can understand the frustration.

Last edited:

I have a III - running fractalbot on an empty preset is indeed faster. But you have to go to the empty one before you start fractalbot. You made a user error there.

Is anyone having any issues with programing the tap and hold functions to external switches? I can program a tap function, or a hold function, but if I try to program both, the hold function overrides.

I haven't had any major issues. Sometimes a block will disappear in the editor for a couple seconds but doesn't really hinder anything. I did notice I am getting a Slight gap on scenes using the same amp on them and I don't get any on my Axe-FxIII with the same preset and this is without using the editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom