Boost Scene

22 frets

Experienced
How do I create an on-off 3db boost scene like an effects boost block with one foot switch.

Last edited:
How do I create an on-off 3db boost scene like a effects boost block with one foot switch.
Add a null filter block set for +3dB output, and switch it on when boost is wanted.

Alternatively, leave it on all the time and set up a modfier on level to bump it up 3dB. Slight difference here is you can adjust the in/out time via the attack and release settings in the modifier pane to get smooooooove....

Add a null filter block set for +3dB output, and switch it on when boost is wanted.
Thanks Joe, I thought about that, but don’t I need to have a boost scene for each of the other scenes in the preset. For example if I have Clean, Crunch & Rhythm scenes and want to be able to boost each independently, don’t I need a Clean, Crunch and Rhythm boost scene? I want to switch the boost on and off regardless of which scene I am using but do it with one switch. Similar to how you would do it in the effects layout with a null filter block. I hope that makes sense.
Alternatively, leave it on all the time and set up a modfier on level to bump it up 3dB. Slight difference here is you can adjust the in/out time via the attack and release settings in the modifier pane to get smooooooove....

I‘ll have to think about this approach. I’ve not wrapped my head around modifiers yet. Thanks for your suggestions. 👍

Also consider using the boost already built into the amp block.
That boosts the input signal into the preamp of the block, normally increasing distortion without a volume increase. The only way you'll get a volume increase is if the preamp is running extremely clean.

From page 11 of the Blocks Guide:
Input Boost, Boost Type, Boost Level – The acts as a “clean boost,” replicating the common technique of driving an amp harder by using a drive pedal with the “Drive” knob at 0 and the “Level” turned up. To use the boost, turn the switch on, choose the boost type (types are based on real pedals, each with its own EQ/color) and set the Boost Level as desired. The Boost switch can be operated with a Modifier. These controls provide a way to give an amp model more gain without the CPU overhead of adding a drive block.

That boosts the input signal into the preamp of the block, normally increasing distortion without a volume increase. The only way you'll get a volume increase is if the preamp is running extremely clean.

From page 11 of the Blocks Guide:
Yes I certainly understand that. I guess the original post was not very clear on looking for a straight 3db of level or signal boost. I assumed signal boost. :confused:

Yes I certainly understand that. I guess the original post was not very clear on looking for a straight 3db of level or signal boost. I assumed signal boost. :confused:
My fault AMD. I should have been clearer. What I am looking for is to recreate with a scene foot switch, my old Pigtronics Passive Boost pedal to provide louder output to cut through the mix. Do not want to change the tone, break up, etc. Just make it louder.

I know how to do it on the effects layout using a null filter which basically functions the same as the boost pedal. But I do not want to have to first jump from the scene layout to the effects layout so I can turn the filer block on and off. I guess what I am trying to do is create a scene that functions like an effects null filter. Can’t wrap my head around how to do that other than duplicating every scene oh the preset with an equivalent boost on scene. I guess I can just continue to jump into the effects layout and control the null filter block from there as an effect.

Thanks Joe, I thought about that, but don’t I need to have a boost scene for each of the other scenes in the preset. For example if I have Clean, Crunch & Rhythm scenes and want to be able to boost each independently, don’t I need a Clean, Crunch and Rhythm boost scene?
Use the Null Filter and assign a switch to turn it on. Use it in whatever scene when you need to boost.

If you want the boost to stay engaged when you change scenes then use a Control Switch assigned to the block Bypass.

You could use 6 scenes
1, 2 and 3 for your clean, crunch and rhythm and 4,5 and 6 for Clean crunch and rhythm boosted.
For the boosted scenes you could use any of the ideas mentioned above - although the null filter should not color the original tone.
Hope this helps

I'm using scene levels for this purpose (out 1 and out 2 block).
My loudest scene is at 0db and all other scenes are below that (-1, -2 ... and so on).
Advantage of this: You can be sure that nothing will clip or whatever because your loudest (boosted) scene is at 0 :)

Use the Null Filter and assign a switch to turn it on. Use it in whatever scene when you need to boost.

If you want the boost to stay engaged when you change scenes then use a Control Switch assigned to the block Bypass.
Thanks unix-guy. This sounds like the best option for my application. I think I will be doing my homework on switches and control switches for the next couple of days. Cheers! 🙂

My loudest scene is at 0db and all other scenes are below that (-1, -2 ... and so on).
Advantage of this: You can be sure that nothing will clip or whatever because your loudest (boosted) scene is at 0 :)

Thanks MrPond. Interesting approach. May try and incorporate this into my solution.

Downside is that if affects trails of time-based effects like reverb and delay.
In most cases I'd rather it didn't, just let those trails die out normally.

Unless you're changing amp channels you shouldn't have any gap.
Interesting, I am indeed switching channels. I couldn’t find a way to have the amp boost switch on or change the output level per scene without copying the amp to a new channel. If say I just want to have the same amps output chance between two scenes it seems like I have to do that. In mother words changing the amps output level changes it for all scenes that use that amp channel. Maybe I am missing something but this is what I am seeing. BTW I like the flat filter ides where you control the speed of the volume change, kind of like the morph on the Kemper which I use for this purpose a lot. Thanks.

I have used two approaches to accomplish this:

1. Attach a modifier (I’ve used a pedal) to adjust the level within a 3db band, so you can push it forward and get an extra 3 db. This has the advantage of being able to work across all scenes without a lot of ”preset complexity”
2. Use the scene toggle function on the fc6/12 to create a secondary scene with boosted output. This requires more programming, but gives you more flexibility to build solo and boost capability across a set of scenes while minimizing the number of switches required to make it happen.

I use an EQ block for this (I use a boost for solos).
EQ block gives me the ability to boost the volume, but I'll also add some mids to cut through the mix (nothing drastic...just a little goes a long way)

My FM3 is set up like this:
Button 1 - press once: Scene 1 (rhythm)
Button 1 - press again: Scene 2 (lead....which is rhythm with a boost)
Button 2 - press once: Scene 3 (clean)
Button 2 - press again: Scent 4 (clean with a boost)

by using the EQ for the boost, I have zero gap

Back
Top Bottom