Axe-Fx Firmware Release Version 17.01 Release Candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not the point; yes, I disabled it and there was no more issues. But should there be that much latency when enabled? Have you tried this preset out?

If you enable the pitch shifter with shifting at 0 it will add this big latency. Don't do it as Cliff would say ;)

Just bypass it or set the mix to 0.

That's not the point; yes, I disabled it and there was no more issues. But should there be that much latency when enabled? Have you tried this preset out?
I haven't tried it.

The recommendation when using the Pitch block is to disable it when not in use. Leaving it enabled with the shift at 0 causes undesirable results. I don't recall if that's only the Virtual Capo type or not.

Don't know if it was introduced with this fw or earlier, but the comb filter delay type in the MultiDly block is addictive with just the stock settings already.
How am I ever to get past scratching the surface? So many distracting toys :D

I haven't tried it.

The recommendation when using the Pitch block is to disable it when not in use. Leaving it enabled with the shift at 0 causes undesirable results. I don't recall if that's only the Virtual Capo type or not.
Glad that it's not a bug then. I deleted the Pitch block in that preset.

Thanks to Cliff and the entire FAS team for this new Beta.

I have a question about it.
Until recently the AxeFx used 170 ms 48KHz 24bit IRs.
So if Cab Block 3 and 4 are FullRes now and It can handle IRs up to 1.37 seconds, shouldn't we use third party IRs of 500ms from now on instead of 200ms?
Is a good Idea to replace all User dedicated spaces to 500ms IRs?
so In Cab Block 1 and 2 they will automatically be cropped to 170ms.
Is it that correct?
I own an AxeFx III mk II, just in case is there any difference in space for this matter.

Thank you so much.

Edit:
Well, thinking this through, This might not work, because I guess that the IRs get truncated to a 170ms before to be recorded into the Axe Fx.
You can load 500ms IR into the FullRes slots and they will be 500ms.

Anybody have advice for using the FullRes room IRs with a 2 amp hard L R signal path? I tried using just the R side of one of the FullRes IRs with my FAS Modern and the Legacy Recto Mix cab paired with it, which is panned hard R. It didn’t sound that great. So some questions:

Does it make sense to align the the Recto Mix cab IR with the Recto Room R? Or are they intended to sound best both at 0 mm?

Can the L and R of a FullRes pair be used individually panned hard L or R? Or is the room IR only intended to be used with a mono input into the stereo pair, and I will lose important room reflection info by only using one side?

How do the Room/Air parameters affect the sound with a FullRes room IR in the cab block mix? Should the Room level be set to 0 when using a FullRes room IR? What about Mic Spacing? How does the Air parameter affect the FullRes IR, or should it also be 0?

Normally I’m fine with just following my ears, but there’s a lot of variables introduced by the FullRes IR capability and I would like to know how they are all intended to work together before I go down the rabbit hole…

Last edited:
Since Full Res is a stereo environment: Panning full Left and Right is the way stereo IRs are derived for phase coherency and a accurate representation of the space. Basically Full Res is a way to expand the capabilities of processing Impulse Responses in real time.

A mono room mic would generally sound pretty weird along with a main stereo signal. But that might be the perfect dead space effect for some sullen dirgy ballad. Halloween Foley effects?

I feel I'm better off just using a stereo reverb than a mono room mic IR for a believable sense of space. Going the other way is useful: Stereo room mics for a mono cabinet can bring out the beamy sense of mono amp in space if you do it right (for recording). I just try stuff and use my ears.

I also like turning FullRes OFF for that refreshing In Your Face sound.

I feel I'm better off just using a stereo reverb than a mono room mic IR for a believable sense of space. Going the other way is useful: Stereo room mics for a mono cabinet can bring out the beamy sense of mono amp in space if you do it right (for recording). I just try stuff and use my ears.

Not long ago, in the thread about finding a way to simuate the FullRes sound via the reverb block, I posted a reverb block that has become a part of EVERY preset around these parts.

Got some play time with the 3rd generation tweak of it today, and dialed it back a little bit to perfection - you don't hear sound + early reflections any more, you hear sound with a sense of space around it. The little bit of early reflections gives the side speakers in the SpaceStation something to work with, and it just sounds like it exists in 3D space rather than straight out of a monitor.

The reverb block works awesomely for cleaner stuff, but likes to be dialed back a bit for dirt. I have the input level tied to the same controller jacking up the gain on the amp, so that as you step on the gas for your lead, it dries out from that imperceptible 'sense of space' reverb to a drier more 'in your face' sound. It sounds like the amp steps forward and closer to the bandleader's microphone for your solo, like the sax player or clarinetist would do for his solo in the big band days....

I suspect one could do the same kind of tweaks with the FullRes IRs and achieve the same results, but even more realistically....
:)

Since Full Res is a stereo environment: Panning full Left and Right is the way stereo IRs are derived for phase coherency and a accurate representation of the space. Basically Full Res is a way to expand the capabilities of processing Impulse Responses in real time.

A mono room mic would generally sound pretty weird along with a main stereo signal. But that might be the perfect dead space effect for some sullen dirgy ballad. Halloween Foley effects?

Thanks for the info, but in case I wasn’t clear, I’m using a 2 amp preset panned hard R L. It’s basically dual mono. There is no mono room mic alongside the stereo signal, the two L R amp paths are discrete and do not get summed at any point.

Non FullRes Legacy IRs sound fine panned fully to one side, I guess because they are all mono to begin with, is that correct?

Still possible. Add Mix to the Perform page, and turn it down when not using the VC.

I wonder if Cliff can implement an internal "bypass" if the shift value is set to 0 so that the block behaves like it is bypassed in that case. That would simplify the global virtual capo for things like "the drop" replacement a lot.

…. I do not upgrade to bêta , so envious to try thé shimmer verbs ,
Is a release candidate more sure and nearly close to thé final release …??;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom