FM3 into an Alto TS315, couple questions.

mortega76

Fractal Fanatic
Hello All...

I am still getting used to my FM3 connected into my Alto TS315 and I wanted to ask a couple questions. I currently have a Parametric EQ as the last block in my preset from pink noise test with a Sonarworks XREF20 mic (ear level) to adjust my Alto TS315's EQ curve to make it more 'flat'.

1. In this thread they talk about not being able to copy/paste (Parametric EQ block) from the front panel... has copy/paste been added yet?
2. It would be better to have the Global output have the option for Parametric EQ. Is this an option?
3. Can the Parametric EQ be setup for more than 5 bands?
4. Ideally it would be awesome to be able to set up an IR as a global EQ, is this possible?
5. Can the Global Output be changed to Parametric EQ instead of the fixed bands?

Thanks again!

P.S. I added my current settings for the Parametric EQ that seemed to give my speaker a little more 'life'.

Attachments

• Alto TS515.jpg
    Alto TS515.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 18
Your best bet is to just use the parametric EQ in the global EQ section (you can select between parametric and graphic EQ for out1 and out 2) and apply the biggest changes measured with Sonarworks. That's what I use for room correction. It's not perfect but it solves the biggest problem areas.

I wish Fractal made the global EQ more versatile with presets and more bands for the parametric or indeed the ability for IR-based correction. It's been requested a long time ago already on the wish list forums.

Also remember that what Sonarworks shows in e.g. the Measure app (which lets you see the frequencies and gain ranges easily for the measurement) is the opposite you want as correction. It shows how the speaker frequency response measures and to make it more flat you want to apply the reverse of that as correction.

Last edited:
Thank you for the quick response!

After you mentioned that the Global EQ can be changed to Parametric, I did some digging and found the setting! Thanks for that! I was a bit disappointed that Band 1 and Band 5 are hard coded for Shelving instead of Peaking. So I'm stuck using the PEQ 1 block.

Since Sonarworks requires a stereo setup to test, I was stuck using the Synth block pushing Pink Noise and then I used ProQ3's Match feature to give me a simplified output so I can somewhat match it better with the Parametric EQ. It would be cool if the FM3 had some sort of auto corrective EQ with a couple of default mics (SM57, SM58, Sonarworks Mic, etc...)

On another note, I didn't realize that there were two PEQ blocks... I'm going to try to run both and see what I get.

I re-ran my Pink Noise Match to 13 bands and ended up with these 10 bands that even at low volume (wife is asleep) adds more mid detail. I'm trying to set this up to not have to take my Mesa Triple Rec with Mesa 2x12 Cab out to gigs any more.

Attachments

• Alto TS515.jpg
    Alto TS515.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 11
After you mentioned that the Global EQ can be changed to Parametric, I did some digging and found the setting! Thanks for that! I was a bit disappointed that Band 1 and Band 5 are hard coded for Shelving instead of Peaking. So I'm stuck using the PEQ 1 block.
Yes it would be nice if you could change that so it has some compromises. You could use the graphic EQ block just as well because as said, close enough is more than good enough here. For the parametric global EQ there is usually no real harm if you are shelving at the low end because guitar doesn't have much going in that region anyway.

I still think using the global EQ even with its compromises is better so you don't need to make sure you copy your preset with the PEQ blocks to every preset you make.

For example on my studio monitor setup and room most of the issues are in the low end like a big boost at 130 Hz and correcting those does wonders for the clarity of tone.

As Sonarworks also measures the response for left/right separately I've generally averaged the gain changes a bit if they differ enough between my speakers.

Currently my global EQs are set so that parametric EQ is room correction for my studio monitors and graphic EQ is correction for my Sennheiser HD6XX headphones. That allows me to use them kind of as presets depending which device I use.

Yes it would be nice if you could change that so it has some compromises. You could use the graphic EQ block just as well because as said, close enough is more than good enough here. For the parametric global EQ there is usually no real harm if you are shelving at the low end because guitar doesn't have much going in that region anyway.

I still think using the global EQ even with its compromises is better so you don't need to make sure you copy your preset with the PEQ blocks to every preset you make.

For example on my studio monitor setup and room most of the issues are in the low end like a big boost at 130 Hz and correcting those does wonders for the clarity of tone.

As Sonarworks also measures the response for left/right separately I've generally averaged the gain changes a bit if they differ enough between my speakers.

Currently my global EQs are set so that parametric EQ is room correction for my studio monitors and graphic EQ is correction for my Sennheiser HD6XX headphones. That allows me to use them kind of as presets depending which device I use.
I have the 650's and they do sound great indeed! I prefer them over my BD DT 770's.

For Sonarworks... have you found a way to profile a single mono speaker?

Back
Top Bottom