Assistance recreating this plugin: Archetype Tim Henson

I downloaded the trial of his Neural plugin, giving me two weeks to recreate this with my AxeIII. I figured while I'm doing this I'd ask the community here what you think would be a good starting point for the amp and cab. I'm starting with some of the Orange amp models, but I'd love some additional input.

Linked is a quick demo of his base "clean" amp. Very EoB. I'm playing some simple chords to try to give you an easy idea of the tone.

Side note: The Archetype plugin sounds great, but it just feels so lifeless compared to the FAS products. Zero room for any dynamics in your playing when using this plugin. Notes just fade away if you're not picking with at least 80% strength.

Honestly doesn't sound like anything new or special to me - there are tons of factory presets for similar tones in the Axe, just pick the one that sounds closest to you and tweak it to your liking :)

Honestly doesn't sound like anything new or special to me - there are tons of factory presets for similar tones in the Axe, just pick the one that sounds closest to you and tweak it to your liking :)
For sure. I've made a hundred different EoB presets, I was just curious what everyone here would pitch given that little demo 👍

For sure. I've made a hundred different EoB presets, I was just curious what everyone here would pitch given that little demo 👍
Yeah, okay, that makes sense. If you like the tones you're getting with the Voxes you should also try the Matchless models.. they're ultra high-end Vox territory :) also the Morgan AC20. But don't rule out the Dumble (original and clones) either :)

Yeah, okay, that makes sense. If you like the tones you're getting with the Voxes you should also try the Matchless models.. they're ultra high-end Vox territory :) also the Morgan AC20. But don't rule out the Dumble (original and clones) either :)
What a coincidence-- I was just checking back in to say that I ended up going with the Matchless model and a G12 2x12 cab. It's perfect for this

Side note: The Archetype plugin sounds great, but it just feels so lifeless compared to the FAS products. Zero room for any dynamics in your playing when using this plugin. Notes just fade away if you're not picking with at least 80% strength.

To be fair, at $ half price the plugin does sound pretty good (add some verb) for its cost versus the Axe-FX III. As always YMMV.

I downloaded the trial of his Neural plugin, giving me two weeks to recreate this with my AxeIII. I figured while I'm doing this I'd ask the community here what you think would be a good starting point for the amp and cab. I'm starting with some of the Orange amp models, but I'd love some additional input.

Linked is a quick demo of his base "clean" amp. Very EoB. I'm playing some simple chords to try to give you an easy idea of the tone.

Tim hension used a axe fx 2 for aslong as i can remember , even before the plugin was planned. G.O.A.T. was recorded on modified stock preset on the two based on Boutique. preset. and boutique is actually matchless chieftain

Matchless chieftain is the amp that will solve your problems, and vox ac30 prolly. But the chieftain is better for it.

One of the amps on the plugin too is a model of the chieftain.

These cabs go very well with it

026 — 2x12 BOUTIQUE (RW) — Matchless 2x12 with a G12H and G12M
030 — 2x12 BOUTIQUE R121 — Matchless 2x12 with Royer 121 mic, UltraRes (Cab Pack 10). Before firmware 18: 2×12 Boutique
117 — 2x12 BOUTIQUE MIX — 2x12 Matchless (from wiki)

Last edited:
Yeah, for anything Polyphia the go-to for me is the 4 spot (middle and neck) on a strat with the Boutique preset, usually boutique 2. Add a little treble based on your pickups and make sure the compressor is on and you’re good to go. If you need a little help nailing all of the hammer-ons from nowhere and taps that Henson does, throw in a light chorus later in the chain and mix in some of the dry tone so it’s not too pronounced.

Tim hension used a axe fx 2 for aslong as i can remember , even before the plugin was planned. G.O.A.T. was recorded on modified stock preset on the two based on Boutique. preset. and boutique is actually matchless chieftain

Matchless chieftain is the amp that will solve your problems, and vox ac30 prolly. But the chieftain is better for it.

One of the amps on the plugin too is a model of the chieftain.

These cabs go very well with it

026 — 2x12 BOUTIQUE (RW) — Matchless 2x12 with a G12H and G12M
030 — 2x12 BOUTIQUE R121 — Matchless 2x12 with Royer 121 mic, UltraRes (Cab Pack 10). Before firmware 18: 2×12 Boutique
117 — 2x12 BOUTIQUE MIX — 2x12 Matchless (from wiki)

Killer info. Thanks a ton

Back
Top Bottom