Boost Scene

All really great ideas! This is giving me a lot to consider.

@spv - I like the expression pedal idea with 0-3db boost. I have a couple of fractal pedals. I might even consider a range of say 0-5db and give myself a little more flexibility to vary the boost. I never have liked trying to use a volume pedal because I have difficulty keeping the levels consistent in a given song or set. But using it just for a boost is an interesting approach. Thanks for this!

@BBN - This is another neat approach. I like the idea of adj the EQ. Thanks for sharing this also!

Last edited:
Reactions: spv
All really great ideas! This is giving me a lot to consider.

@spv - I like the expression pedal idea with 0-3db boost. I have a couple of fractal pedals. I might even consider a range of say 0-5db and give myself a little more flexibility to vary the boost. I never have liked trying to use a volume pedal because I have difficulty keeping the levels consistent is a give song or set. But using it just for a boost is an interesting approach. Thanks for this!

@BBN - This is another neat approach. I like the idea of adj the EQ. Thanks for sharing this also!
@22 frets, I find the same difficulty keeping levels constant with an unconstrained volume pedal and found the 3db range to be a convenient solution. I’ve also used it for effects mix (drier<->wetter) which is kind of cool.

Interesting, I am indeed switching channels. I couldn’t find a way to have the amp boost switch on or change the output level per scene without copying the amp to a new channel. If say I just want to have the same amps output chance between two scenes it seems like I have to do that. In mother words changing the amps output level changes it for all scenes that use that amp channel. Maybe I am missing something but this is what I am seeing. BTW I like the flat filter ides where you control the speed of the volume change, kind of like the morph on the Kemper which I use for this purpose a lot. Thanks.
Are you wanting to use the Amp block Boost feature or just increase overall level. Those are 2 different things.

I'm pretty sure the Boost allows a modifier, so you could use a switch to turn it on or off.

If it's just level, the methods mentioned already can be used.

I'm heavily using reverb und delay trails and so far - no problems.
Depends on how your scenes are set up.

Say you have a scene with a really driven tone, lots of verb, then switch to a clean one. Using the scene levels strategy, the clean one would have way higher scene level, because the amp is much quieter. That would make the verb level jump way up when you switched to that scene. Try it.

If instead you use amp output level, or a filter block with the gain turned down after the amp, scene changes won't cause those big jumps in verb level.

You can setup a Control switch and assign with momentary function to one of the three footswitches and engage either in the pream section an additional 3 db boost, or you can in crease the master volume about the desired db range. Just assign the digital switch to a desired footswitch. You can load switch layouts per preset, so no issue if you are using omg layout for fm3.

Last edited:
Depends on how your scenes are set up.

Say you have a scene with a really driven tone, lots of verb, then switch to a clean one. Using the scene levels strategy, the clean one would have way higher scene level, because the amp is much quieter. That would make the verb level jump way up when you switched to that scene. Try it.

If instead you use amp output level, or a filter block with the gain turned down after the amp, scene changes won't cause those big jumps in verb level.

My wet sounds are in general a bit louder then my dry tones.
So, I don't have those mentioned trail jumps - but I see what you mean.
About amp level: I level every amp to hit almost exactly 0db at my outs and after that, adjusting scene levels to taste.
The huge benefit is that all amps and effects are exactly the same through out my presets, and only scene level are different.
I don't have the need to tweak any amp level/controls because I know, that every "naked" block is leveled perfectly (for my needs) :)

I like this approach ^
So you don’t get any dropouts or lag switching scenes?
I get no lag when I go from Rhythm to Lead (which is an EQ boost, a Verb and a Delay)...and no lag when I go back to Rhythm. Because my Amp has not changed at all.
I get no lag when I go from Clean to Clean Boost....and back to Clean. Again, amp has not changed, just effect blocks engaging.

I do get a little bit of lag when go to/from Rhythm and Clean, because my Amp changes channel.

That being said - it's a very acceptable lag.
If the lag was bad, I would use Scene Controllers to change Amp parameters, rather than changing Amps when I go from Rhythm (dirty) to Clean.

Downside is that if affects trails of time-based effects like reverb and delay.
In most cases I'd rather it didn't, just let those trails die out normally.
I kind of found that myself. It seemed like the natural thing to do, but something sounded unnatural about it; like everything got bigger (which makes sense).

I get no lag when I go from Rhythm to Lead (which is an EQ boost, a Verb and a Delay)...and no lag when I go back to Rhythm. Because my Amp has not changed at all.
I get no lag when I go from Clean to Clean Boost....and back to Clean. Again, amp has not changed, just effect blocks engaging.

I do get a little bit of lag when go to/from Rhythm and Clean, because my Amp changes channel.

That being said - it's a very acceptable lag.
If the lag was bad, I would use Scene Controllers to change Amp parameters, rather than changing Amps when I go from Rhythm (dirty) to Clean.
You get lag or an audio gap? I would expect the latter...

Another option is to assign the filter block or eq block bypass to switch on per preset basis. I rarely use all 8 scenes on a preset, so my two favorite presets to bottom right switch is a simple boost at the end of the chain (just before reverb and delay) so the trails stay consistent. I also have a dedicated solo scene, which brings the filter block on, with a drive before the amp, and a delay block. I like the option of a stand alone (volume) boost at the ready.

Please accept my appologies if this has been suggestet earlier but you can also assign the Bypass of multiple blocks to a Control Switch (e.g. CS1). By doing this you can turn multiple blocks on and off with one footswitch. This is very handy if you for your lead tone want e.g. Delay, Reverb, Filter (or EQ) with a slight mid-boost, an EQ before the Amp block to boost the mids into the amp (or use the EQ in the amp block), Compressor and what not to be engaged simultaneously. Which Blocks to be controlled by the CS can be different from preset to preset.

It would have been very nice to also be able to use a CS to switch Channels in Blocks but as far as I have found (and tested) this is currently not possible.

Back
Top Bottom