Wish FM9 Wishlist

Put it on a Temple Duo 24 :)
I have mine on a Duo 24, that previously was home for my FM3+FC6.
IMG_1007.png

Without the headphone cable and USB plugged in it's an extremely clean back panel with all low-profile connectors.

I'm using Dual-Lock (the heavy-duty version) to attach the units, either the FM9 or the FM3+FC6, to the board. (Put the tape inside the feet on the units, and the mating side in the appropriate spots on the Duo 24.) The Dual-Lock connection is strong enough that I can pick up the FM9+Duo 24 by the FM9 and shake it and it won't come loose, but that's not necessary with the handles on the board itself.

I did this because I want to be able to pull the FM9 from the Duo 24 and stick it in the FM9 gig bag with as much ease as I can the FM3+FC6 in its bag when we travel. Flexibility is good.

In lieu of an official wishlist thread, I do have a display related request myself.

It would be helpful if when you are banking up and down through preset groups, that the display would follow the the range of presets you are banking through.

While you can see truncated preset names in the scribble strips, it would be nice to see what the adjacent presets are.

The AX8 did something very similar and it helped me a lot when my memory wasn't great and I couldn't remember where I put a particular preset while searching for something on stage with my foot.

Last edited:
I don't see a wishlist yet but I can see one thing right away that will be a problem for me. Coming from the FM3 with an FC 6, my eyes are always drawn to the screen of the FC6 at a gig when I want to see what patch I'm on, due to the larger type and ease of finding it without having to squint or bend over.

Surely there's a way to provide an option for a larger typeface Patch number and Patch Name Banner across the 9s screeen for those of us with less than perfect vision. At least double what it is now, if not 250 or 300%. The current type on the FM3 unit is basically unreadable when I'm standing at a gig.
Actually, on an open stage and on a sunny day, you can´t see sh*t on the Fm3 screen.

In lieu of an official wishlist thread, I do have a display related request myself.

It would be helpful if when you are banking up and down through preset groups, that the display would follow the the range of presets you are banking through.

While you can see truncated preset names in the scribble strips, it would be nice to see what the adjacent presets are.

The AX8 did something very similar and it helped me a lot when my memory wasn't great and I couldn't remember where I put a particular preset while searching for something on stage with my foot.
It would make your request more visible if you created a new thread.

But similar threads exist already for the FM3, and if implemented, would be ported to the FM9.

Last edited:
These kinds of threads reminds me of those stellar Gear Page threads where guys are
asking for pickup recommendations on a guitar that they have not received yet, heard yet,
or played yet.

But I am the odd the one. ;)
Not at all. You don't need your ears to see that the screen is too small to be able to read it standing upright. And to see that, you don't need the actual piece of gear. You see that on the pictures.

Here are my wishes:
1. Would loooove if some blocks could be set to ignore scene changes (or vise versa)
2. Tuner on Heel down (or maybe tuner in general?): would like the tuning screen to disappear and go back to where it was before when you stomp on another button
3. Ability to program one footswitch to engage/bypass/change channels on multiple blocks with a single press
4. metronome: would like the metronome volume to persist across power cycles. Would also love if i could get metronome only out of the headphone out, but I realize the HP out is a mirror of out1, probably not possible if that's in the hardware.
5. the little bubbles that pop up and display what effect you changed/bypassed on the LCD screen: would like them to persist slightly longer.

:)

Tuner on Heel down (or maybe tuner in general?): would like the tuning screen to disappear and go back to where it was before when you stomp on another button

Tuner on Heel down (or maybe tuner in general?): would like the tuning screen to disappear and get back to where it once belonged when you stomp on another button

There, fixed it for ya....

+1
the little bubbles that pop up and display what effect you changed/bypassed on the LCD screen: would like them to persist slightly longer.
+1 on this as well. On the AxeFX3 settings for the FCs, there is a setting for time duration of the pop up message. Might also exist in this unit. Haven't set up an FC with it yet. Perhaps if it also exists here, it could work for these pop ups, too?

Last edited:
I just ordered my FM9 this morning and I am already disappointed.
I wish that we could use the big encoder knob to play pong or even use the other knobs that you can press down as fire buttons so we can also play space invaders and the Nav buttons to play Pac Man!

This would be great for boredom in between sets, might even be able to charge a quarter to play and have the FM9 pay itself off in less than three years!

Why didn't Fractal think of this beforehand? Maybe FM9 Mk3 will have this feature?

I just ordered my FM9 this morning and I am already disappointed.
I wish that we could use the big encoder knob to play pong or even use the other knobs that you can press down as fire buttons so we can also play space invaders and the Nav buttons to play Pac Man!

This would be great for boredom in between sets, might even be able to charge a quarter to play and have the FM9 pay itself off in less than three years!

Why didn't Fractal think of this beforehand? Maybe FM9 Mk3 will have this feature?

If you know pong and miss it someone in your nursing home forgot about to give you your daily set of pills.

Last edited:
Not exactly an FM9 request but I'd like an in-line format of the FC6 to put in front of the FM9. Basically, just a strip.

Just got my FM9 yesterday and reports are not exaggerated, you have to have eagle eyes to read ANYTHING on this unit while standing.
Please please make a performance mode where all we see in that big color screen is the patch name and number. Right now I look down and see a little yellow blob way up in the corner of that big color screen, lots of wasted real estate. I envision a mode where the whole screen is just the name and number, then as soon as you touch any control it reverts back to the screen we currently have for editing.
And it would be nice to rescale the text and invert the scribble strips. I can't read those either.

Just got my FM9 yesterday and reports are not exaggerated, you have to have eagle eyes to read ANYTHING on this unit while standing.
This is very dependent on the person, I think.

This discussion has already played out numerous times in the FC and the FM3 realms.

There's always comments going both ways.

I'm just shy of 6 feet tall and wear reading glasses for reading and using the computer but I have no issues with the LCDs or the screen.

I agree that there is room for improvement, though. Inversion of the mini LCDs would be welcome. I think there's a high likelihood that a "performance" view for the main screen is forthcoming based on a recent post by Matt.

I know that this is unorthodox but, I would like the ability to pull up the tuner, muted, with the push of a button (for between songs), and another button to bring up tuner, unmuted, for during songs. Not a problem in my metal band since I only use Evertune guitars, but I need it in my acoustic band. Using a 1949 Gypsy Jazz guitar... Thanks in advance.

This is very dependent on the person, I think.

This discussion has already played out numerous times in the FC and the FM3 realms.

There's always comments going both ways.

I'm just shy of 6 feet tall and wear reading glasses for reading and using the computer but I have no issues with the LCDs or the screen.

I agree that there is room for improvement, though. Inversion of the mini LCDs would be welcome. I think there's a high likelihood that a "performance" view for the main screen is forthcoming based on a recent post by Matt.
I'm 6'3", so I'm not exactly close to it. But I've been using a ground control pro for over ten years and I can read my patch names upside down from across the room on that thing. You'd basically be flying blind on stage as is.
Outside a possible fault it might have (or some setting is goofed I haven't found yet), it does sound phenomenal.

I'm 6'3", so I'm not exactly close to it. But I've been using a ground control pro for over ten years and I can read my patch names upside down from across the room on that thing. You'd basically be flying blind on stage as is.
Outside a possible fault it might have (or some setting is goofed I haven't found yet), it does sound phenomenal.
Yes, the display on the GCP and original Ground Control is large and easy to read. I've had both and still have 2 original Ground Control units (I prefer them over the GCP).

However, I don't think that's really a fair comparison except for the preset name part because that's the only thing the GCP can show.

But it's also not smart - it shows the name you tell it and doesn't automatically update based on where you go ;)

Again, I'm not disagreeing that improvements would be nice...

I'm betting the Performance view on the main screen will be the answer to your needs when it gets implemented.

Back
Top Bottom