Rolling Stones- shady band security, never again.

this experience has nothing to do with the Stones
Here's my take: It absolutely does have everything to do with RS - they are a business with emolyees, contractors and managers to manage them. If an emolyee or contractor working directly for RS is ripping off the customers, RS management will want/need to do something about it, and if RS management does nothing about it, the business owners (Mick and Keef) may want to do something about it depending on the magnitude, or might regret not doing something about it if the wrong person gets ripped off in the wrong way and it goes viral. Of course Mick and Keef had no clue about the specific situation as it transpired, just as no business owner has a clue about such shit UNTIL that shit bubbles up to their level somehow and then: heads can roll, and the business owner likely then asks management why they were not aware of it and why they did not inform him/her at the weekly status call.

Paying 500$ for any band is a crime on it's own.

In capitalist countries this is called wild success - the buyer got what they wanted for an amount they were eager to pay - the seller got rich.

Here's my take: It absolutely does have everything to do with RS - they are a business with emolyees, contractors and managers to manage them. If an emolyee or contractor working directly for RS is ripping off the customers, RS management will want/need to do something about it, and if RS management does nothing about it, the business owners (Mick and Keef) may want to do something about it depending on the magnitude, or might regret not doing something about it if the wrong person gets ripped off in the wrong way and it goes viral. Of course Mick and Keef had no clue about the specific situation as it transpired, just as no business owner has a clue about such shit UNTIL that shit bubbles up to their level somehow and then: heads can roll, and the business owner likely then asks management why they were not aware of it and why they did not inform him/her at the weekly status call.

In capitalist countries this is called wild success - the buyer got what they wanted for an amount they were eager to pay - the seller got rich.

I like the thought of Keef on a weekly management call inquiring about the state of affairs lol

Sure, a guy working at the cash register at Walmart store gives you less change back than he should an keeps it for himself. Logically, you call the Walton family. Those 90 year old dudes from the Stones are happy if they can remember where they are playing, they don't know who's working for them. It's a huge machinery. Other people take care of the business, certainly not them. They just take their share.

I'm also aware of the free market. I was just being ironical.

Sorry, I don't want to be confrontational, it's just my take. ;)

Last edited:
Just saw they added a show at the Hard Rock in Florida, 7000 seats. Wonder how much those tix are going for?

I'm over going to stadium shows, except for bands where I'm there for the whole experience and don't need to actually see the band. I love the Stones, although I don't really care about their live shows at this point... but yea I'd love to see them in a smaller place like the Hard Rock.

well...concerts are what they are - a happening - over the years I have had many memorable experiences:
  • 2005 - Almost crushed at a Stones concert when the entire exiting field level audience was routed to a very small gateway - big swaths of the exiting crowd were pressed up against adjacent cement walls.
  • 1977 - pickpocketed at a Boston Concert.
  • 1977 - punched in the head at a Boston concert which was general admission - 10,000 gen admin ticket holders all admitted at once, run for, and fight for. the 1000 best seats.
  • 1979, 1984 - Van Halen, 1977 Kiss - way too goddam loud - Had hearing loss for several days after each - I attribute my current Tinnitus issues to these few shows.
  • 1979 - Rush/Max Webster - barfed on.
  • 200? - Guns N Roses - started 3 hours late - part of Axl's "schtick"
  • 1995 - Paid a fortine for Eagles reunion tickets - our seats were unexpectedly placed behind the sound booth - spent the evening trying not to see the sound guy's fat arse.
  • 1984 - Journey - raindelay - had to leave for work before the show started.
  • 198? - chick poured a drink on me.
  • 1989 - Stones Steel Wheels Tour - bus ride home from Montreal - horrific experience.
  • 1982 - Triumph - Lasers pointed at the audience - not a good idea but who knew in those days.
  • Several 70s/80s Aerosmith Concerts - this band attracts more weirdos than ... and the wierdest wierdos always seem to get seated beside me and want to be my best friend.
  • 2000 - While in Vegas - took my Dad to see Kiss - Ted Nugent who was backup went on a bizarre political rant - Dad was not impressed.
... ... ...
Those were the days - such fond memories

I don't go any more - just watch the blue rays.
I was with you until you said “just watch the blue jays”….

I was with you until you said “just watch the blue jays”….
"blue rays", but ya, the Blue Jays is a much more civilized outing than many concerts I've attended - and who knows, maybe you'll be sitting beside one of your rock idols who's studiously scoring the game:

It's not capitalism because the concert ticket system is a monopoly. Capitalism requires a free market and above all competition to function. There is neither in this case as Ticketmaster owns the market. It's been called out for decades, a few bands like Pearl Jam tried to fight but Ticketmaster won. They control the market and the politicians who refuse to do anything about it. Since the politicians won't do anything about it all we can do is refuse to feed the monster. Since most of us continue to fork out for inflated ticket prices I doubt we will get a change. Who knows, maybe the last members of the big rock band dying is what will bring the system down? As then there will be no more massive stadium concerts, as there is no new generation of massive rock bands to take over.

It's not capitalism because the concert ticket system is a monopoly. Capitalism requires a free market and above all competition to function. There is neither in this case as Ticketmaster owns the market. It's been called out for decades, a few bands like Pearl Jam tried to fight but Ticketmaster won. They control the market and the politicians who refuse to do anything about it. Since the politicians won't do anything about it all we can do is refuse to feed the monster. Since most of us continue to fork out for inflated ticket prices I doubt we will get a change. Who knows, maybe the last members of the big rock band dying is what will bring the system down? As then there will be no more massive stadium concerts, as there is no new generation of massive rock bands to take over.
Good points - it's not a crime but it should be at least for the ticketing aspect of it - as you suggest, a case for government intervention/regulation which I believe can yield a healthier capitalism when done effectively in the right areas (the challenge is: who determines what's effective and how) - but many would disagree and say let the market work it out which is where we seem to be. Ya, we vote with our dollars and so we are perpetuating the current system.

Personally, I will not pay high ticket prices and so have been to very few events in the last 10 years or so despite being a concert junkie earlier in life. I love the swagger of those iconic bands of the 70s but its all nostalgia for me - bands like the Stones are leveraging peoples' memory of another time and place bolstered by big light shows - few, if any of them can replicate the youthful musical energy and style that made them. Yes it is dying a slow sad death - not sure what replaces those monster rock acts if anything.

Who knows, maybe the last members of the big rock band dying is what will bring the system down? As then there will be no more massive stadium concerts, as there is no new generation of massive rock bands to take over.

I am of the opinion that's exactly what's going to happen to Ticketmaster/Live Nation and I'll dance on their grave...the days of 'the big rock bands' that can sell-out stadiums and generate huge $$$$ are definitely going the way of the dinosaur. Even the pop/rap/EDM bands/artists that can fill stadiums are very far and few between. Ticketmaster, et al, will still exist, but they are going to see revenues tumble and execs will fondly remember 'the golden years' when business 'was good'.

It's bittersweet though, as my favorite rock bands are dying out, literally...the next few years will bring about the end of that era.

Back
Top Bottom