Axe-Fx Firmware Release Version 18.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the change or improvements you feel? I use virtual capo on 99% of my presets. Yet i couldnt really tell noticeable difference i mean it was already great for me
Yeah - great for me too but today I dropped a half step and was messing around with Would by Alice In Chains and I just feel like everything sounded tighter - especially that last chord. I didn’t feel like my guitar was tuned down artificially. Maybe its that too - I only use it occasionally. Regardless though, when I was playing it just seemed to stick out to me that I liked it better. :)

Can somebody that's knowledgeable about the compressor types tell me the most prevalent compressor names associated with each type?

I know that the wiki lists some models like the Altec units for tube compression or the MXR pedals for dynacomp but the list is vague when it comes to many of the other types.

Is there a VCA type compressor as of now akin to the DBX 160 or SSL G Bus compressor? Maybe the analog compressor? What about an API 2500? Is that covered by the feedforward types?

Direct monitoring has been there going back to at least the Axe Fx II...
Really? I’ve been trying to direct monitor through Cubase and it never allows me. The “direct monitoring” button is always grayed out on my DAW. I even reached out to Fractal Support and they were the ones that told me it would be available on 17.03…

Direct monitoring means you are monitoring the output of the device you are recording directly and not through the DAW's software engine. If your monitors are plugged into the Axe FX, you are direct monitoring its output by default. No settings are required for this.
Hmm. I guess this is still a little confusing to me as I’m new with this. So does that mean I can turn off input monitoring when I’m using the Axe Fx as my interface and not experience any latency?

Cannot WAIT to try the new impedance curves in the amp block. Total game-changer. Glad I don't have any presets I am super attached to yet.

Also fixing the Turbo issue is chef's kiss

Thanks again, FAS!

Hmm. I guess this is still a little confusing to me as I’m new with this. So does that mean I can turn off input monitoring when I’m using the Axe Fx as my interface and not experience any latency?
Yes. You'll hear the Axe III's direct output just like if your DAW isn't even connected. The only latency you get that way is the A/D and D/A conversion and internal processing latency, which is around 2 ms total.

The only time you want to use software monitoring is if you are trying to monitor the input with real time effects from your DAW. In that case you want to use the new mute option for Output 1 in the I/O menu so you hear only the software monitoring. If you try to use direct and software monitoring at the same time, you'll get phasing and/or echo depending on your buffer size settings

There's nothing mentioned in the Release Notes so probably a solid assumption.

But why ask with no other details? Are you experiencing something that makes you question it?
No .... not at all :) Just curious. I think the Speaker Compression at the moment is brilliant. I was just wondering if it had been tweaked to be even "more better" as part of the overall compression improvements.

Thanks,
Ben

Direct monitoring means you are monitoring the output of the device you are recording directly and not through the DAW's software engine. If your monitors are plugged into the Axe FX, you are direct monitoring its output by default. No settings are required for this.
From what I can see he's talking about the 'direct monitoring' option in the audio setup in Cubase. This is an option in Cubase that tells the DAW to not monitor incoming audio at all but to give monitoring control over to Cubase, and AFAIK the driver has to tell Cubase that this option should be available.

Effectively it would be an option to enable/disable monitoring on your hardware from the DAW, without having to press any buttons or turn on any modes in the hardware. It will also allow you to meter the signals without the audio passing through the DAW. It's very useful for some audio interfaces, but on the Axe you just put the right output into your patch and job done... so it may not be required.

Nonetheless, it is a real feature of the ASIO protocol.
https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_a...rding/recording_asio_direct_monitoring_t.html

Can somebody that's knowledgeable about the compressor types tell me the most prevalent compressor names associated with each type?

I know that the wiki lists some models like the Altec units for tube compression or the MXR pedals for dynacomp but the list is vague when it comes to many of the other types.

Is there a VCA type compressor as of now akin to the DBX 160 or SSL G Bus compressor? Maybe the analog compressor? What about an API 2500? Is that covered by the feedforward types?

The blocks guide covers it really.

From what I can see he's talking about the 'direct monitoring' option in the audio setup in Cubase. This is an option in Cubase that tells the DAW to not monitor incoming audio at all but to give monitoring control over to Cubase, and AFAIK the driver has to tell Cubase that this option should be available.

Effectively it would be an option to enable/disable monitoring on your hardware from the DAW, without having to press any buttons or turn on any modes in the hardware. It will also allow you to meter the signals without the audio passing through the DAW. It's very useful for some audio interfaces, but on the Axe you just put the right output into your patch and job done... so it may not be required.

Nonetheless, it is a real feature of the ASIO protocol.
https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_a...rding/recording_asio_direct_monitoring_t.html
Yup Monitoring Fx is what it is on Reaper what i use same application.
No changes/calibration effects are rendered when you export, but you can hear them .

Works a charm for calibration or corrections, and not hearing the axe direct output

Hello... What setting is null? I play my FM3 through a Mesa Boogie 50/50 power amp and a couple of cabs. Sounds awesome. Curious to try this but do not see a "Null" selection from the drop down on my AxeFXiii or FM3.. Are you turning something down? Thanks in advance.

Hello... What setting is null? I play my FM3 through a Mesa Boogie 50/50 power amp and a couple of cabs. Sounds awesome. Curious to try this but do not see a "Null" selection from the drop down on my AxeFXiii or FM3.. Are you turning something down? Thanks in advance.
@MNG - this was meant for you. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom