Buzzing Noise

OBeardedOne

Hi all,

So I turned on my Ultra recently and it was buzzing quite significantly like there was AC interference and didn't go away so I decided to do some troubleshooting -

Tried swapping guitars, no difference
Changed cables, no difference
Tried taking it out of the rack it's in and to a different power supply/power ring, no difference
When I put it back in the rack, the noise changed to more of a hum!

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this issue before?

It's also worth noting that it happens whenever I turn the guitar volume up and no matter what guitar I use, it's still the same

Hi all,

So I turned on my Ultra recently and it was buzzing quite significantly like there was AC interference and didn't go away so I decided to do some troubleshooting -

Tried swapping guitars, no difference
Changed cables, no difference
Tried taking it out of the rack it's in and to a different power supply/power ring, no difference
When I put it back in the rack, the noise changed to more of a hum!

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this issue before?

It's also worth noting that it happens whenever I turn the guitar volume up and no matter what guitar I use, it's still the same
Hi there,

I think I have the same issue when I turned on my Ultra. After about two minutes the buzzing stops. It's maybe a cooling fan or something? I don't know. Hope somebody help us out.

If it only happens when you turn your guitar volume up I would be more on something introducing electronic interference with your pickups in the guitars. Do you have the option to try it in a different room? Make sure you cell phone isn't setting near the Ultra, your guitar or your cables.

EDIT: This is assuming that he noise is coming out of your speakers. If it is from the Ultra I would bet more on an internal fan. I can't remember if they had a fan in them.

If it only happens when you turn your guitar volume up I would be more on something introducing electronic interference with your pickups in the guitars. Do you have the option to try it in a different room? Make sure you cell phone isn't setting near the Ultra, your guitar or your cables.

EDIT: This is assuming that he noise is coming out of your speakers. If it is from the Ultra I would bet more on an internal fan. I can't remember if they had a fan in them.
Both the Axe-Fx Standard and Ultra have a cooling fan inside the case. My Axe-Fx Standard was supplied by G66 back in about 2009, where they used to replace the stock cooling fan (which was a little noisy) for a quiet fan.

Both the Axe-Fx Standard and Ultra have a cooling fan inside the case. My Axe-Fx Standard was supplied by G66 back in about 2009, where they used to replace the stock cooling fan (which was a little noisy) for a quiet fan.
Yes, it certainly is an internal fan in my Ultra. The humming stops after about two minutes, when I turn on the Ultra. The unit works fine, but I have to be sure if the Ultra not have a thermal protection, when the unit get's overheated caused by a broken cooling fan? Or should I contact the technical support G66? Thank you any way for your answer.

I still have my Ultra but haven't turned it on in ages. I don't ever remember hearing a fan in mine so maybe I got lucky and got one that doesn't make noise. I have had mine since 2010.

Yes, it certainly is an internal fan in my Ultra. The humming stops after about two minutes, when I turn on the Ultra. The unit works fine, but I have to be sure if the Ultra not have a thermal protection, when the unit get's overheated caused by a broken cooling fan? Or should I contact the technical support G66? Thank you any way for your answer.

If it goes away it is very possible that it is the fan. I would think that the sound of the unit would start to degrade if it started to overheat.

I did try it in a different room and it made the same noise, just a little less of it (I have a desktop PC in my room and the other room didn't have anything like that in it). And this happened with multiple guitars so I deduced that it wasn't the guitars but it might've been electrical interference.

In saying this, I've tried it on multiple days and with the same conditions, it has either gotten worse or stopped which is really odd? I'm also going to have a look to see if the fan actually works as I've never seen it come on as I never have it open when it's on!

Thank you all for your suggestions and talking into this matter! I'll try and update this thread with any findings I get!

I still have my Ultra but haven't turned it on in ages. I don't ever remember hearing a fan in mine so maybe I got lucky and got one that doesn't make noise. I have had mine since 2010.

If it goes away it is very possible that it is the fan. I would think that the sound of the unit would start to degrade if it started to overheat.
So, I don't have to worry about this. Thank you for your reply Jason!

Back
Top Bottom