Beatles Get Back

My 15 year old son begged me NOT to watch it with him. Hmmmmm......

One of my favourite things in the entirety of the series are those brand new Fender Silverface amps. Sexy!!! :)
Given the timeframe, location, and the grille border trim, they may well be the AC568 circuit, which has a number of "interesting" changes made by CBS engineers to "improve" the amps, such as the funky hybrid fixed/cathode bias with individual 150 ohm resistors per 6L6 and nonpolarized electrolytic caps tying them together, but just for the AC portion of the signal above a certain frequency, and a number of other things, a fair number of which got rolled back in the 1969 amps. Not sure if these AC568s were the beginning of the plastic-insulated stranded wire that could not be run under the circuit board and were usually poorly dressed, which necessitated snubber caps to squelch oscillation, but the crap wire and snubber caps mostly stayed after the 1969 circuit update....

Given the timeframe, location, and the grille border trim, they may well be the AC568 circuit, which has a number of "interesting" changes made by CBS engineers to "improve" the amps, such as the funky hybrid fixed/cathode bias with individual 150 ohm resistors per 6L6 and nonpolarized electrolytic caps tying them together, but just for the AC portion of the signal above a certain frequency, and a number of other things, a fair number of which got rolled back in the 1969 amps. Not sure if these AC568s were the beginning of the plastic-insulated stranded wire that could not be run under the circuit board and were usually poorly dressed, which necessitated snubber caps to squelch oscillation, but the crap wire and snubber caps mostly stayed after the 1969 circuit update....
You know some history dude :)
Misspent youth?

I'm a Beatles fan having kind of grown up with them in the late 60s, however, even though I'm also a music documentary addict, I'm not that keen on watching 6+ hours of Beatles studio hijinx. Could they not have boiled it down to a mere 3hours of bestbits and release a separate extended version?

I read that it was originally supposed to be a 2 hour made for the cinema project and then
Peter Jackson talked Disney into the 3 2 hour episode format. He felt the material warranted
that much footage. I guess there was 50 something hours they found in the vault.

"Eventually, in preparation for Let It Be’s 50th anniversary, most of this material was collected together. In 2017, Apple recruited the New Zealand-based director Peter Jackson – the creator of the six film versions of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, as well as the documentary They Shall Not Grow Old, built from restored footage of the first world war – to cut a new feature-length film. As it eventually turned out, the pandemic made a normal theatrical release impossible, and opened up the possibility of something even more ambitious. Jackson ended up creating three two-hour documentaries, which will premiere at the end of November on the streaming platform Disney+."

Enjoying the series. Side note: John Lennon is maybe the biggest Simp in music history. Bill Burr does a good rant about this when Lennon played with his hero Chuck Berry.

I’m about an hour into the Get Back thing on Disney+ and it’s just… everything. Being a fly on the wall and watching the creative process is so cool. As a lifelong Beatles fan it’s almost overwhelming.

As brilliant as they are it’s also cool to see how they are like any band. John Lennon doodles constantly on his guitar and we’ve all had a guy in the band like that (and if you don’t know who that guys is, it’s you!). They distract themselves a lot breaking into other songs.

The dynamics are fascinating as well. George has become more creative but John and Paul still treat him like a little brother. They should have let him in more! Paul has lots of ideas about arrangement and they usually are spot on but annoy the others. You can see Paul taking charge because he has a vision but also because no one else will step up.

Highly recommend this!
Such a great show!! The Rooftop Concert on my Home Theater sounded outstanding. Paul is shown to be the leader and best musician in the group I always knew him to be. My wife was actually sad/happy after watching it. Sad because so many are no longer with us (John, George, Linda, and George Martin), and happy that we got to see them in happier times, even though a year later they were broken up. Anyone have or can recommend a preset that would capture I've Got A Feeling for John or George's guitar on that one?

Such a great show!! The Rooftop Concert on my Home Theater sounded outstanding. Paul is shown to be the leader and best musician in the group I always knew him to be. My wife was actually sad/happy after watching it. Sad because so many are no longer with us (John, George, Linda, and George Martin), and happy that we got to see them in happier times, even though a year later they were broken up. Anyone have or can recommend a preset that would capture I've Got A Feeling for John or George's guitar on that one?

They were using Fender amps at the time so I would think a Twin would work well.

Big Beatles fan, but we don't have Disney+. Not sure if we want another premium channel, and there's stuff on HBO Max I'm interested in too. First world...
Subscribe for one month. $15. Then unsubscribe for the next month. Of course the Blu Rays will be out in a couple of months, probably an expanded edition. They left out the Long and Winding Road (Naked) performance by Paul, and the Two Of Us video. Hopefully, they will be on the expanded edition.

When they're writing lyrics but just haven't gotten it right yet, you want to jump in to the scene and say "NO, >THIS< IS HOW IT IS SUPPOSED TO GO!!!"
Hah. Twenty twenty hindsight is always great. I kept saying "Attracts me like no other lover" when George was trying to complete the lyric, and John kep saying "cauliflower". Haha. Great stuff!!

I’m about an hour into the Get Back thing on Disney+ and it’s just… everything. Being a fly on the wall and watching the creative process is so cool. As a lifelong Beatles fan it’s almost overwhelming.

As brilliant as they are it’s also cool to see how they are like any band. John Lennon doodles constantly on his guitar and we’ve all had a guy in the band like that (and if you don’t know who that guys is, it’s you!). They distract themselves a lot breaking into other songs.

The dynamics are fascinating as well. George has become more creative but John and Paul still treat him like a little brother. They should have let him in more! Paul has lots of ideas about arrangement and they usually are spot on but annoy the others. You can see Paul taking charge because he has a vision but also because no one else will step up.

Highly recommend this!
In retrospect, George wrote some of my favorite Beatle songs going way back. "If I Needed Someone", Old Brown Shoe" (very underrated), "Taxman", "I Me Mine", and on and on. George was also very intelligent, and had quite a wit. Watch the Dave Cavett interview on You Tube.

Subscribe for one month. $15. Then unsubscribe for the next month. Of course the Blu Rays will be out in a couple of months, probably an expanded edition. They left out the Long and Winding Road (Naked) performance by Paul, and the Two Of Us video. Hopefully, they will be on the expanded edition.

$7.99 if you only sign up for Disney + and not the bundle.

Back
Top Bottom